Customer Service 866.965.0400

Thoughts after a year in business

shane@detailedreflections

Question

As we’ve been talking about hosting our first clinic, it got me thinking about all aspects of detailing and business ownership. I frequently see people here who are thinking of opening their own business and it inspired me to share some thoughts and lessons from our first official year in business. 

First though, a little back history. I believe to understand where you’re going, you need to understand where you’ve been. So to understand Detailed Reflections and our story, the history becomes important. 

I have a successful career as a firefighter/paramedic. Detailing for me has never been the way to “pay the bills.” What my career provided for me though was a means to explore something that I’d always wanted to do with minimal risk...owning a business. 

Like many, I started detailing my own cars. Once friends found out that I did that, and could do it well they started asking for “help” detailing their cars. In other words, they asked me to detail their cars. As I went along, I learned all the time. Suddenly I found myself finally feeling confident I could do this and charge money for it. Not to mention, I got tired of giving away time frequently. Like many, I have a family and activities I enjoy.

Next thing I knew, I was collecting cash for detailing cars here and there. I realized how much time and money I kept reinvesting. New product, tools, etc. At that point the idea was hatched that I would go out on a limb and open my own business.

I’ve use the “I” a lot so far, and there’s a reason for that. When I talked to my wife about opening a business, she suggested I partner with the husband of someone she works with. He was working as a detailer at a small shop that did production detailing. Think more car wash than true detailing.

I was a little apprehensive about bringing someone else into the mix. Little did I know it would be one of the best things I could do and the strength of a friendship born through a common interest and business venture. After some conversation over dinner, “I” became “we.” He didn’t have the financial means to invest in everything needed to take on business ownership, but he brought an incredible work ethic with him and has grown tremendously in our time working together. I still hold ownership (for now) but he’s every bit of a partner a business owner could ask for. 

This was lesson one. Don’t be afraid to take a chance. It might not work, but it just might lead to the best decision you’ve ever made. To watch Marquis grow in his craft has made it worthwhile. His knowledge of the business side is growing and his worth ethic is among the best I’ve seen.

Now that we had a legal LLC, it became a game of constantly navigating new tasks. Paying sales tax, tracking EVERY expense, scheduling, acquiring clients, ordering product, shopping for price. The list goes on. 

Which brings us to lesson two. Track EVERYTHING. Literally, save every receipt. Track mileage. Be diligent in recording expenses. You want to know where every dollar is going. You’re not spending, you’re investing. Most of the money we take in goes back to the business. Advertising, product, etc. You also want to know if you’re profitable. 

Lesson three...it takes time to be profitable. You’re going to make ordering mistakes. You’re going to need to grow your equipment to set yourself apart. You’ll need to try different products to see what you like and what you don’t like. You need to set yourself apart from the competition. 

Lesson four...don’t sell on price. You can easily get sucked into a low cost bidding war. Some people will walk because they can “get it cheaper elsewhere.” Let them go. The price customer isn’t likely to become a client, and they usually expect the most for the least. If you don’t value your time, product and knowledge who else will?  That being said, don’t gouge people because you can. It’s poor practice and will bite you. 

Lesson five...clients and customers are different people. A customer is a one time transaction. A client is multiple times. They come back. They talk to people. They engage with you. These are who you want to be your clients. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship. Customers are still good revenue, but don’t provide the continued returns that a client does. 

Lesson six...know your costs. This is a cost of operating. And it’s how you establish an hourly rate to estimate pricing. How much is your time worth?  How much do you pay your employees/partners?  How much is your product?  How much does your business need to make to grow?  How much are your expenses (rent/insurance/phone/etc)?  Once that’s done, work it backwards. You should have an hourly rate you try to achieve on every job. 

Lesson seven...sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. In the end, make the client happy. There’s jobs we’ve misquoted and done for little to nothing at the end of the day. There’s jobs we’ve made more than we thought. Keep the client happy. It’s how they return.  Don’t sweat the small things. A job that doesn’t make money is simply a mistake. Learn from it. 

