Customer Service 866.965.0400

Washing my wash mitt

Derek

Question

Could be a dumb question...but it’s been about a week and a half since I’ve washed my car. Last time I did so it looks like my wash mitt(s) didn’t dry out completely since I was in a hurry cleaning up, and still are moist and have some water inside. 

1- what could happen from this?

2- what’s the best (and quickest) way to clean the mitts safely to make sure they are still good to wash with?

15 answers to this question

I would imagine mold would be the worst that could happen. Maybe something more? You can stick them in the wash machine. Cold with scent and dye free detergent. Dry on air dry or low heat. No linens or dry sheets.

Edited by SlammedRT

10 hours ago, SlammedRT said:

I would imagine mold would be the worst that could happen. Maybe something more? You can stick them in the wash machine. Cold with scent and dye free detergent. Dry on air dry or low heat. No linens or dry sheets.

10 hours ago, ExcellentAmp said:

You may not even need to dry them. My wash media (mitts and wash pads) are nearly dry after the washing cycle.

Did some research and I’ll pick up some tide pods free and gentle. Appreciate the help guys

You should really consider the MRB. It'll take care of all your cleaning needs and is a much better option for cleaning towels, pads, etc. Absent that, I don't know if pods are a good option. Instead, just get the liquid free and clear detergent. All works pretty well for a lower cost. But again, MRB is the preferred option of any of them.

Get the Microfiber Revitalizer.  Use that and gentle cycle in the machine.  You could even fill a bucket and add some MR to it and soak them for a couple hours before washing.   I don't recommend the pods.  Even Woolite is better.  You can toss your mitts into the dryer on low or no heat, then hang them up, open side down, to finish drying. Don't put them back into a bucket, especially with a lid on it, when they're damp. 

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

You should really consider the MRB. It'll take care of all your cleaning needs and is a much better option for cleaning towels, pads, etc. Absent that, I don't know if pods are a good option. Instead, just get the liquid free and clear detergent. All works pretty well for a lower cost. But again, MRB is the preferred option of any of them.

57 minutes ago, Rich said:

Get the Microfiber Revitalizer.  Use that and gentle cycle in the machine.  You could even fill a bucket and add some MR to it and soak them for a couple hours before washing.   I don't recommend the pods.  Even Woolite is better.  You can toss your mitts into the dryer on low or no heat, then hang them up, open side down, to finish drying. Don't put them back into a bucket, especially with a lid on it, when they're damp. 

Actually just got some MRB in my latest order so I’ll jusr use that. Recommended sizing for it? I’ve heard 2 ounces?

6 hours ago, Derek said:

Actually just got some MRB in my latest order so I’ll jusr use that. Recommended sizing for it? I’ve heard 2 ounces?

That's what the label recommends for regular-sized loads. You could use less with smaller loads.

Thanks for the help guys. Was able to wake up early and throw in the wash...currently drying right now on low-temp settings and will be good to use for washing later this afternoon. Appreciate the help!

I would recommend running a cleaning cycle (if your machine that) after you finish (and before too), or even better run Tide Washing Machine Cleaner through it.  The Cleaner is always my final "load" to make sure the polishes, waxes, etc. are gone from the machine before the next load of clothes is done.

I never use a machine for mine. Just a good rinse on a grit guard (they have been sitting in a bucket of soapy water, right?), wring them out, shake well, and hang up to air dry. Always come out clean and never any mold issues. 

On 5/14/2018 at 1:00 PM, SlammedRT said:

I have had similar issues, was glad to find out that there is unlikely to be major issues. Also easy ways to fix it.