Customer Service 866.965.0400

Newbie starting...

Badbird2000

Question

Hey guys. I have been a customer of Adams for years, mainly the cleaners and tire shine, some of the early waxes. I try and keep my Silverado in decent shape. I was at the county recycling center Saturday, dropping off my Christmas tree. Had it leaning up against the bed cover, and it slipped off and scraped down the tailgate. Oh crap. I don't have pictures, the truck is dirty and it hasn't been above freezing in what seems like forever. When we do thaw out and I can access the damage, i'm going to try some Revive by hand and see if that works. If not, I guess my next step would be a Porter Cable 7424. How much damage can I do with that? I helped out a buddy years ago, buffing out cars (started with my one p.o.s. out of a junkyard), so I am familiar with the process. I know to go slow, and read the tutorials. Any other advice?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Revive doesn't have much correcting power at all. Instead, it's meant more for "near perfect" paint to add pop/restore gloss. Sounds like you need a little more. Does your fingernail catch on the scratch? If so, it may not be easily corrected, so several passes may be needed (or even wet sanding, in extreme cases). I have and use the PC7424, and while it's a dated machine (Swirl Killers are highly regarded in these parts), it will get the job done. And to answer your question, no, it won't damage the paint as long as you use basic, sound practices. I recommend you pick up some Heavy Correcting Compound and some Correcting Polish - or even consider the new 1-step polish as reviews have been positive on here - as well as the blue, blue white, and orange pads. As a general rule, most agree to start with the least aggressive method (CP with orange pad, in this case), and work your way up as necessary. Work slowly in a cross-hatch pattern, changing pads/polish when needed.

Watch the videos here http://adamspolishes.com/video for some extra insight.

And as always, feel free to ask any more questions you have.

A pc is a good way to start and to learn.  Easy to use, and not as tough as a flex.   The Revive will do some filling for minor scratches.  And like Chris said, the correcting polish should take care of the worst of it. This weather sucks for us guys in the cold states. 

45 minutes ago, Badbird2000 said:

Thanks guys. I did the thumbnail test, can't feel it. I'l try Revive, but I'm really using this as an excuse to buy a PC. But, on that note, how do the swirl killers compare? 

The Swirl Killer is a better polisher. Less vibration, better correction, and will cover more area in less time. It is also user friendly so learning how to use it is easy.