Customer Service 866.965.0400

soft red wheel brush?

Bryman312

Question

so i cleaned the wheels and rubber today.  it was a pain to keep scrubbing those tires.....SOOO MUCH BROWN NASTINESS!!  so much so that when rinsed off the tires were whitish.  but the VRT made em look all nice!!

then i did the wheels.  i have painted glossy black wheels and i have to say, im not sure if it was because this was the first wheel cleaning they have ever had or not BUT i was NOT impressed with the red soft wheel brush AT ALL.  it was like it did nothing.  i had to saturate the wheels with the cleaner then use my hand with a grey Adams utility towel.

was i doing it all wrong?  or is this just not a wise usefull tool to use?

11 answers to this question

Did you clean the tires before the wheels?  The Wheel Cleaner works best on dry wheels (something it took me a while to remember!) - just spray and watch the brake blood run (well not on my cars, but for high performance brakes it does).  Then agitate with your choice of wheel brushes/woolies and rinse.

Wait...which brush did you use for what task? There's a slightly stiff bristle red and black tire brush, and a soft red wheel/rim brush. If you used the wheel brush on the tires, that might explain all the extra scrubbing.

I've found the WC works just fine when the wheels are wet. What was your exact process, how long did you wait until scrubbing, etc.? I love both brushes mentioned above, especially the red wheel one, so trying to figure out what happened.

I use the WC wet all the time, actually it says not to let it dry on the wheels. Sometimes it takes a while to start to react, and if you have ceramic pads you wont see the reaction happen but it will still be working on things. 

The softer bristle brush would be for the rims where the stiffer one would be for the tires. 

If it had a build up of some nasty stuff and the wheels were wet and the wheel cleaner got diluted because of it then I could see how that's possible.  Spray it onto dry wheels, let it work a bit and scrub it with a wet red brush.  After scrubbing rinse and inspect.  If they're cleaned regularly and you SEAL your wheels with H2O GG or similar product then they'll clean up without using Wheel Cleaner at all.  

so i got the wheels wet first, then sprayed on the eco wheel cleaner let it sit for a short time, id say 3 mins maybe?  then sprayed on the tire cleaner and scrubbed tires with the red/black brush.  then cleaned the wheel with the soft red brush.  as stated im guessing sprayed the wheel cleaner on freshly watered down wheels was my mistake.  still ill probably get the wheel mitt.  and now that its summer ill be cleaning those suckers at least weekly.

I have gloss black wheels as well. I would not use a brush unless absolutely required. Black just show scratches way to easily. Not worth it to me. The new wheel wash mitt works great and is only $10. I have used it a couple times now and its awesome. Don't know how I got by without it. As others stated, sealing them will help clean immensely and WC won't be required near as much. 

On any alloy wheel I've worked with I use the red wheel brush and it works fantastic. I either use Adam's WC or another brands wheel cleaner and I couldn't be happier with the results. If there's a space you can't fit the bristles in I use the lug nut brush for it. Never had an issue getting a perfectly clean wheel once I'm done. 

On 4/18/2018 at 9:28 PM, Rich said:

I never thought that the wheel brush was for more than taking the heaviest nastiest stuff off before washing. I always use a sponge, wheel woolie, glove or towel to actually CLEAN my wheels.  

Same with me. Be hard for any brush to remove 100%.

In most cases it cleans well enough and I just finish up with utility towel. On my wife's Chrome terrain wheels its almost perfect and detail spray and a towel and they are done.