Customer Service 866.965.0400

falcaineer

Yes, you read the title correctly. Don't believe me? Read on...

About a week ago, my (admittedly outdated LG G3) phone died on me. Out of nowhere, the screen went blue and the phone shut down. It wouldn't turn on, wouldn't take a charge. Nothing. It was D-E-D, dead!

While I forgot to get a picture of my phone, here's what it looked like:

Screenshot_2018-02-12-21-22-16.thumb.png.1b27cb2164e55c3f1be8f5924243c365.png

So now what???

Dr. Google to the rescue! After a little research, I found this is fairly common with G3's. I came across multiple articles and videos describing how people applied heat to the motherboard as a fix action. Hair dryers, heat guns, and ovens, too. I thought no way that could work, but I'm not an electrical engineer. But the phone is essentially a brick, so what do I have to lose? Well, besides all the data I hadn't backed up in a little while.

Anyway, off to the kitchen!

Phone disassembled, motherboard laid gently on the cookie sheet. *No cooking spray applied.

25673.thumb.jpeg.c301cc6fdd10bcf5fbcaa2f442835af2.jpeg

Oven temp set at 350' (later reduced to 325', basically out of fear :o), and timer set for 10 VERRRRYYYYYY LOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGG minutes.

25674.thumb.jpeg.1c8505fe9184d2450f4004eaebeb280b.jpeg

A watched motherboard never broils...

25679.thumb.jpeg.325999970233bbc04a4d39611096524b.jpeg

Dinner's ready!!! It didn't really brown, that's just the lighting. I think. :unsure:

25676.jpeg.214d6e47e9a96d1e68094b8bc4e62861.jpeg

Soooooo, did it work? 

Phone reassembled...press power button........wait.........no blue screen.......wait..........Verizon startup screen!......wait.........

YES!!! :banana: I am back up and running, and - knock on wood - have been ever since. And there's even a little Adam's reflection on the home screen for your viewing pleasure.

25677.jpeg.6a93ac10af6815f250b2ec0a4c850b1d.jpeg

I must admit I really thought I was being punked. But I'm not surprised at all to know there are plenty of smarter people than me out there. When in doubt, phone a friend!

P.S. Hat tip to @Norton who doesn't believe I'll get a new phone anytime soon. He's probably right. :wacko:

1 hour ago, blcksilv08 said:

That's a pretty good one!  I wonder if it heated and expanded a contact that was broken or loose enough that you were able to regain power.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Maybe a bad solder somewhere that the heat remelded. I'll chalk it up to a mini-miracle for now.

Thinking about it (and im the boat of not an engineer) I wonder if this is similar to a problem a car I used to own had with the tachometer in the cluster. Same theory was to bake it and you were ok. I have a feeling what it is as we discussed it several times over is that a solder joint eventually gets weak and has a crack in it. Reheating it in theory is allowing some of the solder to reform in the area. I have also seen folks take soldering guns to it with a tiny drop of solder to repair them (Same for key fobs that break) so I can see it working. 

14 hours ago, Rich said:

I have a flip phone.  :(

This is my surprised face, Rich: :mellow:

:lolsmack:

3 hours ago, BlackCadi14 said:

I have a PS3 that has a Yellow light of Death, I have googled it and it says to heat the board up and let the solder reflow, I wonder if I could do the same with it.  I never thought about using an oven to reflow solder.  its dead too so i guess i could try.  

Very nice trick with the cell phone.

Doesn't sound like you have anything to lose, either. Good luck...and don't forget an apron. :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/18/2018 at 3:33 PM, falcaineer said:

Yes, you read the title correctly. Don't believe me? Read on...

About a week ago, my (admittedly outdated LG G3) phone died on me. Out of nowhere, the screen went blue and the phone shut down. It wouldn't turn on, wouldn't take a charge. Nothing. It was D-E-D, dead!

While I forgot to get a picture of my phone, here's what it looked like:

Screenshot_2018-02-12-21-22-16.thumb.png.1b27cb2164e55c3f1be8f5924243c365.png

So now what???

Dr. Google to the rescue! After a little research, I found this is fairly common with G3's. I came across multiple articles and videos describing how people applied heat to the motherboard as a fix action. Hair dryers, heat guns, and ovens, too. I thought no way that could work, but I'm not an electrical engineer. But the phone is essentially a brick, so what do I have to lose? Well, besides all the data I hadn't backed up in a little while.

Anyway, off to the kitchen!

Phone disassembled, motherboard laid gently on the cookie sheet. *No cooking spray applied.

25673.thumb.jpeg.c301cc6fdd10bcf5fbcaa2f442835af2.jpeg

Oven temp set at 350' (later reduced to 325', basically out of fear :o), and timer set for 10 VERRRRYYYYYY LOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGG minutes.

25674.thumb.jpeg.1c8505fe9184d2450f4004eaebeb280b.jpeg

A watched motherboard never broils...

25679.thumb.jpeg.325999970233bbc04a4d39611096524b.jpeg

Dinner's ready!!! It didn't really brown, that's just the lighting. I think. :unsure:

25676.jpeg.214d6e47e9a96d1e68094b8bc4e62861.jpeg

Soooooo, did it work? 

Phone reassembled...press power button........wait.........no blue screen.......wait..........Verizon startup screen!......wait.........

YES!!! :banana: I am back up and running, and - knock on wood - have been ever since. And there's even a little Adam's reflection on the home screen for your viewing pleasure.

25677.jpeg.6a93ac10af6815f250b2ec0a4c850b1d.jpeg

I must admit I really thought I was being punked. But I'm not surprised at all to know there are plenty of smarter people than me out there. When in doubt, phone a friend!

P.S. Hat tip to @Norton who doesn't believe I'll get a new phone anytime soon. He's probably right. :wacko:

I wonder what the first person was thinking when their phone was being weird like yours. My last thought would be to put it in the oven...?