Customer Service 866.965.0400

Matte Black Wheels Cleaning.

ssbusdrvr

Question

Been in hibernation for 3 years. First time back today. Was buying off local distributor and just made first online purchase in ages this past weekend. First time with Matte Black Wheels. Just put Forgestar New Drag Version F14 Wheels on Car. Want to keep the Flat Satin look,no bright shine,hazing or streaking. How to best accomplish with what products? Just bought a wash kit with some Shampoo and H20 gloss to try for the first time but figure that would probably leave too much of a sheen? (Did do some searching first) Thanks.

18 answers to this question

7 hours ago, ssbusdrvr said:

Been in hibernation for 3 years. First time back today. Was buying off local distributor and just made first online purchase in ages this past weekend. First time with Matte Black Wheels. Just put Forgestar New Drag Version F14 Wheels on Car. Want to keep the Flat Satin look,no bright shine,hazing or streaking. How to best accomplish with what products? Just bought a wash kit with some Shampoo and H20 gloss to try for the first time but figure that would probably leave too much of a sheen? (Did do some searching first) Thanks.

Mikey from the west side, welcome back!  I would expect Paint Sealant would provide protection without adding much gloss.  You may want to look into a wheel coating for longer term protection.

Hit me up if you run short on anything and need a quick replacement.

The product listing for Wheel Coating warns that "This coating may add undesirable amounts of gloss to matte and satin finish wheels" plus I don't see how you could ever polish it off to reapply in the future.  I'm actually not a fan of the Matte Detailer on my wheels, it leaves them looking dried out like trim that needs a coat of VRT.  Liquid Paint Sealant would probably add about as much sheen as the H2O G&G, if you feel like waiting for the results I'll be applying LPS to my wheels this spring :lolsmack:

Thanks guys. Thank you. Will do mc2hill :)

Mikey from the west side, welcome back!  I would expect Paint Sealant would provide protection without adding much gloss.  You may want to look into a wheel coating for longer term protection.

Hit me up if you run short on anything and need a quick replacement.

You can coat a matte wheel, but it will bring out a slight sheen to the wheel. We have coated a few matte wheels. There are companies that make matte specific coatings as well. If you’re really anti sheen on your matte wheels, they may be worth exploring.

Top wheel done with Adams and the bottom with another coating. The difference in gloss is more the wheel itself. The top was very matte versus more satin of the bottom. 

9814DC98-D0D0-43C4-916B-E2F8322AF12E.thumb.jpeg.1c23283a7767fae64723f0f9fa73f89c.jpeg

5EA54244-608C-4A8E-88DF-C11D68FF2F38.thumb.jpeg.aa0686738e2c96a47aad3f2dec462bc2.jpeg

29 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You can coat a matte wheel, but it will bring out a slight sheen to the wheel. We have coated a few matte wheels. There are companies that make matte specific coatings as well. If you’re really anti sheen on your matte wheels, they may be worth exploring.

Top wheel done with Adams and the bottom with another coating. The difference in gloss is more the wheel itself. The top was very matte versus more satin of the bottom. 

9814DC98-D0D0-43C4-916B-E2F8322AF12E.thumb.jpeg.1c23283a7767fae64723f0f9fa73f89c.jpeg

Wow, that actually looks like it has less sheen than my wheels with G&G on them, I wish I'd have seen this while the 18th sale was still going on... Do you still use Ceranic Boost after the coating is applied?

8 minutes ago, zw470 said:

Wow, that actually looks like it has less sheen than my wheels with G&G on them, I wish I'd have seen this while the 18th sale was still going on... Do you still use Ceranic Boost after the coating is applied?

No. There’s no need. You can use Ceramic Boost since it’s designed to compliment a coating. You won’t hurt anything with G&G, but it’s an acrylic product versus silica and silica plays better with coatings to retain the effects that the coating offers. 

40 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

No. There’s no need. You can use Ceramic Boost since it’s designed to compliment a coating. You won’t hurt anything with G&G, but it’s an acrylic product versus silica and silica plays better with coatings to retain the effects that the coating offers. 

No, do you also apply the Ceramic Boost when you use the Ceramic Wheel Coating on matte black wheels. 

49 minutes ago, zw470 said:

No, do you also apply the Ceramic Boost when you use the Ceramic Wheel Coating on matte black wheels. 

If you are trying to maintain the satin look, don't apply the Ceramic Boost as it will add additional shine.

I love what G&G does to my satin black wheels (stock, GT350 10 spoke).  Makes for a nice touch. But I’m sure this is subjective and more personal appearance than anything. I coated a set of anthracite colored wheels on my other car and the coating/boost made very little noticeable difference in shine/sheen/appearance.

i think the big picture on a topic like this would be this point...if you want really satin, flat, no gloss black wheels, then don’t use a coating, Boost, or G&G. 

FWIW, I’ve found G&G does more for immediate, visible, difference in shine than Boost does.  (Sorry Oz...we must have typing at the same time, LOL)

Edited by galaxy

Thanks again guys. galaxy any pics of your gt350 wheels with just the G&G on them or are they coated too? Thx So for now just going to wash with the Car Wash Shampoo when it gets here. Maybe try some of the G&G on them since have some on the way now to use on Car or pick up a bottle of Matte Detailer. Who knows might just like the way it looks. lol  Would sure seem easier to strip off than using a Coating if don't like it. Main concern is damage,streaking or hazing of the the finish on them. hagd :)

Edited by ssbusdrvr

Another option, but not sure how much gloss it adds - clean them with Wash & Wax.  I keep some pre-mixed in a spray bottle (just topped it up this weekend when I washed my truck) with a foaming sprayer (Tolco).  If you don't let them get too dirty this can give them a little bit of protection.

post-1109-0-92957800-1478990047_thumb.jpg

23 hours ago, ssbusdrvr said:

Thanks again guys. galaxy any pics of your gt350 wheels with just the G&G on them or are they coated too? 

I’ll go take a few, but don’t know what they’ll be worth. I don’t have before/after pics. To my eye, the difference wasn’t subtle, but opinions and eyesight vary.  I am coating them once it warms up here, but not expecting much in the appearance department, but we’ll see. That just based off the fact that coating my anthracite wheels made no difference in appearance. But I’m optimistic. 

1 hour ago, galaxy said:

I’ll go take a few, but don’t know what they’ll be worth. I don’t have before/after pics. To my eye, the difference wasn’t subtle, but opinions and eyesight vary.  I am coating them once it warms up here, but not expecting much in the appearance department, but we’ll see. That just based off the fact that coating my anthracite wheels made no difference in appearance. But I’m optimistic. 

I'll agree with this.  And in fact, the satin SOTA wheels had Ceramic Boost on them for reference.  I wouldn't say that the coating made them have more shine, but it made them appear cleaner.  Purely subjective thoughts on the matter.