Customer Service 866.965.0400

proper detail process ?

Keith93611

Good morning, all,

This is my first post!.  is there a place in this form that has the proper steps to doing a full detail ? starting with a 3 year old "Black GMC" paint with minimum scratches to preparing it for a ceramic coating ? I pretty much know what it will take just want to learn the proper steps to help element extra work and contamanation. 

Thanks~

Edited by Keith93611

Hey Keith, welcome to the forum!:welcomebanner: Glad to see you chose the right products! Adam's has some amazing stuff...I wouldnt use anything else! Yes theres tons of information on here...if you look in the detailing library you will probably find most of what you need...you can also find tons of how to videos made by Adam's themselves on just about every topic as well. I can tell you from experience, you will probably wanna start off with a clay mitt and probably some Iron remover, then move on to a 3 step polish to perform a full paint correction before applying ceramic coating. You always want to start with a fully corrected finish before coating because once its coated any correction will be considerably harder. Theres tons of way more knowledgeable detailers here than me so Im sure they will chime in soon and give you more details than I am providing! Post up some pics of your ride, we love pictures around here!

Eric, Thanks~ I did hang out with Adam all this week and he gave me a ton of advise and am definitely sold on his products, I have been just doing a basic wash and shine for the past few years with Adams products and it time to step up my game...  going the get started next week after i get back form portland. will be doing my Wife's WV CC and my Z71 crew, both black.  will post pics as I go, going to take my time and just do a panel or two every other day or so as time permits to get the best finish possible,  just don't want to do a step out of process and create cross contamination and extra work. 

It sounds like you're going in the direction of doing a ceramic coating.  Ceramic coatings are great but come with some caveats.  The prep for a coating is literally anything.  You can't coat over poor prep and have great results.  Instead, you've just solidified your results for a long time or caused a bunch of work to undo it. 

So the steps for prep are...

-wash

-iron decon

-clay

-polish (even new vehicles can benefit from a finish polish prior to coating)

-prep solution or IPA wipedown

Then the coating process.  If you're unsure of any step, feel free to ask a specific question.  Otherwise, this could turn into a novel about the process.

Go to Adam's Polishes on You Tube.  You'll see a ton of videos, plus you'll find videos included with nearly every product Adam's sells on their www.adamspolishes.com site.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:07 AM, shane@detailedreflections said:

It sounds like you're going in the direction of doing a ceramic coating.  Ceramic coatings are great but come with some caveats.  The prep for a coating is literally anything.  You can't coat over poor prep and have great results.  Instead, you've just solidified your results for a long time or caused a bunch of work to undo it. 

So the steps for prep are...

-wash

-iron decon

-clay

-polish (even new vehicles can benefit from a finish polish prior to coating)

-prep solution or IPA wipedown

Then the coating process.  If you're unsure of any step, feel free to ask a specific question.  Otherwise, this could turn into a novel about the process.

Yes I am going for Ceramic coating, the steps you provided are what I was thinking but there are a few others, like should i do all of the rubbers and plastics right after the wash or wait until i have done a good Cut, polish & Ceramic coat or should it be the last step?, same with windows and Wheels. I have all of the Adams Kits. Wheel Costing, Trim Coating & Paint Coating. I also have the 15MM swirl Killer kit.

Thanks in advance~ 

You would want to do all of your prep before the coatings. Coatings are the absolute last step. So we do all the decon and polish. Then we do a prep wipe of the entire vehicle. Then we will start with trim and finally paint. 

Wheels simply come off and can be done standalone. It’s easier to do four wheels at once if you have the capability. And we spray our wheel coatings instead of hand application.

10 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You would want to do all of your prep before the coatings. Coatings are the absolute last step. So we do all the decon and polish. Then we do a prep wipe of the entire vehicle. Then we will start with trim and finally paint. 

Wheels simply come off and can be done standalone. It’s easier to do four wheels at once if you have the capability. And we spray our wheel coatings instead of hand application.

Shane, what are you using to spray the wheel coatings, given that its such a small amount of product?

24 minutes ago, BRC said:

Shane, what are you using to spray the wheel coatings, given that its such a small amount of product?

We do it with an airbrush. For us the lost product to the airbrush is worth it and we make up for it in terms of time saved. It goes down thinner than by hand so it’s quicker and easier to buff off. Couple that with we can simply do the wheel in two sides instead of a bunch of smaller sections and it’s a no brainer for us. We actually use an inexpensive Harbor Frieght airbrush. If we mess one up from not getting totally cleaned or whatsoever it’s not a big deal. We are spraying a coating, not painting.