Customer Service 866.965.0400

rookie back, got another customer, BLACK CAR HELP!!!

enoch7fa

Question

OK girl form my church heard i was a weekend warrior detailer.  wants me to detail inside and outside.  she has a black car!!! i was ok at first but a friend scared me we he asked have i ever detailed a black car.  i said i washed some but not detail or paint correction. he started laughing and said good luck.  do i need to be nervous??? i looked at her car for a few minutes, outside is real dirty.  a Honda sonata bout 2 years old.  but she usually takes it to a car wash with the sanding machine stuff.   paint full of swirls now.  was thinking bout using the new one step been hearing a lot of good things bout it.  with the quick look i didn't see any scratches if there is they or probably minor.  was thinking of using a orange pad.   guess my question is how do i know when a blue pad or blue compound is going to be needed? or maybe the microfiber pad? what condition make is necessary to move up to them? this is going to be my first big job.  she told me to recommend what i needed and don't worry bout what she has to pay for.  i said a inside/outside detail and paint correction and polish. also i told her to get ready for winter with what i call a window detail ( clean-decontaminate with clay or etc, etc,- seal- and boost don't steal my idea!!!! ) lol!   will also recommend paint seal. but now i am scared because i see so many videos on black cars like they are tough to deal with.   i will take any advice you have!!

the man

the myth

the legend

the rookie

6 answers to this question

Let’s see. Where to begin with all of these questions. It sounds like you have limited experience with detailing, and also in detailing for dollars. My biggest word of caution to you is to not overstate your ability to a client. Some of the questions you ask make me wonder how much time you’ve spent with a polisher on paint?  I don’t say this negatively, but rather as a sense of business in how do you price a job when you don’t really know what it entails to provide the results the client is looking for?

Black vehicles use the same process any other vehicle requires. The difference is that black will show every imperfection there is. Swirls, buffer trails, pig tails, etc. there is no hiding them on black paint in direct sunlight. That’s part of the challenge in tackling a black vehicle. Black vehicles for us typically require more than a single step paint polish to get the results we are after. If the vehicle is heavily swirled as it sounds it is, an all in one like the one-step might not provide the cutting power/finish you’re after.

A few questions for you come to mind.  What type of polisher/polishers are you using?  What pads do you have experience with?  How much experience do you have in paint correction?  What other tools do you have at your disposal?  Different compounds, paint thickness gauge (a must in my opinion if you’re charging clients to work on their vehicle), lighting etc. 

Paint correction and polishing are similar, but not exactly the same. A paint correction is more when you’re aiming for perfection in the paint. Paint polishing is giving a number of steps and the results “are what they are.” I’m very clear to not use correction unless my client is paying for that (which is done strictly hourly in cost). 

What is your lighting setup like?  We use harsh LED lighting to help find the imperfections in the paint. We always want to see a vehicle in its worst condition to understand how to fix it. You mentioned the vehicle is very dirty currently. This will make finding scratches difficult as well as seeing the depth of swirls. 

Your pad pad and polish combination will depend on what you have available for equipment. We use Rupes polishers and have everything from wool pads with compounds that you can feel the abrasive in to soft pads with finishing polishes. Based on experience we will always take a guess at a process and test a small damaged section to see if we get the results we want. Once we are satisfied, we will then move on to the rest of the vehicle. If we find an area with more damage, we may change pads/polish to attack a particular area of scratch before going back to the base process. Black typically requires finishing polish on top of a correcting polish to get the absolute best results. Especially if it’s paint that hasn’t been maintained.

We always measure vehicles paint thickness before and after we work on them to make sure we aren’t taking off too much clear coat. It’s easy to get carried away chasing perfection and not realize how much material you’re removing. Once the mayoral is gone, it’s gone. If you’re collecting money in exchange for service, you’re then on the hook for the repaint and clear of that panel. 

If if you’re going to suggest a sealant anyway (which is a good idea), my opinion would be to skip the one step product and use a correcting polish followed by finishing polish and sealant. This will provide a good finish and durability. 

As for what pads to use, there’s too many factors to make a solid recommendation. Microfiber pads cut faster than foam pads. They also load up more and need to be brushed out more often to allow them to work. 

There are a lot of forces at play in what you’re trying to accomplish based upon this post and others you’ve made. The best advice I can give you as someone who’s gone through (and continues to go through) the process of opening a business is to find an experienced detailer that will mentor you as you gain experience. You will constantly reinvest in new equipment and products as you settle on what to use. We recently switched pad manufacturers as we kept trying new things. 

