Jump to content
Customer Service 866.965.0400
  • 0
TJM

Leather Conditioner: Is this Normal?

Question

I used the leather conditioner for the first time yesterday and when I first applied it there would be what I can best describe as little balls of carnuba. This happened everytime I applied product.  Actually, when I spread the conditioner on the pad with my finger the balls would form.  Once I spread it and rubbed it into the leather the “carnuba” would rub in/disappear. I assume that it is not normal?  I am thinking that maybe it got too hot/cold during shipping (I got it a few momths ago)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Can't say I've ever experienced that. Give them a call in the a.m.  I'm assuming you gave it a good shake first.  Not sure how any little balls of anything can get through that little hole on top. But yeah, give them a call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I did shake it, several times. The conditioner came out normal, as a cream. But when I would spread it on the applicator with my finger the “carnuba” or whatever it is would start to come out and form into the little pieces. I figured that it wasn’t normal, but thought I’d ask here if anyone else had seen this before. It must be a bad batch or something temperature wise affected it?  Thanks for responding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I have had the exact same thing happen recently using my LIC. I didn't think it was much of an issue as rubbing them in made it go away but I tried a different (new) bottle .It did the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, TJM said:

I did shake it, several times. The conditioner came out normal, as a cream. But when I would spread it on the applicator with my finger the “carnuba” or whatever it is would start to come out and form into the little pieces. I figured that it wasn’t normal, but thought I’d ask here if anyone else had seen this before. It must be a bad batch or something temperature wise affected it?  Thanks for responding. 

 

17 minutes ago, Ironjaw said:

I have had the exact same thing happen recently using my LIC. I didn't think it was much of an issue as rubbing them in made it go away but I tried a different (new) bottle .It did the same thing.

 

?  Wonder if you both have the same (bad?) batch. What are the lot numbers and dates listed on your bottles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 minutes ago, Ironjaw said:

I have had the exact same thing happen recently using my LIC. I didn't think it was much of an issue as rubbing them in made it go away but I tried a different (new) bottle .It did the same thing.

 

Not understanding why Leather and Interior Cleaner would do that, since that's a cleaner and not a conditioner and has no conditioning properties. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, falcaineer said:

 

 

?  Wonder if you both have the same (bad?) batch. What are the lot numbers and dates listed on your bottles?

 

One is Leather Conditioner, one is Leather & Interior Cleaner.  Not the same products. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, Rich said:

 

Not understanding why Leather and Interior Cleaner would do that, since that's a cleaner and not a conditioner and has no conditioning properties. 

 

Type-o?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

I will check the lot numbers on the bottles I have.

 

?  Wonder if you both have the same (bad?) batch. What are the lot numbers and dates listed on your bottles?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I just got home & took some pics of the conditioner out of the bottle on the pad and after the first wipe with the pieces of whatever they are. The only number I see on the bottle is the upc: 16932 83407. 

 

370C952B-B92D-4F5D-9CCE-0A6873ED7306.jpeg

7B481B0E-5B13-46B2-BA63-3D2E0537C23A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, TJM said:

I just got home & took some pics of the conditioner out of the bottle on the pad and after the first wipe with the pieces of whatever they are. The only number I see on the bottle is the upc: 16932 83407

 

370C952B-B92D-4F5D-9CCE-0A6873ED7306.jpeg

7B481B0E-5B13-46B2-BA63-3D2E0537C23A.jpeg

Just a suggestion but it could be deep rooted dirt and grime . Like when my kid said he showered and i would go in and scrub him and just see the dirt on the lufa.or the pad has dirt residue ? Just throwing out suggestions . 

Fti not a fan of leather but something about red leather ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, TJM said:

I just got home & took some pics of the conditioner out of the bottle on the pad and after the first wipe with the pieces of whatever they are. The only number I see on the bottle is the upc: 16932 83407. 

 

370C952B-B92D-4F5D-9CCE-0A6873ED7306.jpeg

7B481B0E-5B13-46B2-BA63-3D2E0537C23A.jpeg

 

Hmm. Sometimes they print a lot number and date on the bottle, sort of like you'd see on groceries. Do you know when you bought it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, mexiking2365 said:

Just a suggestion but it could be deep rooted dirt and grime . Like when my kid said he showered and i would go in and scrub him and just see the dirt on the lufa.or the pad has dirt residue ? Just throwing out suggestions . 

Fti not a fan of leather but something about red leather ???

 

I used Leather & Interior Cleaner before I applied the conditioner. The pad was new and the pieces would form on the pad as I spread it before applying it to the leather. Good thought though. 

 

I just got off the phone with Adams and they are sending another bottle. The person I spoke with said he has received a couple other calls about the same issue, so maybe it is a bad batch?  I ordered it 3/28. 

Edited by TJM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Try using a  microfiber towel next time and see what happens. I never use a foam applicator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

My last 8oz bottle does the same thing but I ordered it during winter so I figured it froze a bit and it was how it reacted to being frozen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
14 hours ago, red94chev said:

I would try with a microfiber and see what happens, almost looks like pieces of foam that are disintegrating off the applicator.

 

I agree, I use the  ADAM'S PREMIUM INTERIOR DRESSING APPLICATOR for my Leather conditioner. Works great.
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/buffing-pads-applicators/adam-s-premium-interior-dressing-applicators.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/25/2018 at 1:48 PM, TJM said:

I just got home & took some pics of the conditioner out of the bottle on the pad and after the first wipe with the pieces of whatever they are. The only number I see on the bottle is the upc: 16932 83407. 

 

370C952B-B92D-4F5D-9CCE-0A6873ED7306.jpeg

7B481B0E-5B13-46B2-BA63-3D2E0537C23A.jpeg

I have seen this threat pop up a few times. Yesterday i cleaned my car and did clean my leather. I went to apply the leather conditioner by hand and mie did the same thing. I found it very interesting. I just wiped the little pieces away with a towel but still interesting that it happened same way yours did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Interesting for sure.

I suspect these bottles must have gotten filled from the bottom of the batch. Where things had settled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, camaro2ssblack said:

I would ask for a replacement or refund.  That's not normal and certainly not acceptable.

 

He did state they were sending him a new bottle.

TJ, did the new bottle work OK? It does not look like you have posted since you said they were sending you a new bottle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×