Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do you become a forum moderator

the Camaro show

Question

8 answers to this question

I love it.  Um let's see.  Adam asked me around 12 years ago (maybe a year less) when he started this forum.  You have to be experienced, good looking, and smart.  And willing to answer every dumb question that comes along without being a smartass.  

Benefits?   Well, the best one is the people I've met on here and come to be friends with.  Aside from that............what more can you want?  

Are you looking for just free stuff? If so you don’t become a mod for that reason. I’m still fairly new to this forum but not new to the forum community. Your going about it all wrong and you’ve gotta be asked 99% of time. Not a position you ask for. Just my .02 in years in the forum community. 

To answer your question (seriously).  You are invited to be a moderator.  But moderators are only invited as needed, and it takes a good while. You have to be active on the forum, make contributions to the forums, use and endorse the products, and have knowledge about how to use them properly.  As for freebies............we sometimes will get to try or test a new product before it comes out, but not always.  It depends on where we live pretty much.  I live in the northeast and my cars don't get detailed as much in the winter, so for me to test a new wax or soap is kind of pointless because I might not be able to get to it for months.  And that doesn't help anyone.  As far as I know, the moderator board is full at the moment, and most of us have been here for years.  I've been here since nearly day 1.  

So if you think you want to help the forum, then make good posts, review products, write reviews, and be a contributing member.  And who knows, maybe in a year or two your turn may come. 

Rich hit it spot on, from being a mod and or admin on several boards related to other hobbies of mine I can say that its really about just being there regularly, and contributions. Helpful ones, fun ones, and supportive ones. 

I will say thou, that being a mod while seeming fun and awesome is almost a full time forum job. It is a lot more than you can realize at times and quickly become a reason to not want to be there. I have a lot of respect for the mods as I fully understand the amount of time that it takes to come on regularly, help everyone and ensure that the peace is kept.