Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hello from NoVa (Northern Virginia)

InkMing

Just dropping in to say howdy.

Current project that I am working on (in the late evenings when time finally permits) is cleaning up the much abused paint on my 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser.  It has seen some offroad miles and abuse.  Lot of pin-striping from tree branches and bushes.

Then the fair share of automatic carwashes (shudder).

So quite the bit of paint correction needed.  Been going at it and the swirl marks were quick to go.  The scratches have been interesting.  The ones that didn't look deep are putting up a fight and the ones that looked deep are gone.  lol

On 4/20/2018 at 10:30 PM, Nickfire20 said:

Welcome,  what are you using as tools and chemicals?

Used to use a Porter Cable DA polisher until recently.  Picked up a Flex XC3401 and have been really happy with it.  Seems to have more power than the PC and a lot less vibration.  Might be a bit heavier.  Haven't really held each side by side.

For the current Land Cruiser project, have been using a host of products and pads.

Currently using an orange pad and Meguair's Ultimate Compound.

Started off with Chemical Guys V38, then V36, then V34, then V32 before going to the Meguair's.  (yes completely backwards order on the Chemical Guys polish and compound, just wanted to start lighter before going to more abrasive)

I would say at this point on the surfaces I have down paint correction via compounding on, the swirls are gone.  What I am left with is the scratches.  Some panels seem to have less scratches than others.  So either what I was doing there, I did well OR that panel had a lot less trail abuse over the years and miles.

Currently have a Swirl Killer Mini on order and inbound with some Adam's compound and polish to try out.  So we will see.

The really really BIG challenge is finding the time to use the stuff and do the paint correction.  Nights and weekends fill up quick.

On 4/22/2018 at 12:16 AM, falcaineer said:

Welcome to the addiction! Used to live in Alexandria, loved it. Beautiful time of year there.

It is indeed.  But the weather has been a little whacky for April this year.  Not saying it hasn't been before, but more on the cooler/cold side than on the warmer side.

4 hours ago, chas said:

^ I feel like I've seen that cruiser floating around NoVa, where in the area generally are you?  I'm in Loudoun County in Sterling.

Highly likely you have seen it. You don't see too many Land Cruisers first of all. More 4Runners and Sequoias out there than the LC.

Also I am in Sterling. So that raises the chances of you having seen it even more. 

LOL

12 hours ago, InkMing said:

Highly likely you have seen it. You don't see too many Land Cruisers first of all. More 4Runners and Sequoias out there than the LC.

Also I am in Sterling. So that raises the chances of you having seen it even more. 

LOL

AH!  Good deal, well then, hello neighbor.  Cool to see another Adam's user to close.

Welcome Doug! On the really deep ones, you might want to try the 4" attachment for the cordless drill. Use that with some correcting polish and see if it works. If that doesnt do it, you might have to go over it a little with 2,000 wet sand, then go back and use the 4" drill pad to buff out, then of course follow with a swirl killer/polisher to remove the swirl marks left by the rotary from the drill attachment. Adam's actually has a video on this process that I personally found very helpful. This is the process I had to do on my car to eliminate a few of the deep ones! Hope this helps! Theres plenty of guys on this forum with much more experience than me, so im sure they can chime in and give you more guidance also!