Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adams Ceramic Paint Coat!

CamKrohn

Question

In a few weeks I plan on doing a full decon, paint correction, and Adams Paint coating on my black 2012 Jeep Cherokee. First timer here with the paint coating, so I had a few questions. How long does a paint coating typically last? if done correctly, are quick wash, dry, detail spray or ceramic boost all I need to do to maintain? Also what strips a ceramic coating? Is there any need to put wax on top of a ceramic coating after the initial coating? or is that going to cause hazing? Sorry total noob here, just trying to get my car dialed in after this horrible Minnesota winter.

Thanks!

-Cameron

5 answers to this question

The durability of a coating is variable.  It depends on the type of coating and the conditions it's subjected to.  Adam's goes on in a single layer and you can expect 18-24 months, maybe longer with good care. 

Coatings will require decontamination a couple of times a year.  So clay with a soft clay, iron decontamination and reapplication of Ceramic Boost.  Ceramic Boost can actually be used almost like a quick detailer every couple of months if you'd like.

The only way to remove a ceramic coating is through actual wear and tear, or by mechanical abrasion such as wetsanding or polishing.  We stripped an Adam's coating off of a vehicle and it took a pass of compound with a wool pad, compound with a foam pad, correcting polish with a foam pad and finishing polish with a foam pad to get the vehicle where we wanted it to reinstall different protection.

You can put wax on a coating, but there isn't really a lot of need.  Depending on the wax you use, you may find a change in how water reacts to the coating.  One of the benefits of a coating is more durability and less maintenance (but not maintenance free).

And I'll add what I always do.  The secret to a good coating installation is in the prep.  Gloss comes from prep work and not from the product.  Exceptional prep will make an exceptional finish regardless of the last step products used.  Take your time.  Be diligent.  Use different lighting and be thorough.

Thanks for the feedback!! plan on using car pro reset to wipe the car down fully before applying the coating to get any oils or fingerprints or anything off the car. Will be doing it in a closed garage, and leaving the car overnight, dont think I can escape driving it for 24 hours. Is it a must to wait 24hrs to cure before applying the boost? or is it just about not getting it wet? example. Car pro reset, apply coating, let car sit, if I have to drive it, can I hit it with the Reset again before the boost?

thanks again!

I would let it sit in controlled environment as long of the 24 hours as possible, it is mainly about not getting any moisture on the coating while it cures however. As said by Shane, I would not use any waxes or polymer sealants unless designed to work with coating (i.e. Adams Ceramic paste wax) as it could act funny applying them or mess up the hydrophobic properties on the coating. Ceramic Boost is applied usually every few months or so as part of the typical wash routine. Once its coated you can blow dry the car pretty easy. I made a quick detail solution of Car Pro ECH20 and Adams Ceramic Boost that seems to work really well as a drying add and gloss enhancer  to go over the car real quick after a wash.

Just an FYI Car Pro Reset is their soap, you want to use Car Pro Eraser or Adams Coating prep prior to applying the coating, once the paint is corrected.

Edited by nasastang

52 minutes ago, CamKrohn said:

Thanks for the feedback!! plan on using car pro reset to wipe the car down fully before applying the coating to get any oils or fingerprints or anything off the car. Will be doing it in a closed garage, and leaving the car overnight, dont think I can escape driving it for 24 hours. Is it a must to wait 24hrs to cure before applying the boost? or is it just about not getting it wet? example. Car pro reset, apply coating, let car sit, if I have to drive it, can I hit it with the Reset again before the boost?

thanks again!

Like was mentioned above, reset is a soap. You’ll want eraser or Adams coating prep. 

That veing said, I’d you can’t let it sit for 24 hours and don’t have infrared curing lights, a coating quite honestly may not be the product for you. 

You really don’t want to go through the trouble of prepping and then putting down a coating (it’s not fast, even for us and we do it frequently) only to not allow proper curing time. You most likely won’t be happy with the results. And coatings only come off with mechanical abrasion...so wear, wetsanding or polishing (a lot of it). So you’ll have a long road ahead to fix it if you’re unhappy. 

Be realistic about your capabilities, expectations and means of following the instructions. They were written that way for a reason...