Customer Service 866.965.0400

Don't use Wheel Cleaner every wash?

LSX Maestro

Question

Recently I read on a detailing forum that one should avoid using strong wheel cleaners at every wash as they can eventually break down clear coats and other surfaces.  Is this the case? My 2018 ZL1 makes a TON of brake dust which isn't a big deal because I wash it just about weekly/after every drive, but the Wheel Cleaner is a god send, strips the stuff right off with help from the red brush and I reseal them with Hydro2 when I see the beading slowing down.  

Should I use a dilution of CS or other cleaner for most washes and only use Wheel Cleaner when the build up gets bad? 

11 answers to this question

I use the Wheel Cleaner maybe once a month, but my wheels hardly generate brake dust. The Eco Wheel Cleaner is a good alternative for the inbetween washes. But honestly, with proper maintenance, you can simply use Car Shampoo for every time you don't use the Wheel Cleaner. On the flip side I have an extremely hard time believing the Wheel Cleaner will strip clear coat from your wheels, no matter how many times you use it. Strip protection? Absolutely. But clear coat, I don't think so.

Some claim that even quality wheel cleaners like Adam's when used properly will eventually dull the finish over time and damage the clear coats, not necessarily strip it off all of a sudden.  I will try using a dilution of soap + water in a spray bottle for maintenance washes and use Wheel cleaner only at big cleanings.  

I too am against wheel cleaner all the time. At least the new eco one has no iron removers, so that may be a better alternative for more frequently.  I’ve never noticed anything on my wheels necessitating a strong wheel cleaner. This has been validated by my once a year spring cleaning where I will use an iron based wheel cleaner on the wheels and I get little to zero color change indicating iron.  Good old soap and water with Waterless Wash for the touch up jobs in between any full on bucket wash.  

14 hours ago, LSX Maestro said:

...  I will try using a dilution of soap + water in a spray bottle for maintenance washes and use Wheel cleaner only at big cleanings.  

This is what I do for my maintained cars.  I use a foaming sprayer to help i he solution 'stick' to the wheels.  You can also use APC ( full strength or 50/50 with water) - this is what we used before Adam's came out with dedicated wheel cleaners.

7 hours ago, TJM said:

I changed the brake pads on my Corvette to ceramics and now no dust. I did ceramic coat the wheels over the winter to aid in cleaning. 

Yes I'm well aware of this common change but as I discussed with some guys on Camaro6, I'm just not really interested in losing some brake pedal feel and performance for some brake dust.  I wash the car every time after I drive it anyway and whether there be a lot of dust or a little dust the wheels are still getting washed because I'm not going to have clean paint but slightly dirty wheels.  I guess the only real advantage is driving to a car show there won't be as much build up after you wash it.  If it's a long drive to the car meet and there's a lot of braking involved, my wheels almost have a hint of brown/bronze to them by the time I get there.  

My GTO gets washed after every time I drive it too. Ceramic Coat the wheels and wipe them down with WW once they cool. Liberally spray the wheel and use a single towel for each wheel. The pedal feel difference once you switch to ceramic pads is minimal and unless you track the car... Personally I don't believe they're really necessary if you're concerned about brake dust.

In my case on a larger vehicle (TBSS) the ceramic brakes do have a significant loss in braking performance. However, I have continued to run them the last 10 years because of wheel dust. Not like I am running it on a road course anyways ?

I have a gallon of wheel cleaner here but am afraid to use it on a regular basis as everyone else has mentioned.  It basically gets used for paint decon and to wash my tractor :)

I just clay and LPS them on occasion.

1 hour ago, rrmccabe said:

In my case on a larger vehicle (TBSS) the ceramic brakes do have a significant loss in braking performance. However, I have continued to run them the last 10 years because of wheel dust.

Second sentence, am I reading it correctly?

Volvo XC70, it's a tank. I replaced the Ceramic Brake pads and felt no difference, none. Well, except for the time gained by not having to spend extra time cleaning the wheels of excessive brake dust.

Do as you will, just adding from my experience...

I don't know. Are you reading it correctly :)

Let me put it this way. I don't like brake dust so I have ran ceramics for the last 10 years despite the lessened stopping power.  It's an acceptable trade off for me.