Lesson eight...be honest with customers and clients. Under promise and over deliver. It’s better to wow a client with more than they expected than to disappoint them by promising something you couldn’t deliver. An unhappy client will tell everyone. 

Lesson nine...don’t give clients what they didn’t pay for. Does this mean never throw someone a bone?  Not at all. If someone pays for a one step polish, that’s what you need to give them. You can’t do a two step for the price of one. You’re not doing your business any favors. That being said, if a small spot needs more attention, just do it. The customer will thank you and it’s a few minutes. 

Lesson ten...buy smart. Research products. Reach out to vendors to see what they can offer you. Reducing costs is a good way to improve profit margin without increasing costs to clients and customers. You owe it to yourself, your business and your clients. It’s how you offer a fair product at a fair price.

Lesson eleven...you’ll make mistakes. Own them. Fix them. Learn from them. Move past them. That’s all there is about that.

Lesson twelve...growth takes time. Experiment. It’s not easy to acquire clients as the new guy around. Word of mouth is the best advertising. Incentivize people to send business your way. Try new things. Network. You never know what great connections you’ll make. Talking to people is the best way. 

And thirteen...have fun. If you’re not enjoying it, it’s not for you. The friendships you’ll make are invaluable and don’t have a price on them. 

And on trying new things, we are working on a clinic!  All of the topics here will be in play. Well, except price. The clinic is free. But the networking, sharing knowledge, etc. All will be on display. 

If you’re thinking about owning a business...do it. There’s enough work to go around and it’s rewarding. Even if you weren’t successful, you will have done something few people dare to do!

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts from a first year business owner. Hopefully you guys will be putting up with me for a while!

17 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, rkj4243 said:

Great post Shane!

Perseverance does pay off in the long haul, and "Lessons Learned" is a great way to ensure future success!

Good luck in your future detailing endeavors to keep the customers satisfied, and the profits of all the hard work and diligence coming your way!

Thank you!  Hoping to make year two better than year one was. There’s always room to grow. 

I was offered a job in detailing yesterday. My own building and whatever type of equipment I would need. I love detailing.  It it’s more of an escape for me, and therapeutic. Every day would take the fun out of it for me. I like doing it on the side, but that’s it.

Congrats on a year in business Shane! You make great points and as a fellow business owner for over thirty years I will tell you that you are off to a great start. No matter what type of business you are in you can offer your clients three different variables- low price, high quality, and a high level of service. You can offer two of those variables at one time but not all three. My advice would be to focus on building long-term relationships with your clients and offer them high quality and service. Charge a fee that is fair to the client but fair to you as well. When people discover how good you are and trust is established they think of you as a friend and friends take care of each other!

Congratulations on your endeavors, I really feel you nailed this concept and have been trying to impart this on my managers where I work:

" clients and customers are different people. A customer is a one time transaction. A client is multiple times. They come back. They talk to people. They engage with you. These are who you want to be your clients. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship. Customers are still good revenue, but don’t provide the continued returns that a client does. "

I work for a fortune 100 company and they keep calling our clients, customers.  Do people that spend multiples of millions of dollars on your products and services customers???? 

Edited by moons21

I agree with almost everything Shane posted as I have just completed my first year and a half also.

The amount of work to go around is limited to the region and environment one lives in. 

For me I battle the elements and seasons more then anything. Clients and customers don’t want to pay (say $50) for a wash and wax that may only last two blocksand you can’t tell it was ever clean. When they can pay $20 for a laser wash. Since it gets dirty so fast they won’t do a wash very often. Then most don’t see, know, or care about the value of getting it done right. 

If I do 3 basic wash, wax details a month I’m doing good. For my region one could not survive on details alone. There have been many detail shops that quickly closed here.

That’s why I did it as an upsale offer on my windshield repairs or replacement. 

Edited by FrozenWS6

On 3/3/2018 at 12:49 PM, FrozenWS6 said:

I agree with almost everything Shane posted as I have just completed my first year and a half also.

The amount of work to go around is limited to the region and environment one lives in. 

