Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rupes Mille or Flex 3401

Ls1transam

Question

I am going to buy one of these polisher this year. I really want to try one of these forced rotation DA’s out. I know the Mille isn’t out yet here in the states. But what are your all’s thoughts on the Flex? What type of pro’s and con’s come with the forced rotation? I’m sure the Mille will be more refined and polished than the Flex. 

18 answers to this question

I have the Rupes 15 and 21 as well as a Flex 3401. I also have used Adams Swirl Killer 15 a lot. I do not use my Flex much and recently pulled it out to see how it felt compared to the Rupes and Swirl Killer. I was surprised how much I do not care for the Flex anymore. I think it is do to the longer throw of the Rupes and Swirl Killer. The Rupes/SK also have a more refined feel to them. 

The Rupes/SK have more then enough power to handle the worst of scratches or swirls. If you are set on getting a forced rotation polisher I would wait for the Millie and see how that works. 

The MKII polishers are definitely more powerful than the original Rupes 15 and 21. That being said I have used the MKII polishers several times but I own the older Rupes 15, 21 and LHR 75, they get used all the time. My Flex 3401 that I've had for at least 4-5 years doesn't get used as often anymore, only on trashed paint with harder clear coats. It really only gets used for the initial cut and I finish with the Rupes or Swirlkiller.  If you have your heart set on a forced rotation polisher, the Flex is a good machine, I can't speak to the Rupes to be released next month. 

We haven’t used a Mille yet. Part of me wants to get rid of our new 21 mkII for it!  The Mille is going to be more powerful with its gear driven forced rotation. 

Keep in in mind that forced rotation has more risk of damage without good technique. Technique matters!

I had a chance to try out the mille at the RUPES booth at Mobile Tech Expo over the weekend, and it is very smooth, especially when compared with the FLEX 3401.  It does not 'walk' body line as forcefully as the 3401, but it still grabs them.  It runs 5.5" or 6.5" pads (comes with 2 backing plates), and I think it had a 5.5" wool finishing pad on it in the pictures.  I tried it with that pad and a 5.5" foam pad.

During the Bigfoot class on the 3 types of polishers in the line (long-throw, gear driven, and rotary), they recommended this polisher for ease of use for a new person (shop setting), as it has no learning curve when compared the the long-throws (pad flat to keep it rotating, etc.), but the long-throw was the overall winner. 

However RUPES is selling these new polishers as part of their system.  The mille has its own pads that are different from the long throws - thinner, as no need to worry about the torque load on the pads.  They will also have their own polishes too - a cutting and a polishing product, and are color-coded to the pads (blue and yellow, I think).  I don't remember the differences in the gear driven polishes vs. the other 2, but it made sense at the time!   

I am still torn over this or the 3401.  If I found a good used 3401 with the small backing plate, I may go that direction.  

Similar shape to the free-spinning random orbital machines:

IMAG1147.thumb.jpg.905236b1c84eb07f4e362322ead1a65f.jpg

IMAG1148.thumb.jpg.80301cde435ee569c3918cdab5044190.jpg

But this shroud over the gears area is very different!

IMAG1149.thumb.jpg.471e05ebf4c4e04189f12bd304c3051c.jpg

2 hours ago, mc2hill said:

I had a chance to try out the mille at the RUPES booth at Mobile Tech Expo over the weekend, and it is very smooth, especially when compared with the FLEX 3401.  It does not 'walk' body line as forcefully as the 3401, but it still grabs them.  It runs 5.5" or 6.5" pads (comes with 2 backing plates), and I think it had a 5.5" wool finishing pad on it in the pictures.  I tried it with that pad and a 5.5" foam pad.

During the Bigfoot class on the 3 types of polishers in the line (long-throw, gear driven, and rotary), they recommended this polisher for ease of use for a new person (shop setting), as it has no learning curve when compared the the long-throws (pad flat to keep it rotating, etc.), but the long-throw was the overall winner. 

However RUPES is selling these new polishers as part of their system.  The mille has its own pads that are different from the long throws - thinner, as no need to worry about the torque load on the pads.  They will also have their own polishes too - a cutting and a polishing product, and are color-coded to the pads (blue and yellow, I think).  I don't remember the differences in the gear driven polishes vs. the other 2, but it made sense at the time!   

