Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to take care of a Ceramic Coated car

User12345

Question

13 answers to this question

The answers are both universal, and product dependent. So it may take some questions to get the information you’re looking for. 

What type of coating are you using?  Adam’s Polishes uses a ceramic boost product to maintain their coatings. Others use different/similar sprays. Some don’t require a top spray. So the end step product is brand dependent. 

For a ceramic product to function correctly, it needs to be kept clean. The number one cause of people thinking their coating isn’t right, is it needs decontamination. Once or twice a year we recommend doing an iron decontamination of your vehicle. We will also do a very light clay with a soft clay bar. Do not go aggressively as you will risk marring. 

We do not recommend using detail spray or guard and gloss. They won’t damage your coating, but they will change how the coating works and how hydrophobic it is. 

For a quick detail spray type product, use waterless wash or you can use matte detail spray. Waterless being the more ideal product. 

Hope this helps. 

I emailed Adam himself the other day about using detail spray and H20 guard and gloss after watching him apply it to his coating SUV in their winter washing video on YouTube. He said that neither product with affect the coatings water beading abilities or life of the coating. I was really surprised to hear this after always believing that the coating should not have any other products other than ceramic boost applied to it.

16 minutes ago, Wy_detailing said:

I emailed Adam himself the other day about using detail spray and H20 guard and gloss after watching him apply it to his coating SUV in their winter washing video on YouTube. He said that neither product with affect the coatings water beading abilities or life of the coating. I was really surprised to hear this after always believing that the coating should not have any other products other than ceramic boost applied to it.

I think it still begs the question to be asked of if ceramics are "lower" maintenance, what is the benefit of being resealed with G&G or similar products?  I coated my daily driver for ease of maintenance.  It no longer requires the all day detail to make it look acceptable to me as a daily.  Wash, dry.  Enjoy.  

I coated my garage queen simply for the enhanced gloss.  It's driven approximately 5000 miles per year, so wear isn't a concern.  

I guess I just don't see the need to negate the benefits of a coating by constantly applying product to it since its lifespan is significantly longer than traditional waxes/sealants.

Not trying to be argumentative as much as I'm trying to encourage some discussion.  We can all learn more and improve our craft.

Not sure on the coating that was applied, it was done professionally by the previous owner of vehicle. I see there are special car soaps for ceramic coatings, does it matter if I use them or can I stick to the adam's car shampoo. Car isn't a daily, I just don't want to degrade the coating. Previous owner said the coating has a 10yr guarantee. I've never had a ceramic coated car, I've always used sealants and wax's.

Thanks

Sounds to me like Ceramic Pro as their one of the most widely used coatings that push a huge warranty. Wash it with soap, top with ceramic boost every now and then. Once or twice a year, do an iron decon of the paint and a light clay (light with fine clay is important). Live happy. 

Ill weigh in on this as I recently touched up a Jaguar that I had paint corrected before he sent it off to ceramic coat.

Owner had it outside while a crew was washing away salt from the service drive area and blew it all over the car.

Follow simple methods to wash. car shampoo, dried with GG and touched up areas with DS. car looked as the day I corrected it except in one spot the

people who applied the coating didn't wipe down a correctly so there is spots under the coating. It sits inside mostly so should I have not used the GG on it?

Just now, Dr.Bora said:

Ill weigh in on this as I recently touched up a Jaguar that I had paint corrected before he sent it off to ceramic coat.

Owner had it outside while a crew was washing away salt from the service drive area and blew it all over the car.

Follow simple methods to wash. car shampoo, dried with GG and touched up areas with DS. car looked as the day I corrected it except in one spot the

people who applied the coating didn't wipe down a correctly so there is spots under the coating. It sits inside mostly so should I have not used the GG on it?

Guard and gloss is a sealant designed to bond to the paint.  You didn't harm anything by using the GG on it, but what was the benefit?  The point of coating a car is to provide a long lasting finish.  Some coatings have a spray top layer (CarPro, Adam's, etc).  Usually wash, decon, clay and apply top agent.  When we go back to applying other products, you can change how the coating reacts to water and you negate some of the benefits.

Most coatings that seem to not be as hydrophobic as when applied are due to not being decontaminated.  Once that's done, the coating will function as when it was installed provided it hasn't worn off (longevity varies with coatings).

What are you referring to when saying "needs to be decontaminated"? I understand decon as removing iron, which harsher chemicals are used, or using a clay bar to remove dirt that's in the clear before applying a wax or sealant.

I don't think that the guard and gloss negated any of the benefits of the coating but added a gloss finish per what its designed to do. The water didn't bead as I would expect with the ceramic before applying it and once the gloss was applied the water beaded as it should. Maybe the coating wasn't done correctly? didn't seem to be done wrong or unevenly applied.

Of course the water would bead up after appyling GG.  It's hydrophobic in nature.  Do you know what brand of coating it was?  Some coatings get their durability from the base layer, and their hydophobic properties from a top layer?  Gtechniq does this when layering their different products at the time of application.  Same with CQuartz when you top the coating with Reload.  Also keep in mind that the coatings shed water, so you may not see beading like with a wax or a sealant. 

Your milage may vary, but I'm not in favor of applying a sealant over a coating unless it's designed to work with the ceramics.  It seems counter productive and not necessary. 

Do you know what brand of coating you were working with?  That may help to provide some insight.

Wasn't told what they used. The dealership he purchased it from gave him the service after he took delivery since it was in bad shape from sitting at the dock so he may not even know which product was used.

So instead of using the GG, the ceramic boost should be used? Does it matter which coating is used or is it a test a spot and see how it looks kinda thing?

If the dealer installed the coating, it's probably not one of the high end coatings that are available.  Simoniz is commonly in dealerships here, which isn't known as a strong product in the detailing world.  Couple that with "dealer installed," and the results could be anything.  There's so many variables in that scenario, who knows what was left for coating to begin with?  My guess is the coating itself may be having issues.

And yes, I personally would have used the Ceramic Boost as it's designed for use on a Ceramic coating where GG is designed for use on paint surfaces.  The two products have similar effect, but different makeup. 

I'd always do a little test spot, but that's just out of an abundance of caution and done with nearly any product on an unknown surface.