Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wetsanding My Shelby-part 2

07stanggt

Question

I posted up some before and after pics of the wet sanding I did on my Shelby on another post on the forum and since I just got it back from adding a new hood, new side and rear splitters, and had my rocker panels, pass and drivers side painted, I thought I would show you the end result. Although there is no wax on the hood (needs to set up first) and only a coat of Brilliant Glaze on the car, the paint after wet sanding and buffing REALLY makes the paint POP !! Couple more things to do still but spring is on the horizon !! 

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_4443.JPG

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

14 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Naylor649 said:

Man every time I see it I say “wow that guy did a killer job on that paint”

Thanks for the comment on the paint. Wetsanding it made all the difference in the world, the paint was always beautiful before, but it ( I ) needed to go to the next level to satisfy my ocd !!

I still need to give it a coat or two of Patriots wax before it hits the road in the spring but it will do for now. 

Here's a couple pics  underneath the hood minus the new throttle body going on soon

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3697.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3662.JPG

That is a serious amount of underhood painting!  Question, how do you keep the underhood clean?  For me the engine compartment seems to have more sand/ grit then dirt and looking at all that wonderful paint how do you not scratch it?  

23 hours ago, BrianT said:

That is a serious amount of underhood painting!  Question, how do you keep the underhood clean?  For me the engine compartment seems to have more sand/ grit then dirt and looking at all that wonderful paint how do you not scratch it?  

It took some time to get it to this point, there some pics posted below of how it was when I got it a couple of years ago, horrid to say the least! I blow it out with my Master Blaster almost every time I come back from a drive, I use a long handled duster to get deep down in the engine bay, I wipe rubber all the hoses  with VRT, all other painted pieces has Brilliant Glaze and Americana on it. Upkeep with it is the key, and it never sees rain !! A little OCD doesn't help either LOL ! I also run painters tape down each side where the hood and quarter panel meet to alleviate any water getting in the engine bay. I do the same with my 2007 GT as well.  

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

1 hour ago, BrianT said:

That's a transformation!!

Thanks. I'm guessing you know those were pictures of my 2007 engine bay pictured in the last 2 photos not the Shelby engine pictured in the first 3 pics ?:unsure: The engine bay in the Shelby was nasty to say the least from the previous owner. It was claimed to be "pristine condition" in the ad, far far from it. It is now !!

8 hours ago, Norton said:

Beautiful job on the wet-sand, Jimmy!  How do I sign-up for  you to do mine, which i consider to be good, but not great?!?

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

Hmmm... I hear its very nice in Colorado in the spring ! I'll pack my bags, sandpaper, my Flex and detailing bag, and I'm there. I'll clean that badboy up for ya, except for the engine bay that looks immaculate !