Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel weight tape removal

azscj

Question

I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning and detailing wheels on this Audi A8.  I have to say these are probably the hardest set of wheels I have ever owned to clean and remove all the brake dust and grime.  Lots of little areas that are really hard to get in and around.  So it take alot of extra time. 

The one thing I wanted to see if anyone has tricks or tips to remove the old wheel weight tape used to attach the wheel weights.  I tried some Goof Off and a plastic scraper but it scratched.  Any other ideas out there?

Some pictures here:

IMG_9457.JPG

IMG_9458.JPG

IMG_9460.JPG

IMG_9462.JPG

11 answers to this question

Goo Gone or something like it might work as well. You can try a heat gun and plastic scraper if you are worried about the chemicals on the when surface. Might need to do somecleanup with alcohol and a rag after scraping, but the as long as you don't get it crazy hot you shouldn't harm the finish.

22 hours ago, azscj said:

Interesting....never seen that before.  Have you tried anything like that before? 

I have used one and I keep one in the toolbox. We commonly use it for debadging vehicles and stripping the residue left behind from the badges. It works well. We always anticipate polishing that area a little bit after to make sure there’s no marks left from the process. It’s simple and goes in a drill. Just keep in mind, the eraser wheel is a wear item so it does have a lifespan.