Customer Service 866.965.0400

Liquid Paint Sealant + H2O on painted Wheels? Or is there better?

LSX Maestro

Question

For brand new painted wheels and other than a Ceramic Coating, would a base layer of LPS on the entire wheel followed by regular H2O GG coats after washes be the best way to keep them slick and easier to clean the brake dust off of? Or is there a better option short of Ceramic Coating them? 

I've also heard that the Ceramic Boost is really good for this task as well.  Worth buying to just use on the wheels? 

Also, will Wheel Cleaner strip it off when you go to clean them? If so, maybe it would be best to just clean them with the soap from the Car Shampoo until the LPS/H2O/CB would be wearing down anyway and then reset with Wheel Cleaner and start a fresh layer of LPS. 

Edited by LSX Maestro

12 answers to this question

PS and HGG is what I do currently. Last year I did the PS once.  Once you have the paint sealant on them, you will likely be able to clean them with car shampoo and water. Wheel cleaner every time will probably be overkill.

Since I usually do rinseless, I’ll wipe mine down with my leftover rinseless solution (with dedicated wheel towels and wheel bucket.) If It’s getting a 2 bucket I start out with the shampoo and water if it doesn’t quite do it, then I bring out the wheel cleaner.  (Or sometimes when I just want to watch my wheels turn purple...) Ultimately though, my goal is to ceramic coat them. 

As an aside, I really like the wheel brush and the woolie for the throrough cleaning, btw, makes things so much easier. 

8 minutes ago, 8675309'SS said:

PS and HGG is what I do currently. Last year I did the PS once.  Once you have the paint sealant on them, you will likely be able to clean them with car shampoo and water. Wheel cleaner every time will probably be overkill.

Since I usually do rinseless, I’ll wipe mine down with my leftover rinseless solution (with dedicated wheel towels and wheel bucket.) If It’s getting a 2 bucket I start out with the shampoo and water if it doesn’t quite do it, then I bring out the wheel cleaner.  (Or sometimes when I just want to watch my wheels turn purple...) Ultimately though, my goal is to ceramic coat them. 

As an aside, I really like the wheel brush and the woolie for the throrough cleaning, btw, makes things so much easier. 

Perfect. That’s what I’m doing then. Including the brush/Woolie/turbo stick. 

Paint sealant is a great way to go in order to seal up your wheels. You can maintain this with H2O GG. We typically use the GG on wheels unless someone wants to do a wheels off service. 

You’ll find varying opinions on this, but ceramic boost should be left for topping ceramic coated vehicles. That’s it’s ideal application. Adams offers plenty of great products for nearly any application. While the boost will work, it’s not setting it up for the most success. Not to mention the boost isn’t always simple to apply streak free, especially to non coated vehicles.

Also strip wash should only be used when you’re planning to reapply protection. It’s not a wash for frequent use. For routine washes uses the regular car shampoo. Right tools for the job. 

1 hour ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Paint sealant is a great way to go in order to seal up your wheels. You can maintain this with H2O GG. We typically use the GG on wheels unless someone wants to do a wheels off service. 

You’ll find varying opinions on this, but ceramic boost should be left for topping ceramic coated vehicles. That’s it’s ideal application. Adams offers plenty of great products for nearly any application. While the boost will work, it’s not setting it up for the most success. Not to mention the boost isn’t always simple to apply streak free, especially to non coated vehicles.

Also strip wash should only be used when you’re planning to reapply protection. It’s not a wash for frequent use. For routine washes uses the regular car shampoo. Right tools for the job. 

Sounds good.  I'll go with LPS/H2O and then wash them with just the Car Shampoo.  Roger on the Strip wash, I'll only use that when I first get the car.  And to strip off my other cars of old wax before doing them properly too.   

11 minutes ago, VetteDream said:

I am interested in your results and how it works out. I have gloss black painted wheels, and they are really difficult to keep clean.  I have to do the whole process using WC nearly every time I wash the car.

Some cars/brakes are certainly worse than others. What do you drive? Perhaps someone else reading this has the same car/wheels or has worked in them before and can offer addition insight.

Getting something on the wheels such as PS/HGG, and especially Wheel Coating, will help with cleanings. Do you have anything on them now?

4 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Some cars/brakes are certainly worse than others. What do you drive? Perhaps someone else reading this has the same car/wheels or has worked in them before and can offer addition insight.

Getting something on the wheels such as PS/HGG, and especially Wheel Coating, will help with cleanings. Do you have anything on them now?

I do not have anything on them surreally.  I drive a Corvette, so brake dust is a problem.  I have installed a lower dust set of brake pads, but any high performance brakes are going to give off dust, regardless of the pad compound.  I know LSXMaestro has a new Corvette as well, and the new ZL1, so he may have some insight.  I hate to use WC every single time I wash, as it is a pretty harsh chemical in general.  I am hoping the LPS and H2O GG combo will reduce how often I use WC.  

1 minute ago, VetteDream said:

I do not have anything on them surreally.  I drive a Corvette, so brake dust is a problem.  I have installed a lower dust set of brake pads, but any high performance brakes are going to give off dust, regardless of the pad compound.  I know LSXMaestro has a new Corvette as well, and the new ZL1, so he may have some insight.  I hate to use WC every single time I wash, as it is a pretty harsh chemical in general.  I am hoping the LPS and H2O GG combo will reduce how often I use WC.  

