Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detail spray before LPS?

BG SQ5

Question

Is it okay to use detail spray prior to liquid paint sealant, or will it inhibit the LPS's ability to bond to the paint?

I don't have any coating prep but could use 50% isopropyl if that's deemed best.  There's just a tad of dust on the paint is all.  It's stripped washed though.

Edited by BG SQ5

8 answers to this question

16 hours ago, BG SQ5 said:

Is it okay to use detail spray prior to liquid paint sealant, or will it inhibit the LPS's ability to bond to the paint?

I don't have any coating prep but could use 50% isopropyl if that's deemed best.  There's just a tad of dust on the paint is all.  It's stripped washed though.

In my opinion, your best bet is to use the 50/50 mix of IPA if you don't have the prep spray.  You want to have the paint as clean as possible to promote the best bond between the LPS and the paint.  I sealed two of my vehicles over the Thanksgiving break and used the IPA mix. The results were fantastic.  

Edited by ZMAN024

For LPS, I know one time I didn't used anything after polishing and another time I think I detailed.  Today I used IPA, and it worked just fine.  I could definitely tell that the surface was squeaky clean.   However, WW is a very interesting idea, and I'd like to hear more around that.  I have read in the past that it's a pretty pure cleaner (as opposed to rinseless diluted 1:16). Regardless, I do intend to order some coating prep next time around.  Thanks for the input guys!  I'll be doing some sort of purposeful wipe down pre-LPS from now on for sure.

16 hours ago, BG SQ5 said:

Yes, I do it all the time.......I also lay down BG before apply PS.

You are going to here different opinions here, this is what I do and I don't feel that it hurts the longevity of the PS.

On 12/3/2017 at 8:53 AM, Chris@Adams said:

Yes, I do it all the time.......I also lay down BG before apply PS.

You are going to here different opinions here, this is what I do and I don't feel that it hurts the longevity of the PS.

Hey Chris, I was worried before about my process because on one of my vehicles, I clayed with Detail Spray (And the water that was still on the paint from rinsing) and then rinsed and then LPSed.  I think DS has a small amount of wax in it. After doing more research it seemed like that DS could have left a weak layer of wax and the PS wasn't on the paints surface.  You think my application will last though?