Customer Service 866.965.0400

bottom of door sills preventative rust?

tonymix17

Question

have had issues with all of my cars rust on the bottom of the doors. Bought  a newly used car and do not want that to happen again when i go to sell it. How do i prevent that from occurring? Paint sealant every 6 months coupled with h20 g&g every other month? Also used glass sealant on all windows and soon the headlights and tail lights. Should i do the wheels with paint sealant as well? Car sits outside year round in Chicago weather, burning cold winters with snow and salt, scorching hot summers, and flood like rains in spring. Thanks y'all. 

14 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, 2012srt8 said:

you need to have it oil sprayed yearly.paint sealant will do nothing

How much does that cost, where can I get that done, and  really? No amount of any chemical can prevent that? 

nope.even ceramic coating wont fix that. I live In windsor,ont.same weather as you.my truck was oil sprayed 5 months after i bought it.should only cost you $100.they will drill holes around your door jams in my case they were there from the factory with rubber caps. they then fill your rockers with oil and spray the whole underside of your car with a thin oil. the main brand is called krown rust prevention,at least it is here in canada.  a lot of automotive shops can do this for you

Edited by 2012srt8

Years ago, that's what we all did when we bought a car.............paid to have it rust proofed.  Zeibart, Rusty Jones, and any number of other brands.  And it worked. But todays cars don't need it.  Not sure why you're having that problem on every car you owned.  I know personally I've never had that happen except on cars I bought in the 70's and early 80's. 

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

Years ago, that's what we all did when we bought a car.............paid to have it rust proofed.  Zeibart, Rusty Jones, and any number of other brands.  And it worked. But todays cars don't need it.  Not sure why you're having that problem on every car you owned.  I know personally I've never had that happen except on cars I bought in the 70's and early 80's. 

My 2000 Ford Ranger rusted. My 2002 Ford Taurus are rusted. My 1993 Infiniti J 30 rusted. I have a 2013 Corolla  I just don’t want to Russ. The closest place to do rust proofing is 5.5 hours away I’ll check the local area again. 

1 hour ago, 2012srt8 said:

nope.even ceramic coating wont fix that. I live In windsor,ont.same weather as you.my truck was oil sprayed 5 months after i bought it.should only cost you $100.they will drill holes around your door jams in my case they were there from the factory with rubber caps. they then fill your rockers with oil and spray the whole underside of your car with a thin oil. the main brand is called krown rust prevention,at least it is here in canada.  a lot of automotive shops can do this for you

Im talking about the bottom panel of the door inside and out. You can use that rust stuff on the outside of the car? Nice. How long does it last? 

they dont use it on the outside but it does get on the doors.youll wanna wash the car right after it's done.it last a year.usually you do it every October.

7 hours ago, tonymix17 said:

Im talking about the bottom panel of the door inside and out. You can use that rust stuff on the outside of the car? Nice. How long does it last? 

Get yourself a few cans of Fluid Film and spray it in every nook and cranny you can get to and the underside of the car. (best to do it right before winter)  Even then as bad as it seems, a daily driver car that lives outside in the salt belt has a limited lifespan for when the rust will hit.

15 hours ago, Rich said:

today's cars are worse then ever. I've seen 3 year old pick ups from Chevy and ford where the doors and rockers are already rusting. my friends 2008 Silverado started in 2010. fixed under warrenty and 1 year later rusting out again. once it had been fixed 3 times and the warrenty was up he sold it. I seen his old truck 3 weeks ago and its completely rotted out on the box and the rockers and doors.  I will always have every vehicle I own sprayed unless it's a summer only toy

3 hours ago, 2012srt8 said:

today's cars are worse then ever. I've seen 3 year old pick ups from Chevy and ford where the doors and rockers are already rusting. my friends 2008 Silverado started in 2010. fixed under warrenty and 1 year later rusting out again. once it had been fixed 3 times and the warrenty was up he sold it. I seen his old truck 3 weeks ago and its completely rotted out on the box and the rockers and doors.  I will always have every vehicle I own sprayed unless it's a summer only toy

True because of the new laws. Paints are thinner and less quality making chips, dings, scuffs, and scratches easier. 

Guess I live in a not so harsh area here in the mountains of Pennsylvania.  Haven't had any rust issues in YEARS.    But in response , I think clear tape would be your best option to prevent the chips, but the problem lies on the inside. Red94chevy had a good idea. 

Fluid film is the way to go. Have been using this stuff for years and works great for rust preventative on vehicles. Dodge trucks are famous for the rear fender wells rusting out. My last dodge ram was 9 years old when I sold it for my current 14 ram, with no rust what so ever. Once a year I try and apply fluid film to the undercarriage. They sell a 24" extension wand you can attach directly to the fluid film aerosol can to snake inside the holes in bottom of doors, works great. Recently purchased the fluid film pro spray gun to connect to my compressor and works perfect for spraying the frame rails. No amount of protection you apply to the exterior of paint will prevent rust, it always seems to start from the inside out, which obviously you can't see until it's too late

Fluid Film is DEF a great way to go. The oil will also work but is less frequent to find someone who will do it right. I have a friend who just mixed the two parts and used a spray gun with a piece of tube to get into the frame rails. Same theory as the spray can but he had all the equipment already.