Customer Service 866.965.0400
TJM

Leather Conditioner: Is this Normal?

Question

I used the leather conditioner for the first time yesterday and when I first applied it there would be what I can best describe as little balls of carnuba. This happened everytime I applied product.  Actually, when I spread the conditioner on the pad with my finger the balls would form.  Once I spread it and rubbed it into the leather the “carnuba” would rub in/disappear. I assume that it is not normal?  I am thinking that maybe it got too hot/cold during shipping (I got it a few momths ago)?

23 answers to this question

Can't say I've ever experienced that. Give them a call in the a.m.  I'm assuming you gave it a good shake first.  Not sure how any little balls of anything can get through that little hole on top. But yeah, give them a call.

I did shake it, several times. The conditioner came out normal, as a cream. But when I would spread it on the applicator with my finger the “carnuba” or whatever it is would start to come out and form into the little pieces. I figured that it wasn’t normal, but thought I’d ask here if anyone else had seen this before. It must be a bad batch or something temperature wise affected it?  Thanks for responding. 

I have had the exact same thing happen recently using my LIC. I didn't think it was much of an issue as rubbing them in made it go away but I tried a different (new) bottle .It did the same thing.

6 hours ago, TJM said:

I did shake it, several times. The conditioner came out normal, as a cream. But when I would spread it on the applicator with my finger the “carnuba” or whatever it is would start to come out and form into the little pieces. I figured that it wasn’t normal, but thought I’d ask here if anyone else had seen this before. It must be a bad batch or something temperature wise affected it?  Thanks for responding. 

17 minutes ago, Ironjaw said:

I have had the exact same thing happen recently using my LIC. I didn't think it was much of an issue as rubbing them in made it go away but I tried a different (new) bottle .It did the same thing.

?  Wonder if you both have the same (bad?) batch. What are the lot numbers and dates listed on your bottles?

19 minutes ago, Ironjaw said:

Not understanding why Leather and Interior Cleaner would do that, since that's a cleaner and not a conditioner and has no conditioning properties. 

Just now, falcaineer said:

?  Wonder if you both have the same (bad?) batch. What are the lot numbers and dates listed on your bottles?

One is Leather Conditioner, one is Leather & Interior Cleaner.  Not the same products. 

Just now, Rich said:

Not understanding why Leather and Interior Cleaner would do that, since that's a cleaner and not a conditioner and has no conditioning properties. 

Type-o?

9 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

I will check the lot numbers on the bottles I have.

I just got home & took some pics of the conditioner out of the bottle on the pad and after the first wipe with the pieces of whatever they are. The only number I see on the bottle is the upc: 16932 83407. 

370C952B-B92D-4F5D-9CCE-0A6873ED7306.jpeg

7B481B0E-5B13-46B2-BA63-3D2E0537C23A.jpeg

1 minute ago, TJM said:

I just got home & took some pics of the conditioner out of the bottle on the pad and after the first wipe with the pieces of whatever they are. The only number I see on the bottle is the upc: 16932 83407

Just a suggestion but it could be deep rooted dirt and grime . Like when my kid said he showered and i would go in and scrub him and just see the dirt on the lufa.or the pad has dirt residue ? Just throwing out suggestions . 

Fti not a fan of leather but something about red leather ???

3 minutes ago, TJM said:

I just got home & took some pics of the conditioner out of the bottle on the pad and after the first wipe with the pieces of whatever they are. The only number I see on the bottle is the upc: 16932 83407. 

Hmm. Sometimes they print a lot number and date on the bottle, sort of like you'd see on groceries. Do you know when you bought it? 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, mexiking2365 said:

Just a suggestion but it could be deep rooted dirt and grime . Like when my kid said he showered and i would go in and scrub him and just see the dirt on the lufa.or the pad has dirt residue ? Just throwing out suggestions . 

Fti not a fan of leather but something about red leather ???

I used Leather & Interior Cleaner before I applied the conditioner. The pad was new and the pieces would form on the pad as I spread it before applying it to the leather. Good thought though. 

I just got off the phone with Adams and they are sending another bottle. The person I spoke with said he has received a couple other calls about the same issue, so maybe it is a bad batch?  I ordered it 3/28. 

Edited by TJM

Try using a  microfiber towel next time and see what happens. I never use a foam applicator.

My last 8oz bottle does the same thing but I ordered it during winter so I figured it froze a bit and it was how it reacted to being frozen.

14 hours ago, red94chev said:

I would try with a microfiber and see what happens, almost looks like pieces of foam that are disintegrating off the applicator.

I agree, I use the  ADAM'S PREMIUM INTERIOR DRESSING APPLICATOR for my Leather conditioner. Works great.
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/buffing-pads-applicators/adam-s-premium-interior-dressing-applicators.html

On 5/25/2018 at 1:48 PM, TJM said:

I have seen this threat pop up a few times. Yesterday i cleaned my car and did clean my leather. I went to apply the leather conditioner by hand and mie did the same thing. I found it very interesting. I just wiped the little pieces away with a towel but still interesting that it happened same way yours did

Interesting for sure.

I suspect these bottles must have gotten filled from the bottom of the batch. Where things had settled.

11 hours ago, camaro2ssblack said:

I would ask for a replacement or refund.  That's not normal and certainly not acceptable.

He did state they were sending him a new bottle.

TJ, did the new bottle work OK? It does not look like you have posted since you said they were sending you a new bottle.