Customer Service 866.965.0400

Correcting Polish Help!

MRF0730

Question

Hi, every time I use the Orange correcting polish (micro fiber pad or orange pad) I have the worst time getting it off the car! Like to the point where I’m using half a bottle of detail spray to get it wiped off. 

What am I doing wrong? 

I don’t use a lot of product. I am stingy with it. Also I am in a garage, car is cool. I am doing one panel at a time. 

9 answers to this question

Is it a new pad?

Sounds like there may be too much product or not working it long enough to break it down. Since it sounds like it’s not too high of an air temperature.

I have a 2x2 or a 3x3 area and I’ll make at least 4 passes (depending on the severity of scratches or wash marks) over that area in a left to right then up and down pattern. Then if there is any product left in that area it can be wiped off easily. Then move on to the next quadrant.

Edited by FrozenWS6

24 minutes ago, FrozenWS6 said:

Is it a new pad?

Sounds like there may be too much product or not working it long enough to break it down. Since it sounds like it’s not too high of an air temperature.

I have a 2x2 or a 3x3 area and I’ll make at least 4 passes (depending on the severity of scratches or wash marks) over that area in a left to right then up and down pattern. Then if there is any product left in that area it can be wiped off easily. Then move on to the next quadrant.

I don’t use very much product at all. Sometimes not even adding more just a squirt of detail spray. For a section say the size of trunk lid (2x4ft) I made several passes probable 3 each way and still a PITA to remove. The pad has been used for two whole vehicles. When I do reload the pad I put two dime size blobs on it. 

That doesn’t sound like it’s too much product or too big of an area then.

I don’t think it would be because it’s old because I’ve used it at over a year old with no problems.

When your working the product did you mist some detail spray on the pad?

I do 4 dots on the pad, work it in for 2 min or so and then it is easy to remove. Be sure you are working the polish long enough to break it down. The orange correcting polish has diminishing abrasives in it, the longer you polish the more shine it adds. I also like to use the look of the polish to gauge how much product I need. It’s hard to explain, but I like to have enough so that the area I’m working looks almost like it has just been waxed (wax still on the paint). The product should spread evenly on the area your working and not have any “dry spots” if this happens I add a bit of polish, and I usually do not use much detail spray as it seams to clog the pad after time. Hope this helps

Some good suggestions above. I'll also add to try 50/50 isopropyl alcohol with waterless wash towels to remove the residue. And it leaves a naked surface for the sealant...unlike the DS that will not...assuming that's what you're using.

I know you said you’re in a garage where it’s cool. Depending on where you are, cool could be on the colder side. We find that when the panels are cold (due to temps) it can make residues stubborn to remove. Something to consider. 

Coating prep works really well for removing residue, as does detail spray. 

4 hours ago, Wy_detailing said:

I usually do not use much detail spray as it seams to clog the pad after time. Hope this helps

I’ve had the same issue with the pad clogging with using detail spray. 

Now ive also used both the old and newer mix of orange correction polish in as low as 45 degrees on a big trailer that spent the night out side with no issues of it being hard to get off.

Edited by FrozenWS6

35 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

I know you said you’re in a garage where it’s cool. Depending on where you are, cool could be on the colder side. We find that when the panels are cold (due to temps) it can make residues stubborn to remove. Something to consider. 

Coating prep works really well for removing residue, as does detail spray. 

Delt with the same thing last weekend. Cold paint made for a difficult wipe off.