Customer Service 866.965.0400

Water spots after ceramic coating and boost?

coops18ZR2

Question

Hello all, been a little while since I've checked in.  I wanted to ask a question in regard to water spots.  The first car that I did a paint correction on turned out awesome!  I then followed with the ceramic coating and ceramic boost, again, the results looked amazing!  I just washed the vehicle and noticed water spots all over the place.  While washing the vehicle I was amazed at the difference the coating made in how easily stuff came off and the water sheeting effect.  Needless to say though, I am baffled and really scratching my head as to why I have water spots all over the place!  I have soft water and used Adam's blue car shampoo with foam gun, washed in the shade and pulled into the garage to dry.  The last thing I do before pulling a vehicle into the garage to dry is give the entire vehicle one last rinse to make sure all shampoo is removed and all the surfaces are wet.

What, why, and how did I end up with water spots all over the place on this vehicle after doing the ceramic coating and boost???  Really bummed right now about the results!

Thanks for any input and help on the matter!

Tony

6 answers to this question

It was roughly two weeks before the vehicle saw water/rain after the coating.  My garage is climate controlled and kept between 50%-60% humidity and the temps are kept between 50-70 degrees year round.  I have what you might call a man cave/second home lol!  What really has me boggled with the water spots is on this vehicle the only thing I did the paint correction and coating on was the hood.  The hood is the only place that has water spots, the rest of the vehicle which was washed and followed with H2O G&G looks great.  It was my first time with paint correction and I wanted to focus on just the hood first.  After the paint correction on the hood I used the coating prep spray and cleaned any residue that may be left from the correction and then applied the paint coating.  I waited about 30 hrs before boosting the coating and the vehicle was kept inside the entire time and remained in the garage for about a week after.

Here is the other kicker that is really making wonder.  I fully corrected the paint on my new truck over Thanksgiving.  Spent all of two days getting the finish as perfect as possible and then followed the same procedure from the vehicle with water spots, i.e. coating prep spray and then coated the entire truck.  I waited about the same amount of time before boosting the truck and it turned out absolutely gorgeous!!!  The truck is my daily driver and has seen rain a couple of times since the coating.  Just washed it today and no spots at all and the thing looks just like I got done with the coating and boost, damn near perfect.

The vehicle with the spots on the hood, I can rub them off but holy hell is it difficult!!!  Maybe I didn't get something right with the coating on the vehicle with the spots.  I followed the same process for my truck and it looks gorgeous still.  

Sorry for the long post, wanted to provide as much detail about the procedures I used.

Thanks for the input thus far!

Tony 

49 minutes ago, 2012srt8 said:

Try going over the water spots with brilliant glaze if that doesn't work get out the polisher with finishing polish and a white foam pad. Should fix it and won't remove the coating

Should you go this route, I wouldn’t work the polish too long. It is abrasive and will wear the coating causing it to thin out. Revive hand polish may be a better choice as it’s a chemical polish as opposed to an abrasive polish. 

As for water spots, are you sure you got the water off?  Did you wash anything near it and get overspray on it without realizing it?  It could be any number of things. Give it a good wash to see if it will reactivate any product left on to rinse it off. We typically blow dry, so they come out pretty dry before we touch them with a towel. But we haven’t had any water spot issues. 

Do you have photos you can post?  Visuals may help in this case.