Customer Service 866.965.0400

Gas or Electric Pressure Washer?

vollychief

I have read past questions and I don't think they answer my question.  I apologize if it has been answered and I didn’t see it.   

My volunteer fire department is in the market for a pressure washer, but I don't know if we should go gas or electric.  What we want to use it for is on the line between gas and electric.  It will be used for washing the fire engines, washing the outside of the firehouse, a surface cleaner for the concrete floors and I'm sure we will find other stuff.  I'm not as worried about gpm as I am psi.   

I like the idea of electric, then I don't have to worry about any fumes inside the firehouse.  But will it have enough pressure, especially for the floor surface cleaner?  Our price ranges is up to $350 - $400 for the pressure washer itself.   

We have had problems in the past of things walking off and we have debated of securing the pressure washer to the wall somehow.  Otherwise I would probably go with gas and just move the unit outside when we use it. 

Also, are there any brands to stay away from?  We don’t want to make the investment and the pressure washer not last.

Thank you for your help! 

With advancing technology nowadays, I always choose the electric option of any tool. I bought a 2000 psi electric Greenworks from Lowe’s because it was close and easy, and spent a couple hours yesterday blasting the mildew off my concrete driveway, no issues. The only downside to electric is you have the power cord, just another thing you have to maneuver around. Electric can easily deliver enough pressure to wash vehicles, and then some. It’s also much quieter than gas. I usually put headphones in and I can’t even hear the machine. Also, you could secure it to the wall assuming your wand is long enough. I love my gas hog vehicles, and I worked on an oil tanker for the longest time, but I find gas powered tools to be outdated. 

I agree with what Mariner said, I own both but 9/10 times I get the electric one out. It does all my car cleaning needs and will clean most household surfaces(concrete, brick, wood, etc).

I also have a small Greenworks unit from Lowe's that has worked great for the last 3 years and was less than $200.  My gas one was used once last year to do the entire driveway but I ended having to drain gas out of it at the end of the season which is a pain. The electric one requires almost no maintenance.  

As far as budget goes you could get something like the Greenworks units for under $200 or some of the lower end Karchers fall in that price category.  If it were me, I'd get two Greenworks and the job done faster ?

Edited by blcksilv08

I'd say you need to figure out how to either secure it to a wall, or lock it in a trunk and only one  or two persons with the key. Shame they disappear.  

12 hours ago, Rich said:

I'd say you need to figure out how to either secure it to a wall, or lock it in a trunk and only one  or two persons with the key. Shame they disappear.  

About the only thing that comes to mind is an eye lag screw sunk into a stud and a chain and padlock.  I'm open to suggestions there too. 

In the past, we had an ice maker at the firehouse and anybody was welcome to come get ice out of it.  First it was for little league, then it moved to others.  I think everyone in town knew what the entry code was.  After too many things disappeared, I changed the entry codes, who was given the codes and we got rid of the ice maker (it kind of helped itself by not working anymore).  Since then I have lost 2 fog machines that I am aware of.  I still don't want to take any chances though.  A pressure washer would be something easy to take.  Or borrow and forget to bring back. 

Thank you all for the help and advice! 

I'd say you need security cameras and need to catch the thieves.  Or put an alarm on whatever is used to secure the equipment.  Sad to think people would steal from a fire company.  That's pretty low. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I'd say you need security cameras and need to catch the thieves.  Or put an alarm on whatever is used to secure the equipment.  Sad to think people would steal from a fire company.  That's pretty low. 

That's on my list, but at the bottom.  I need to move it up. 

I think some of it was in-house, but I can't prove it. 

I have one of the greenworks as well, really like it because it is lightweight and easy to use.  Trying to start our gas pressure washer can be soooo challenging.  That being, if need to use a pressure washer in an area where there is no power, than like he gas one. So it just depends on your situation.  But the idea of spending $200 and getting two, is a great idea too.  That way you have two people able do go at the same time and make fast work of the project.  Also, you could use some of the funds to get a snubnose handle and a foam cannon to help with cleaning the fire truck.

Thank you all again for the help!

We went with an electric pressure washer.  I picked up a foam cannon and snub nose handle off of Amazon.  I spent a lot of time debating and researching for a foam cannon, especially since it will be used on an electric pressure washer.  As soon as I buy an quality one, it will break, so I went with something different. 

I do like the idea of getting a second pressure washer to help speed up the process.  If it goes well with one, I may do that. 

As a side and semi-related note, we were doing air pack training one night.   It's hard to simulate the kind of conditions and work done at a structure fire in training.  So I had the members wash the trucks in their air packs.  They enjoyed it. 

Edited by vollychief

• 1 month later...

I have gas and its a pain in the butt to get ready and setup. Loud. Messy. Leaky. But even with electric you deal with the power cord so just depends on what you don't want to mess with. I've toyed with getting rid of mine to go to electric.