I am still torn over this or the 3401.  If I found a good used 3401 with the small backing plate, I may go that direction.  

Similar shape to the free-spinning random orbital machines:

IMAG1147.thumb.jpg.905236b1c84eb07f4e362322ead1a65f.jpg

IMAG1148.thumb.jpg.80301cde435ee569c3918cdab5044190.jpg

But this shroud over the gears area is very different!

IMAG1149.thumb.jpg.471e05ebf4c4e04189f12bd304c3051c.jpg

I’m really torn at the moment myself. I have good technique. But there are situations where the pad just won’t turn. Even in slight contours it stalls. I love everything else about my Rupes though. Wonder how the Mille will do with other polishes and pads? My MKll is suppose to use certain pads and polishes too but, I don’t like Rupes pads or polished so I use another brand and they work amazing on my machine.

1 hour ago, Ls1transam said:

I’m really torn at the moment myself. I have good technique. But there are situations where the pad just won’t turn. Even in slight contours it stalls. I love everything else about my Rupes though. Wonder how the Mille will do with other polishes and pads? My MKll is suppose to use certain pads and polishes too but, I don’t like Rupes pads or polished so I use another brand and they work amazing on my machine.

The pad stalling on curved panels (I did 2 Porsche's recently and ended up using the Mini a lot!) is my reason for looking.  I spoke with Dave from Lake Country, and he said their 'long throw' pads will work for both the RUPES and 3401.  He had not tested with the Mille, so he would not speak on that.  Hopefully I will see him again in March and he will have done some testing.   

I have not used RUPES pads or polishes 'in the field' either, so I don't know that I would buy their 'system' for the Mille.  I get excellent results with my Adam's (and a few other) polishes, and do not think using solely their stuff would make much difference.  The audience at MTE includes shop owners, so that approach makes more sense for them.  The guy speaking with one of the reps at the test hood (it is a red Fiat 500 front clip!) said he purchased thru the corporate buyer, and was looking to buy several Mille's for his shops...  

On 2/1/2018 at 8:20 AM, Ls1transam said:

From what I’ve read the battery life on those isn’t so good. I’m not interested in them 

Battery life is 30 minutes and it comes with 2 batteries so therefore you wont run out. I doubt anyone spends more than 30 continuous minutes on a panel anyway. I enjoyed playing with the new cordless. Kept trying to kick away a cord that wasn't there :blink:

i forgot got to say it takes <30 mins to charge the battery. 

Edited by GXPaycheck

6 hours ago, GXPaycheck said:

Battery life is 30 minutes and it comes with 2 batteries so therefore you wont run out. I doubt anyone spends more than 30 continuous minutes on a panel anyway. I enjoyed playing with the new cordless. Kept trying to kick away a cord that wasn't there :blink:

im def. buying one b/c I don't have a garage anymore.  I've also heard the battery charges pretty fast :)

On 2/1/2018 at 6:44 PM, GXPaycheck said:

i forgot got to say it takes <30 mins to charge the battery. 

On 2/2/2018 at 12:47 AM, JHL88 said:

im def. buying one b/c I don't have a garage anymore.  I've also heard the battery charges pretty fast :)

Reports I got at MTE was 30 minute run time, 40 minutes charge time.  That was 30 (almost) continuous minutes - polish panel, add product, polish panel, etc., by someone that really knows this stuff. 

I do not see myself using one of the cordless polishers for a full car, but if I did this full time I would pick one up for the occasional use when power was not available, or for correcting headlights.    

I did not test these out at MTE, as I would expect them to work like any quality random orbital short-throw polisher.  

Edited by mc2hill

12 hours ago, Ls1transam said:

But it takes more than an hour to polish a vehicle lol. You’d need a ton of batteries for 1 car/truck. I guess there’s a market for that. Just not for me.

You only need the two it comes with. One can be charging while you use the other.  You don’t run out of power. Just swap them out. It takes less than :30 to charge. 

I have a Flex 3401. It will walk you across the car occasionally if you don't keep the pad flat. It can tire out your arms too, but it had great correcting power. The forced rotation is a nice feature. I have had my Flex since 2012. I bought mine from Adam when he sold it.