Oops...missed your profile pic...and forum name...and probably several other clues...my bad! :willy:

Lots of Vette owners on here, so I'm sure you'll get some helpful responses. 

1 hour ago, VetteDream said:

In fact I can and do.  GM has some of the best brakes in the business, they're good on every model and especially on their performance cars.  BUT they make a lot of dust.  My 5th Gen ZL1 is terrible with brake dust, and I haven't driven my '18 ZL1 (Still being built) or my C7 Z yet (Still waiting for summer) but I'm assuming they'll be the same way.  Putting any kind of a repellent sacrificial layer such as Wax, Sealant, or Ceramic on your wheels will greatly aid in cleaning them.  The dust will still accumulate...drive it to the car show and expect people to think you never clean your wheels, lol!  

What's worked for me in the past and what will work even better with the Adam's stuff is...

Give them a thorough chemical cleaning (Wheel Cleaner) and use all the brushes, get every nook and cranny and if you can do it easily, take them off and really get them good.  Typically at the beginning of the year.  Then, while they're clean, coat them with something.  I'm going to go LPS + H2O when summer comes, but before I just used a basic spay sealant which worked.  Once they're coated in something (Be it Wax, Sealant or Silica/Ceramic), the surface will be slicker and will repel the stuff.  So when you go to wash them, you don't have to use the harsh chemicals like Wheel Cleaner.  All it usually needs is the Car Shampoo and a brush and they'll be nice and clean.  Every month or two you may need to reset and clean them with wheel cleaner and then re-apply H2O GG.  Also, when you pull up to the car show and your wheels need a little touchup, a towel and Waterless Wash/Rinseless Wash dilution will clean them up really nice.  Drying them with Detail Spray after washes in between H2O coatings will help as well.  

When all else fails, Brake Pad swaps are VERY popular with these cars.  PowerStop and Hawk come to mind, they're a lot lighter on the dust, to the point of hardly noticeable until several drives, but they do sacrifice some braking performance and you'd want to change them out if you're doing any track days.  

Will update on how LPS + H2O works on the wheels...

Edited by LSX Maestro

On 2/27/2018 at 8:47 PM, LSX Maestro said:

In fact I can and do.  GM has some of the best brakes in the business, they're good on every model and especially on their performance cars.  BUT they make a lot of dust.  My 5th Gen ZL1 is terrible with brake dust, and I haven't driven my '18 ZL1 (Still being built) or my C7 Z yet (Still waiting for summer) but I'm assuming they'll be the same way.  Putting any kind of a repellent sacrificial layer such as Wax, Sealant, or Ceramic on your wheels will greatly aid in cleaning them.  The dust will still accumulate...drive it to the car show and expect people to think you never clean your wheels, lol!  

What's worked for me in the past and what will work even better with the Adam's stuff is...

Give them a thorough chemical cleaning (Wheel Cleaner) and use all the brushes, get every nook and cranny and if you can do it easily, take them off and really get them good.  Typically at the beginning of the year.  Then, while they're clean, coat them with something.  I'm going to go LPS + H2O when summer comes, but before I just used a basic spay sealant which worked.  Once they're coated in something (Be it Wax, Sealant or Silica/Ceramic), the surface will be slicker and will repel the stuff.  So when you go to wash them, you don't have to use the harsh chemicals like Wheel Cleaner.  All it usually needs is the Car Shampoo and a brush and they'll be nice and clean.  Every month or two you may need to reset and clean them with wheel cleaner and then re-apply H2O GG.  Also, when you pull up to the car show and your wheels need a little touchup, a towel and Waterless Wash/Rinseless Wash dilution will clean them up really nice.  Drying them with Detail Spray after washes in between H2O coatings will help as well.  

When all else fails, Brake Pad swaps are VERY popular with these cars.  PowerStop and Hawk come to mind, they're a lot lighter on the dust, to the point of hardly noticeable until several drives, but they do sacrifice some braking performance and you'd want to change them out if you're doing any track days.  

Will update on how LPS + H2O works on the wheels...

Thanks!  I will try the LPS and H2O this weekend.  I am in the Charlotte area, so I never really put the car up for the winter.    

On 2/22/2018 at 8:36 PM, LSX Maestro said:

Perfect. That’s what I’m doing then. Including the brush/Woolie/turbo stick. 

I know you’ve made up your mind, but figured this was a good thread for this example.

This is a daily driver.  I used PS on these wheels in Oct/Nov and have performed 3 or 4 washes since. I’ve used only Throwback shampoo in a bucket to wash the wheels.  The barrels were cleaned with a wheel woolie once (in Feb) and faces got HGG then too. While I’m not dealing with performance brakes or pads with these, the PS significantly reduces the amount of crap that sticks to the wheels. 

Pic is today after a spray with water, and cleaning with the wheel brush and Throwback shampoo. They obviously need additional detailing, but that won’t happen until most of the road patch is done being put down—sometime in late April.

89744359-15C1-4FA1-8177-21D3636E7211.jpeg