Customer Service 866.965.0400

Porter Cable 7424XP vs Adam's Swirl Killer (SKMB Temptation)

LSX Maestro

Question

I know this question of "PC vs other polisher" has been asked a million times.  But I'm here to ask it again ? .  I just purchased a brand new PC 7424 to replace my older one, I polished out the hood/front flip of my Vette last night and I had no issue with it.  I don't mind the vibrations which aren't even that bad IMO (Maybe I got a Wednesday machine) and it easily got the job done.  But, gosh darn it, the SKMB is tempting me like crazy right now.  So basically the SK 15 would just get the same results a bit faster and run a bit smoother.  Worth it?  I'm not a professional detailer, just a hobbyist that likes to maintain my...fleet, of cars.  Should I just be happy with the PC and just order a TOMB instead? 

8 answers to this question

I have an older PC 7424 (not the 7424XP?). I have only polished my truck once. (4 times really.... 3 step polish and then the sealant) I am in the same boat as you as far as the PC. It works well, it didn’t kill my arms with vibrations as most have said it does. BUT with that being said, when the time is right for me.... I will upgrade to the SK15mm! 

I don’t think you’d be disappointed by the SK. You could always pull the trigger in a different size?  More polishers is never a bad thing. And any serious detailer could benefit from a mini. 

We have all four sizes of polishers and routinely use all four. Some more than others, but all see use. 

I have, use, and am fine with the PC. I only polish twice a year, so not enough to justify the extra cost right now on a somewhat similar machine (before anyone jumps in, I just mean it's a mid-sized polisher). I agree with Shane...look a it a different size, like the Mini. You'll probably get more bang for your buck since the MB likely includes pads, polish, etc. My two cents.

At the time the Porter Cable was the only polisher that fit my budget when I got into detailing about 4 years ago. If I was to buy a polisher now I'd get a swirl killer of some type I'd imagine... The PC is clunky and chunky combined with it's not so good vibrations it wears out my now 33 year old hands... If I was 23 years old I might not be as sensitive but...

I also have the Porter Cable Polisher.  I purchased the Swirl Killer and it is a night and day difference.  It handles so much better.  I purchased a 4 inch backing plate off the website and converted my Porter Cable Polisher into a poor man's Swirl Killer Mini lol.  

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing/adam-s-4-machine-polisher-backing-plate.html

I recently bought the SK mystery box.  As @falcaineer suggested, the boxes generally include pads.  For the 15mm SK, you receive three 5.5" pads - blue, orange and white - to get you started.  Mine actually came with three pairs of 4.5" SK Mini pads!  Adam's order folks confirmed that was a packing error and they should all come with the correct size pads.  I too have a Porter Cable, and I also have a Griot's Garage 3".  I have put a 2" packing plate (Griot's BOSS) on the 3", as it's underpowered with a 3-4" pad (mine is an old GG unit) and it runs much better with a 2".  I also have a 1"BP and pads from Detailer's Domain and just need some extension bars.  The PC is now my 3" and isn't too much different on the vibe front.  Very manageable and much more torque than the Griot's 3".  The Swirl Killer is now my stock 5" (or 5.5" for pads) for larger panels and my PC 3" has both 3" (Griot's) and 4.5" (Adam's) pads, so some varying sizes and thickness of pads.  I have a MINI and my wife has an SUV, so the range of sizes is really useful.  I've used the SK today and I'm impressed.  More comfortable to use than the PC and I like the extra throw.