From the sounds of your posts, I’d be slightly hesitant to collect money for paint correction services based on your experience currently. Once you’ve done enough of your vehicles and friends vehicles to have the experience under your belt, along with the confidence to deliver the results you promise someone, then start charging. We did a fair number of vehicles as hobbyists for materials and pizza/beer before taking money and promising results. It allowed us to help out friends and build experience. It helped establish time estimates for jobs to figure out pricing.

I’m not one to advocate for discounted work (anyone who’s read my posts regarding business knows that) since you’re training your client to pay less. The flip side is you need the experience to be confident in delivering your promised results. Figure all of that out, then start pursuing clients at the rates you want to charge. Your true friends and supporters will then support you and your business by paying a fair price for your work as you will be an experienced professional. 

Food for thought. Your mileage may vary. 

I agree with all of the above in the professional sense. However Cedric, you don't sound like a professional and it doesn't sound like the girl thinks that you are a professional. And that is ok, we all have to start somewhere. 

Now what I mean by that is she probably doesn't know what a "swirl" is so chasing perfection on this car (which will inevitably be ruined again at the auto wash) is a waste of your time and money.  What I would focus on is getting the car really clean with a good layer of sealant, and the new AIO on an orange pad would be a great (fast and efficient for the results I think you need) way to make the car look much better without putting in 20 hours of correction on a black car that most likely won't stay corrected.

My recommendation would be:

Strip wash

Clay

Polish with AIO or Correcting Polish

Paint Sealant

Glass Sealant

Interior

I'm gonna take this up a level. My biggest piece of advice: be honest with her about your level of experience to manage expectations. I sense some hesitation and that's ok. Frankly, black is a doozie to start with. You may not get perfection, and as Jake said, she may not be looking for it, either. So set some basic levels of expectation (e.g., some swirls may still be noticeable, but the car will be clean and protected, and the added shine will be evident), and ensure she's ok with that before your proceed. Essentially, tell her what the steps are, why you'll do them, and what the expected results will be. She may even decide not to have it polished just yet because, as I'd recommend you tell her, "perfect" paint before winter may not be the ideal soution right now, anyway.

Couple other tips: 1) consider concentrating a little more on the interior to balance some of the exterior work and, 2) take some before and after pics to show her, post here and save for your records for (potential) future clients.

3 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

I'm gonna take this up a level. My biggest piece of advice: be honest with her about your level of experience to manage expectations. I sense some hesitation and that's ok. Frankly, black is a doozie to start with. You may not get perfection, and as Jake said, she may not be looking for it, either. So set some basic levels of expectation (e.g., some swirls may still be noticeable, but the car will be clean and protected, and the added shine will be evident), and ensure she's ok with that before your proceed. Essentially, tell her what the steps are, why you'll do them, and what the expected results will be. She may even decide not to have it polished just yet because, as I'd recommend you tell her, "perfect" paint before winter may not be the ideal soution right now, anyway.

Couple other tips: 1) consider concentrating a little more on the interior to balance some of the exterior work and, 2) take some before and after pics to show her, post here and save for your records for (potential) future clients.

:iagree: As long as you’re managing expectations of both yourself and your client, go for it. Utilize safe practices. Least to most aggressive. Remember that a happy client tells a few people. An unhappy one tells everyone. 

One point to add since the difference between professional and not professional has been brought up is that technically any time you accept money in exchange for services, you’re considered a professional in many instances. Manage that liability and expectation appropriately. 

ok everyone thanks for advice.  let me clarify some things.  ok i call myself the rookie because i am so i want the advice to be to a rookie.  most of the people i am doing business with no my experience.  i have gotten more business because they see my results.  things i have learned from here on forums and adams polishes videos and on utube and some people i know who used to be detailers.  so i am not over selling myself and my experience or skill.   i have gotten some good comments from all my customers, well friends , family, neighbors who are sad that i am starting to charge money now because they have had great looking cars that i experiment on and they have getting free washes and other thing 3 or 4 times a month lololol.  but i feel i can do this and it is time to get paid.  i am very cautious at this point which is why i asked the question bout black paint.  just wanted advise before i do anything.  but i got to start sometime and get my feet wet.  i will take advice talk to her bout what to expect lean towards polishing but will  use orange pad.  got some family with dark cars i can practice on lol they will be ecstatic lololol.  oh and i am not a cheating my customers my prices right now are well below what i scouted around for months to see what other charge mostly.  i am right not just getting money back for supplies and keeping wife off my back by giving her all my earnings lolol.  ok i am a addict!!!! you got a problem with it buddy!!!!!  this is a important one though. if i can get her car looking good people in my church will come looking me up!