For me I battle the elements and seasons more then anything. Clients and customers don’t want to pay (say $50) for a wash and wax that may only last two blocksand you can’t tell it was ever clean. When they can pay $20 for a laser wash. Since it gets dirty so fast they won’t do a wash very often. Then most don’t see, know, or care about the value of getting it done right. 

If I do 3 basic wash, wax details a month I’m doing good. For my region one could not survive on details alone. There have been many detail shops that quickly closed here.

That’s why I did it as an upsale offer on my windshield repairs or replacement. 

Excellent point Jeff!

At Mobile Tech Expo there are lots of companies that can help you expand your offerings if the detailing part does not bring in the income - windshield repair (as you mentioned), headlight restoration, graphics, etc.

^^ thanks.

The other reason I added detailing was because after 15 years doing auto glass. The majority or the customers here, getting new windshields usually run straight out to get their car washed after. Gives them a new refreshed feeling on their vehicle. So if I can do it while I have it then it’s also a convenience sale for them too. I’ve just saved them time being one less thing they will need to do. People love to have one stop shopping.

Edited by FrozenWS6

On 2/27/2018 at 9:10 PM, shane@detailedreflections said:

Thank you!  Hoping to make year two better than year one was. There’s always room to grow. 

4 minutes ago, FrozenWS6 said:

^^ thanks.

The other reason I added detailing was because after 15 years doing auto glass. The majority or the customers here, getting new windshields usually run straight out to get their car washed after. Gives them a new refreshed feeling on their vehicle. So if I can do it while I have it then it’s also a convenience sale for them too. I’ve just saved them time being one less thing they will need to do. People love to have one stop shopping.

Quick question for both of you - Are you members of the IDA - International Detailing Association?  I am not yet, but Scott (Sizzle Chest) is.  There are lots of respected detailers and suppliers getting on board with it. 

I plan to become a 'legitimate' business soon (real business name, legal filings, website, etc.) and will join under that name and add their logo to business cards and the website.   

30 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

Quick question for both of you - Are you members of the IDA - International Detailing Association?  I am not yet, but Scott (Sizzle Chest) is.  There are lots of respected detailers and suppliers getting on board with it. 

I plan to become a 'legitimate' business soon (real business name, legal filings, website, etc.) and will join under that name and add their logo to business cards and the website.   

I am not yet. I’ve toyed with the idea of doing it. It’s not that expensive. I think about $350-400 if my memory is right. It’s pretty much tests more than a guided course to certification. Then after that you can do a skills verification for more money. I’ve been on the fence about it for a few reasons. Maybe someone will chime in...

- Should I do it for just myself?  Do I pay for the guy I do work with?  If so, that doubles my cost. I almost feel we should both do it. But I suppose as long as one of us has it, we can claim it?

- Is there really a return on it?  Only one vendor has asked me about it. Nobody else has. And certainly no client has ever brought it up. Does that mean it wouldn’t be a good talking point to premium pricing?  Or why you’re more expensive?  

- It’s a renewable cost, and while I’ve seen more detailers buying in, I’m not clear on exactly what they offer that couldn’t be answered by looking through a portfolio?

I am curious on this discussion...I may actually post it to it’s own thread with a copy of this post.  Actually, I am going to do that now. 

Being in Alaska, I am not.

i think I’ve vaguely heard about it. But to me it would be an extra expense. Since my customers won’t pay any extra and since the majority haven’t heard about it. It wouldn’t make a difference for me business wise. But I’m always willing to learn new things.

9 hours ago, DanielStone said:

great post bro

9 hours ago, Kian2019 said:

Dude, this is the best post about business. I am very grateful to you because I learned a lot from here and now it will be much easier for me to open my own company.

Thanks guys. Brought back an old post!  So much I could add after another year or two of growth too!

I’m constantly learning so much. 

On 2/24/2020 at 6:53 AM, shane@detailedreflections said:

Thanks guys. Brought back an old post!  So much I could add after another year or two of growth too!

I’m constantly learning so much. 

Then let's hear it!

Congrats on your success, Shane. Thanks so much for your valued membership.