Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which pads to buy?

WolfTheF82

Question

Hi All! Newbie to the forums (and paint correction). I have a Brilliant Black Audi that has some swirls. Nothing too deep but noticeable to me. I found the Adam's video about paint correction, and the guy used 2 pads, an orange foam and an orange microfiber. I found the orange foam on the website, but not the orange microfiber pad. Has that been replaced with the blue microfiber pad? Do you think that might be overkill? Am I better off just using the orange foam and getting to say 95%? If I'm going to put in the effort (this is all because I want to apply Paint Sealant) I'd prefer the paint to be 100% but I could "live" with 95%. 

This picture is probably the worst of it. There is also some road rash mixed in, but short of repainting there isn't much I can do about that. 

Thanks in advance! 

IMG_20170223_182048538.jpg

11 answers to this question

Don’t underestimate the power of a foam pad. They will cut. That looks superficial. Correcting polish and an orange pad followed by finishing polish and a white pad and I think you’d be satisfied. 

We all want that 100% perfect finish. It’s very elusive, even for those of us who do this often. You can drive yourself crazy trying to find it at best, and at worst you can trash a paint job. A good rule of thumb is how it looks from three feet away. 

Even the majority of clients won’t pay for thay perfect finish. It’s expensive and we only do that by the hour since they can add up. Ever see those “forty hour details?” Most of that time is spent polishing. 

If you have the patience, chase it. But invest in the tools to protect yourself from costly mistakes. We typically don’t touch cars until we’ve put a paint gauge to them for regular polishing...and we wouldn’t chase perfection without doing it. 

Youll be amazed at what two steps of polishing gets you. Take your time. Do it right. 

54 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Don’t underestimate the power of a foam pad. They will cut. That looks superficial. Correcting polish and an orange pad followed by finishing polish and a white pad and I think you’d be satisfied. 

We all want that 100% perfect finish. It’s very elusive, even for those of us who do this often. You can drive yourself crazy trying to find it at best, and at worst you can trash a paint job. A good rule of thumb is how it looks from three feet away. 

Even the majority of clients won’t pay for thay perfect finish. It’s expensive and we only do that by the hour since they can add up. Ever see those “forty hour details?” Most of that time is spent polishing. 

If you have the patience, chase it. But invest in the tools to protect yourself from costly mistakes. We typically don’t touch cars until we’ve put a paint gauge to them for regular polishing...and we wouldn’t chase perfection without doing it. 

Youll be amazed at what two steps of polishing gets you. Take your time. Do it right. 

Thanks Shane! That helps a lot! 

Good info from @shane@detailedreflections (as usual!). I'll also add yes, the orange microfiber pad was discontinued and replaced with the blue microfiber pad. 

Also, to help fill some small imperfections, at least temporarily, and add some amazing shine, add BG to your routine.  You're gonna love it.

32 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Good info from @shane@detailedreflections (as usual!). I'll also add yes, the orange microfiber pad was discontinued and replaced with the blue microfiber pad. 

Also, to help fill some small imperfections, at least temporarily, and add some amazing shine, add BG to your routine.  You're gonna love it.

Thanks for the info Chris! I actually just got some Brilliant Glaze in my MB! Guess I can put it to good use. ?

24 minutes ago, WolfTheF82 said:

Thanks for the info Chris! I actually just got some Brilliant Glaze in my MB! Guess I can put it to good use. ?

Yep, you certainly can. Be sure to put on s0me sunglasses first, though. It may blind you.  ? It's also awesome for the inside of the windshield to help remove/prevent the incessant haze. 

3 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Yep, you certainly can. Be sure to put on s0me sunglasses first, though. It may blind you.  ? It's also awesome for the inside of the windshield to help remove/prevent the incessant haze. 

Thanks for the heads up! I may have to try that out tonight. I drive with the windows down a lot and it seems to speed up the collection of dirt on my windscreen.

The video didn't really show any particular technique for applying, should I simply go back and forth or does a cross hatch pattern work better? 

47 minutes ago, WolfTheF82 said:

Thanks for the heads up! I may have to try that out tonight. I drive with the windows down a lot and it seems to speed up the collection of dirt on my windscreen.

The video didn't really show any particular technique for applying, should I simply go back and forth or does a cross hatch pattern work better? 

Whatever works for you that ensures full coverage is fine.