Customer Service 866.965.0400

Other Use for Coating Prep?

galaxy

Question

I know there are some products out there like erasers and IPA wipedowns (not a fan), which got me to thinking...would Coating Prep be a good product to remove oils and such left over from polishing and prepare the surface for any last step product, not just a coating?

7 answers to this question

23 hours ago, galaxy said:

I know there are some products out there like erasers and IPA wipedowns (not a fan), which got me to thinking...would Coating Prep be a good product to remove oils and such left over from polishing and prepare the surface for any last step product, not just a coating?

As Shane said 'YES!'.  I am not sure why Adam's does not advertise this use for the Coating Prep.  This type of product works a little better than diluted IPA, as it has some 'lubrication'.

+4 (but iso/water is much more cost effective, if that matters)

1 hour ago, LSX Maestro said:

Absolutely, much safer than rubbing alcohol/water and will do the job nicely.  

James, question - what's "unsafe" about iso/water? I've used it multiple times without any adverse effects, at least none that I can notice. But I will certainly give you it doesn't smell near as awesome!

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

+4 (but iso/water is much more cost effective, if that matters)

James, question - what's "unsafe" about iso/water? I've used it multiple times without any adverse effects, at least none that I can notice. But I will certainly give you it doesn't smell near as awesome!

Well, per reading a post by Dan (I believe) about this before, Coating Prep has more lubricity due to other added ingredients to lift and remove contaminates without scratching or just pushing them around. I guess if your surface is completely clean this shouldn't matter, but considering that dust and lint from a towel even can micro-swirl if roughed around, then I would say Coating Pre is safer. Iso/Water is what I use still, but if you have access to CP then I'd use it in place of Iso/Water.  (Hey I'm just a noob though)

Edited by LSX Maestro

1 minute ago, LSX Maestro said:

Well, per reading a post by Dan (I believe) about this before, Coating Prep has more lubricity due to other added ingredients to lift and remove contaminates without scratching or just pushing them around.  Iso/Water is what I use still, but if you have access to CP then I'd use it in place of Iso/Water.  

Ok, thanks. I would hope the clay already removed any contaminants and polish shouldn't leave any, but I guess to each his/her own. Like I said, though, the Prep certainly smells better!