Customer Service 866.965.0400

New 9h ceramic coating concern

tlbullet

Question

After reading numerous posts and watching as many videos as i could find I attempted my first CC to my DD last night. I did full correction...prep spray and applied the coating as directed.  

Im hoping i didnt do anything wrong , but

the coating wasnt as tacky as i have heard from other members during removal (i think the newer formula is supposed to be this way). 

The coating flashed relativley quickly and I let it sit for about another minute as directed.   Its been about 12 hrs and i havnt noticed any high spots (yet!!). 

I placed the appliactor and the single soft mf that  i removed the CC on the side (i know im supposed to toss it) and this AM i found

tha tthe applicator  and SS were as soft as

they were when i started.  

Shouldnt at least the appliactor feel a little stiff from the Cc???    Im hoping someone else on the forum  has used this new 9h cc and had similar results.  

Im gonna wait a total of about 36 hrs before applying the CB.  

It seemed to go to easy last night...i probably removed it too soon and basically

wasted my time!!

Also the new CC actaully left my car smooth ..once again im hoping that normal!!!!!!! Older reviews said their cars were left tacky!!

ill CB it tomorrow and post some results. 

7 answers to this question

The applicator and towels won’t dry hard.  What you don’t want is bits of coating embedded in the towel dragging across the paint. It’s better to be safe. Reuse those at your own risk. We have specific ceramic buffing towels we use and we throw a bunch of them away with every coating. It’s part of the job. 

As soon as the coating hits the paint, the bond begins to form. By the time you put the bottle down, recapped it, etc, you won’t remove the coating. When you apply a coating, a good amount of the coating ends up being buffed off in the leveling process. A coating is microns thick (sometimes less). The coating will be just fine. 

The coating should leave the paint feeling smooth. If it didn’t, I’d wonder what was wrong. 

Coatings are not inherently difficult to work with. They take time and patience to do. That’s all. 

Thanks Shane!

I wasnt planning on using the mf and applicator again just curious to see what it would be like. 

It did seem like not much of the product was  left on the paint, as you said its only microns thick. 

Looking forward to applying the CB and then taking it outside to see the results. 

Thanks again 

After doing my first CC a few weeks ago, I decided to also put CC on my daughter’s Honda Accord (yesterday) before she goes off to school in the fall.  The second time around, my experience was similar to yours when I leveled it relatively quickly - it was easy to do.  However, if I waited 30-45 seconds or longer, it was very tacky, and difficult to level off.  After 24 hours, the applicator was almost rigid on the side used to apply the coating. I think humidity and temperature can impact all of this.  I applied in a garage that was at least 80 degrees with near 100% humidity. 

I had a few streaky spots or high spots in both cases, especially where I overlapped on large panels or door edges.  However, I had to be out in the sunlight to spot them the day after coating.  I used BG to remove nearly all of them, and in a couple of spots I used finish polish.  Ceramics Paste Wax topped both of them off.  It came out great, as I suspect yours will.   

I've applied the old formula (7h) twice now, most recently this past weekend on my challenger.  I actually got about 90% done (I have 1/2 the hood and the entire front bumper remaining) and I ran out of coating :(

Anyways, with the old formula, I did notice that waiting a little longer, it was tackier and more difficult to remove, the paint after buffing with the towel wasn't exactly smooth, if you remember the video Adam had when the coating was first released, where his fingers didn't really glide over the finish, that is exactly how mine felt.  I waited 24 hours (it was more like 26) and I put the Ceramic Boost on everything that I'd already done the previous day, things seem pretty great so far.  I'm waiting to get another kit (it'll be here Saturday) so that I can finish up the challenger.

As for the applicator pad, the side that I used, it wasn't exactly "hard" but it felt a little stiff, after waiting for a few hours.  I didn't toss it or the towels, as directed, what I ended up doing was rinsing them on their own and they have been designated for doing things inside the house, such as using detail spray on the counters, or glass cleaner on the mirrors etc.  I couldn't bring myself to toss them after one use, not yet at least :)

Much like VetteDream, I applied mine in a garage that was very warm, and low lighting, I'm in Central Florida, and it was in the 90's this past weekend, humidity was up there too, no "high spots" that I've seen so far, I did have the car out in the sun after I applied the ceramic boost.

I did have fantastic results on my dart a little over a month ago and posted it on this forum, it literally blows me away when I wash it, the water drops look like they are literally racing each other to the ground as they fall off of the car.  I'm drinking the ceramic coating koolaid for sure.  

1 hour ago, tlbullet said:

Another cloudy day..of course the only time

in my life i want it to rain it doesnt! Dying to see the rain shoot off!!967F17CF-F46E-447C-A899-4CB7C7F1A3FD.thumb.jpeg.a2101c6f229cde6993dfd6f2da681743.jpeg

Perhaps it did rain and you just can't tell. :lolsmack: Looks great, JR!