Customer Service 866.965.0400

my gloss black wheels are NASTY!

Bryman312

Question

so yeah.......my beautiful gloss black wheels are really nasty.  ive got my wheel and tire cleaner and brushes ready to go, but i was wondering, id want to get the Adams blaster anyway but until i do what do you recommend i use to dry the wheels?  i have some of the grey utility towels and figured id use those in the meantime...unless of course i just happen to drive by adams tomorrow for some reason and get that darned blaster!!

im not sure i want to ceramic coat the rims, im usually out there weekly cleaning them so drying goes along with that HAHAHA

21 answers to this question

Agreed.  Just towels will do the job.  Get the wheel woolies if you don't have them yet.  They're great for getting deep in the wheel wells for us guys who don't have lifts to get behind the wheels. The small one really gets into small, tight spaces.  

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/wheels-tires/adam-s-wheel-woolie-combo.html

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Agreed.  Just towels will do the job.  Get the wheel woolies if you don't have them yet.  They're great for getting deep in the wheel wells for us guys who don't have lifts to get behind the wheels. The small one really gets into small, tight spaces.  

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/wheels-tires/adam-s-wheel-woolie-combo.html

just finished up.  i REALLY need a wheel woolie.  after fighting with that soft red wheel brush and realizing its not the tool for me, i had to bust out the utility towel and use my fingers.  this was the first cleaning of the wheels and tires too so they were BAD.  the worst part is............now that they are clean i have noticed 1 wheel has a dam rock chip in the paint and what looks like a rock scratch!!!  not a happy guy.  my eyes are saying (with tears in them)  my precious sweet brand new 19"s are ruined!!!  my brain is trying to figure out how to repair them.......

they look great (minus the inside of the wheel is garbage since i cant get my hands in there hence the need for woolies) i think ill be investing in the wheel mitt and giving away the wheel brush!!

I pulled the trigger on the sidekick blower a couple years ago, not sure why I waited.  I'd say I use it most on my wheels and tires.  It blows water from all them nooks that normally can't be dried until you go drive the car and spin them out.  I also like blowing off the tire sidewalls before I apply VRT.  If you are going to wait on the master blaster, maybe pick up a sidekick til then.  

I have a 2017 Durango R/T with 20 inch high gloss wheels. I do however keep them clean and never let them get nasty. I wash them with just soap and water as I don't allow for brake dust to ever build up especially on painted wheels. Once you get them clean you can wax them just like the paint of your car and then the dirt just falls off which makes them super easy to clean.

I wax them once a month just like my paint and in between waxes I use spray wax after washing. They shine like no other , look incredible and make it so easy to maintain.

To clean them in the condition your describing I would use a paint safe wheel cleaner.I'm new to Adam's but I'm sure they have a good quality wheel cleaner safe for painted wheels. Use a soft brush but allow the product to work. You don't want to scrub them as they do scratch very easy just like black paint on your car. I use a micro fiber towel to dry them as well as the tires after washing. 

On 4/17/2018 at 11:40 PM, bjoeaull said:

I pulled the trigger on the sidekick blower a couple years ago, not sure why I waited.  I'd say I use it most on my wheels and tires.  It blows water from all them nooks that normally can't be dried until you go drive the car and spin them out.  I also like blowing off the tire sidewalls before I apply VRT.  If you are going to wait on the master blaster, maybe pick up a sidekick til then.  

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I have a 2017 Durango R/T with 20 inch high gloss wheels. I do however keep them clean and never let them get nasty. I wash them with just soap and water as I don't allow for brake dust to ever build up especially on painted wheels. Once you get them clean you can wax them just like the paint of your car and then the dirt just falls off which makes them super easy to clean.

I wax them once a month just like my paint and in between waxes I use spray wax after washing. They shine like no other , look incredible and make it so easy to maintain.

To clean them in the condition your describing I would use a paint safe wheel cleaner.I'm new to Adam's but I'm sure they have a good quality wheel cleaner safe for painted wheels. Use a soft brush but allow the product to work. You don't want to scrub them as they do scratch very easy just like black paint on your car. I use a micro fiber towel to dry them as well as the tires after washing. 

@bjoeaull I’ll second that on the Sidekick Blower, loved it so much I bought a second one. The wife uses it for drying the dogs off after a bath when me and the boys aren’t using them to dry off our trucks, atvs & dirtbikes.  Very good investment!!

@Mantis check out the Eco Wheel Cleaner, safe for fragile surfaces

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

@bjoeaull I’ll second that on the Sidekick Blower, loved it so much I bought a second one. The wife uses it for drying the dogs off after a bath when me and the boys aren’t using them to dry off our trucks, atvs & dirtbikes.  Very good investment!!

@Mantis check out the Eco Wheel Cleaner, safe for fragile surfaces

We got a bottle of that and my son is going to try it out on his Audi A4.My wheels don't require any wheel cleaner.

I will third to anyone questioning a Side kick. I like it so much that i am debating the master blaster. I want the master blaster for the long hose. thats sweet, I could use it during the winter to get snow off my car because i dont use snow brushes. That is dangerous lol. But would be pretty cool to be able to blow snow off during the winter 

2 minutes ago, ObsessedDetailer said:

I will third to anyone questioning a Side kick. I like it so much that i am debating the master blaster. I want the master blaster for the long hose. thats sweet, I could use it during the winter to get snow off my car because i dont use snow brushes. That is dangerous lol. But would be pretty cool to be able to blow snow off during the winter 

Thats a great use idea and I’ve got the MB on my Black Friday list. Hopefully the sale is as big as they are hyping it up to be ??!

I know the master blaster is larger, but can tell you since I have it, not once have used the side kick I got (think it came with my Ultimate Kit that I purchased back in late 2013 or early 2014).  The master blaster have had for over a year now, and regret not purchasing it in 2013.  Also, I recently compared Adams prices on the master blaster vs another company....pay attention to the details on the sight, the other company is cheaper but it is because it only comes with a 10 ft hose, Adams comes with a 20ft hose, and yes the price difference is directly related to the hose length.  Add in that Adams has a 15% off sale & can apply to the master blaster, then technically Adams Polishes has the better price.  Lastly, the master blaster works far better at blowing water off your roof/hood/trunk/side panels than the sidekick does....side kick does great for crevices.

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

@Liralen I’ve got two Sidekicks and love them but I’ve got the MasterBlaster on my BlackFriday list for this year!!  Why is BlackFriday taking so long to get here... 

Same Jeff. I’m seriously considering the master blaster on Black Friday. Hoping I can go up to the warehouse and get a great deal as well on all the stuff coming out 

2 hours ago, ObsessedDetailer said:

Same Jeff. I’m seriously considering the master blaster on Black Friday. Hoping I can go up to the warehouse and get a great deal as well on all the stuff coming out 

Nice!!! it will be a great addition to the detail arsenal for sure!!

Jealous man, I wish I could just go up to the warehouse...  that would be very dangerous though and my wife would divorce me if I could haha!

35 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Nice!!! it will be a great addition to the detail arsenal for sure!!

Jealous man, I wish I could just go up to the warehouse...  that would be very dangerous though and my wife would divorce me if I could haha!

It is dangerous.. I was going every Friday since august but i decided like two weeks ago that i should probably wait and hold off till black friday! So thats my plan for now!

36 minutes ago, ObsessedDetailer said:

It is dangerous.. I was going every Friday since august but i decided like two weeks ago that i should probably wait and hold off till black friday! So thats my plan for now!

I bet it is, I’d be a kid in a candy store with a sweet tooth the size of T-Rex ??!!