Customer Service 866.965.0400

Damaged Clear Coat?

rotary57

Question

So I recently purchased another 93 RX-7 and the first thing I did was give it the TLC it needed. Started with a wash then I clay bard the entire car and got it prepped for a full polish. I noticed that in my black FD there was like a line running across the sides but I’m not entirely sure if I damaged the paint when I polished it or if it was just the paint fading due to age. When I was polishing my montego blue FD I started noticing the same type of line. I don’t know if I was damaging the clear coat or if that is just how the paint is on these cars.

The steps I took are as follows;

wash (ultra foam shampoo)

claybar/detail spray lubricant 

microfiber correcting pad w/ correcting compound  (pad brush and detail spray in between panels)

orange correcting pad

The first two pictures are the lines in question and the third picture is of the trunk where it seems to be damaged paint under the clear coat but I’m new to paint/polishing/detailing so I’m not 100% sure. None of these areas feel rough to the touch. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! 

547ED5F4-8C91-4AD7-A8E6-261E7133CC7A.jpeg

9BAABBF1-60AA-4FD4-8F29-C9CB76ECC917.jpeg

E104D4BB-03B7-48CA-B59B-223CF7CBEE92.jpeg

2 answers to this question

The third picture is after I tried polishing it out. I didn't want to burn through the clear coat so I only gave it like 2 passes with the microfiber cutting pad and heavy correcting compound and one pass with the orange correcting pad. the surface is slick to the touch which is why I was thinking it was under the clear coat.