Customer Service 866.965.0400

Finishing Polish technique

joelilton23

Question

Hey all!

Got a couple of questions on finishing polish:

1. Is a slow or faster arm speed recommended?
  2. What speed should I have my polisher set on? (SK 12MM)
  3. Do I still do the same amount of passes as I would when correcting?

I tried looking for a video, but i couldn't find anything that goes into depth about it - I'm only a weekend warrior, but I am looking at stepping my technique and results up to the next level.

If there's an Adam's video that goes into it that I couldn't find, can someone post it here please?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

When polishing you usually want a faster speed. I’m not sure of the settings on the SK machines, but on our Rupes we are usually between 3.5-5 for a speed setting. The final setting varies based on the polish and pad combo being used. Sometimes the lower side of fast will give a better cut since the polish can do the work with less heat buildup. 

As far as arm speed goes, use a similar motion to correcting polish. After a few uses and experimentation, you’ll figure out the best combo for you and your equipment. 

Youll want to work in a cross hatch pattern as described and you’ll want to work the polish until it flashes and becomes similar in nature to Vaseline. We usually work a small section that best represents the overall condition of the car to really get a feel for what processes are needed (or more importantly not needed) before tackling the whole vehicle. This way we don’t overwork an area that doesn’t need it. If we have a particularly damaged area, we can go after that area only with more aggressive techniques. 

Good luck!  You’re about to take your weekend warrior to the next level. 

On 12/18/2017 at 11:10 PM, shane@detailedreflections said:

When polishing you usually want a faster speed. I’m not sure of the settings on the SK machines, but on our Rupes we are usually between 3.5-5 for a speed setting. The final setting varies based on the polish and pad combo being used. Sometimes the lower side of fast will give a better cut since the polish can do the work with less heat buildup. 

As far as arm speed goes, use a similar motion to correcting polish. After a few uses and experimentation, you’ll figure out the best combo for you and your equipment. 

Youll want to work in a cross hatch pattern as described and you’ll want to work the polish until it flashes and becomes similar in nature to Vaseline. We usually work a small section that best represents the overall condition of the car to really get a feel for what processes are needed (or more importantly not needed) before tackling the whole vehicle. This way we don’t overwork an area that doesn’t need it. If we have a particularly damaged area, we can go after that area only with more aggressive techniques. 

Good luck!  You’re about to take your weekend warrior to the next level. 

Thanks, Shane!

I'll be giving this a go on my partners Mazda this weekend. The paint is in really good condition - I removed most of the small water marks and light scratching last weekend, and now I really want to make the metallic pop! Thanks for the helpful hints :rockon: