Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic wheel coating on Raw Aluminum wheels

Tony_G

Question

Just purchased some welds and I am wondering if ceramic wheels coating will be okay for raw aluminum wheels like welds? I originally just planned on using some PS since its cost effective compared to ceramic coating but now im thinking about taking things a step further. I imagine there will be lots of brake dusk and other crud from track use on them and would really like to them easier to clean. The thing I hate the most is how easy uncoated aluminum scratches. I want to keep these as shiny and scratch free as possible.

Edited by Tony_G

10 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You can use wheel coating on the wheels. Polish them to your satisfaction first. 

You can apply the coating with the applicator, or recently we’ve been airbrushing them for better coverage. 

Ive seen a few videos of companies doing ceramic coatings by air brush or paint guns. I thought that was pretty cool! A little too advanced for my skills but I definitely see the added benefits of airbrushing. I know airbrushing it not very difficult(I've airbrushed a few model cars) but is there anything else one should know about this process? Does it use more coating? Do you just spray on, let it sit, then buff away any residue?

5 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You can use wheel coating on the wheels. Polish them to your satisfaction first. 

You can apply the coating with the applicator, or recently we’ve been airbrushing them for better coverage. 

Can you really ever get them polished to your satisfaction?! Lol 

23 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

It’s not difficult. You do use more product for sure since you lose some. But yes, spray evenly and we usually level it the same as other applications but it tends to be on much more evenly. 

Biggest benefit is speed of application and better coverage. 

Once ceramic coated, Can I use regular wheel cleaner? It says on the bottle that it is not recommended for raw aluminum but with a ceramic coating would it create a barrier between the actual aluminum and the wheel cleaner making it safe? I plan on just using eco APC 50:50 dilution for the my wheels but Im mainly curious what you think about using something stronger?

17 hours ago, Tony_G said:

Once ceramic coated, Can I use regular wheel cleaner? It says on the bottle that it is not recommended for raw aluminum but with a ceramic coating would it create a barrier between the actual aluminum and the wheel cleaner making it safe? I plan on just using eco APC 50:50 dilution for the my wheels but Im mainly curious what you think about using something stronger?

If you cleaning them regularly the Wheel Cleaner may be more than is needed.  Remember, even with wheels, try the least aggressive method first - in case probably some Car Wash Shampoo.  I keep it pre-mixed in a spray bottle with a foaming sprayer, and it works fine for my maintained car.  

I agree with Michael.  The wheel cleaner is more than is needed if you're keeping up with them.  With raw aluminum wheels, I'd still stick to mild cleaners even with a coating on them.  You may or may not be able to tell if your coating has wear/damage and you'd hate to get wheel cleaner on them accidentally.  I'd use APC or I still have some of the old "Green Wheel Cleaner" Adam's used to sell that we use for more mild things.

And no Lee, you can't ever get them totally polished to satisfaction sadly.

1 hour ago, mc2hill said:

If you cleaning them regularly the Wheel Cleaner may be more than is needed.  Remember, even with wheels, try the least aggressive method first - in case probably some Car Wash Shampoo.  I keep it pre-mixed in a spray bottle with a foaming sprayer, and it works fine for my maintained car.  

Now that's a great idea! Off to Wally World!!

I have raw aluminum wheels coated and it has been a wonderful experience. These wheels have been the bane of my existence to care for...prior to this coating.  No winter driving yet, but no degradation thus far.  They are less than perfect from years of just being difficult to care for, but they’re not bad. But, since coating they have not digressed again. I have yet to need Wheel Cleaner on them. Soap and water during normal washes and WW for inbetween touch up jobs.  

5 hours ago, galaxy said:

I have raw aluminum wheels coated and it has been a wonderful experience. These wheels have been the bane of my existence to care for...prior to this coating.  No winter driving yet, but no degradation thus far.  They are less than perfect from years of just being difficult to care for, but they’re not bad. But, since coating they have not digressed again. I have yet to need Wheel Cleaner on them. Soap and water during normal washes and WW for inbetween touch up jobs.  

Definitely makes me lean more towards ceramic coating.