Customer Service 866.965.0400

Engine detailing

Quickstep

Question

I use pre-mixed Rinseless Wash (at wash strength) in a pump up sprayer, with lots of work MF towels and a few brushes.  I use VRT 'milk' (VRT mixed with distilled water at 50/50) as a spray dressing on the plastics, and wipe level with a MF.  You can also use In & Out Spray to dress the engine. 

If the engine is dirty (yours is NOT!), you need APC or Tire & Rubber Cleaner.

One area you'll want to avoid getting soaking wet is the sound / heat blanket on the underside of the hood.  If you do, you run the risk of it sagging and possibly pulling through those plastic plugs and coming loose, not to mention there is no quick way to dry it.

I use the Eco APC, just as in the video.  Rinse down, spray with APC, and I use the lug brush in the tight spots.  I did not have enough grime to need the wheel brush.  Then I rinsed off, and closed the hood while I did the rest of the car.  Once it was dry, as others have mentioned, I use VRT and In & Out Spray.  On the Vette, you will love how VRT works on the air intake under the hood vent, and how well it works on all of the trim between the windshield and firewall.  In & Out spray works great on the throttle body, and around the fuse box.  

Hey thanks so much. As you can imagine, the thought of spraying water on my vette’s engine is terrifying. Since it’s new it doesn’t really need much yet. I’ll try it out first on my truck and once I gain some experience I’ll eventually do the stingray too. 

My former Mustang.  I kept up with it enough that all I had to do was wipe everything down with Waterless Wash then apply some VRT/In & Out spray.  Eventually I gave up on the dressing step.

eoyVSha.jpg

My wife's Traverse is much more neglected.  This was cleaned up with Eco APC and junk towels/brushes, then wiped down with Interior Detailer for a little extra shine.

AOooBqQ.jpg

I'm not looking forward to doing my F-150 after this winter :(

All the advice here on engine cleaning is great and works well on newer vehicle however, in the case of an older vehicle like my 59 Morris the engine bay has a lot of electrical connections.  I have had some people tell me that the waters ok since it is no worse than what happens if you drive in the rain or on a wet road but,  I wanted to get advice on the best way to clean the engine bay.  I am planning to do some repainting of the stuff you see in the picture that needs it but, I still would like to keep it clean.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated

engine.JPG

27 minutes ago, kaj41354 said:

All the advice here on engine cleaning is great and works well on newer vehicle however, in the case of an older vehicle like my 59 Morris the engine bay has a lot of electrical connections.  I have had some people tell me that the waters ok since it is no worse than what happens if you drive in the rain or on a wet road but,  I wanted to get advice on the best way to clean the engine bay.  I am planning to do some repainting of the stuff you see in the picture that needs it but, I still would like to keep it clean.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated

engine.JPG

I don't know for sure, Kurt, but I can guess directly spraying water on non-water tight connections isn't the best idea. I'll defer to others on here. But I will mention that WW (or RW diluted 16:1) and some old towels could be a good alternative.

The thing you want to watch is spraying water directly on any unprotected electrical connections.  It will take some time, but you can mask off those connections with plastic bags and waterproof electrical tape, and that will give you added protection you need to clean the engine bay with APC and water.  As falcaineer mentioned above, you can then clean up any of these covered areas with a rag and WW or RW.  

Edited by ZMAN024

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, zw470 said:

My wife's Traverse is much more neglected.  This was cleaned up with Eco APC and junk towels/brushes, then wiped down with Interior Detailer for a little extra shine.

AOooBqQ.jpg

Is there a motor in there?

3 hours ago, ZMAN024 said:

The thing you want to watch is spraying water directly on any unprotected electrical connections.  It will take some time, but you can mask off those connections with plastic bags and waterproof electrical tape, and that will give you added protection you need to clean the engine bay with APC and water.  As falcaineer mentioned above, you can then clean up any of these covered areas with a rag and WW or RW.  

Thank you for the advice

11 hours ago, kaj41354 said:

engine.JPG

I have a portable steam cleaner that I can use to get in and treat specific areas without spraying down an entire engine.  It is just a store bought one that attaches to my steam mop for the house.

9 hours ago, Liralen said:

I have a portable steam cleaner that I can use to get in and treat specific areas without spraying down an entire engine.  It is just a store bought one that attaches to my steam mop for the house.

I have a small portable steam cleaner.  I will have to give that a try.  Thanks for that!