Customer Service 866.965.0400

Confused

asaintsfan

Question

So I’ve been using Adams products for a year on my smoking hot 2017 Camaro. It looks great. I’ve used the Americana wax, patriot wax, BG, buttery wax, h2o gg, detail spray and ceramic boost. I constantly use waterless wash between washes.  Car looks awesome I get compliments all the time. So I purchased the ceramic wax kit last week to step up my game but have been hesitant to use it .  I’m waiting on my strip wash and clay kit to come in tomorrow. I’ve never stripped the car since I’ve owned it and my question is to the process of what I should do.

this is what I plan

strip wash with foam gun

iron remover

clay

ceramic wax kit

ceramic boost

Do I bother with BG or buttery in the process? Or add them at the end in which order?  Also, once you put ceramic wax on the car do you still use Americana or patriot wax now and then?

so confused. Any help and guidance would be great. I’ve got a garage full of products and it’s like I want to put everyone of them on the car. 

then what?  Do I still use GG and DS or CB or WW

0ED69527-2CC9-4609-8DCD-2D6CB57543AE.jpeg

23 answers to this question

You have a STUNNING Camaro there!

Don't be afraid of the Strip Wash. It's necessary every once in a while if only to keep from getting too much product build-up on your paint.  Plus it will make the claying process work much better to get any wax and/or sealant off the paint (or at least most of it) first.

Your plan is solid.  There really is no reason to put another wax on top of the Ceramic Wax  but it wouldn't hurt anything if you did.

You can put some BG on anytime to add a little temporary "pop".  You can use any or all of your other products - Rinseless Wash, Waterless Wash, H2O GG, Details Spray, Ceramic Boost - whenever you want. You'll probably get to where you come up with a combination that works best for you.

Don't be afraid to try things!

Edited by Beemer

Below is my most recent to my BLACK 15 1LE Camaro.  It is not my daily driver, so I was able to spread the process over a few days.

1) Strip Wash

2) Iron Remover

3) Clay

4) Correcting Polish

5) One Step Polish (Used as a finishing polish via white pad)

6) Revive Hand Polish - More so to create  suitable surface to apply LSP

7) Liquid Paint Sealant

8) Brilliant Glaze

9) American Wax

DId I mention BLACK was my car color.............. But the results are outstanding.

I usually maintain with Waterless wash and detail spray, as the car is not driven too much.

Hope this helps

51 minutes ago, Boostedlude said:

Below is my most recent to my BLACK 15 1LE Camaro.  It is not my daily driver, so I was able to spread the process over a few days.

1) Strip Wash

2) Iron Remover

3) Clay

4) Correcting Polish

5) One Step Polish (Used as a finishing polish via white pad)

6) Revive Hand Polish - More so to create  suitable surface to apply LSP

7) Liquid Paint Sealant

? Brilliant Glaze

9) American Wax

DId I mention BLACK was my car color.............. But the results are outstanding.

I usually maintain with Waterless wash and detail spray, as the car is not driven too much.

Hope this helps

This is what I'd use with a few substitutions...

After correcting polish, you can use a finishing polish for an enhanced finish (especially on black cars).  The one step polish is a compromise product.  It doesn't polish or seal as well as dedicated products.  One steps are really aimed at people who are detailing for dollars and trying to maximize their time management.  An independent polish and sealant will give better results every time.

Personally, I'd skip the revive.  Once you buff the car off you can do an IPA wipedown or use coating prep to clean the surface.  Quite honestly, if you buff the car off correctly you can skip both for applying sealant.

Once sealant is down, the glaze is a good choice and top it with the wax of your choice.  You don't want to mix buttery wax and ceramic wax.  Choose one or the other.  The ceramic wax is silica based.  Personally on a non coated car, I'd go Americana or Patriot personally.  Buttery has limited durability.  And the silica in the ceramic wax is ideally suited to silica based products.  It will work as a standalone wax...but for my dollars, I'd go with the other two assuming it's not ceramic coated.  If the vehicle does have a ceramic coating on it, it would change this entire process nearly from start to finish.

Sit back and enjoy your ride.

Someone else may chime in but I think I would put down Boost as my base layer and then Ceramic Wax as my top layer.  I personally wouldn't bother with Glaze or Buttery, they are not SIO2 products so they will not bond like Boost and the Ceramic Wax will.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Your prep process looks fine.  Waterless washes will be fine.  Any other sealants and waxes probably wouldn't mess with anything but Ceramics are designed to work with Ceramics.

47 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

This is what I'd use with a few substitutions...

After correcting polish, you can use a finishing polish for an enhanced finish (especially on black cars).  The one step polish is a compromise product.  It doesn't polish or seal as well as dedicated products.  One steps are really aimed at people who are detailing for dollars and trying to maximize their time management.  An independent polish and sealant will give better results every time.

Personally, I'd skip the revive.  Once you buff the car off you can do an IPA wipedown or use coating prep to clean the surface.  Quite honestly, if you buff the car off correctly you can skip both for applying sealant.

Once sealant is down, the glaze is a good choice and top it with the wax of your choice.  You don't want to mix buttery wax and ceramic wax.  Choose one or the other.  The ceramic wax is silica based.  Personally on a non coated car, I'd go Americana or Patriot personally.  Buttery has limited durability.  And the silica in the ceramic wax is ideally suited to silica based products.  It will work as a standalone wax...but for my dollars, I'd go with the other two assuming it's not ceramic coated.  If the vehicle does have a ceramic coating on it, it would change this entire process nearly from start to finish.

Sit back and enjoy your ride.

Noted change for the one step, although the label did say it contained si02.  Also, maybe next time will try coating prep instead of revive.

Thanks for the suggestions

14 minutes ago, Boostedlude said:

Noted change for the one step, although the label did say it contained si02.  Also, maybe next time will try coating prep instead of revive.

Thanks for the suggestions

The one step products generally don't contain the same amounts as standalone products.  When you design a product to perform multiple functions, it's a constant game of balancing the two. 

Another thing to mention is that some of the silica based sprays are harder to work with and get streak free.  It can take more buffing and effort to get the finish you're after.

6 hours ago, asaintsfan said:

So I’ve been using Adams products for a year on my smoking hot 2017 Camaro. It looks great. I’ve used the Americana wax, patriot wax, BG, buttery wax, h2o gg, detail spray and ceramic boost. I constantly use waterless wash between washes.  Car looks awesome I get compliments all the time. So I purchased the ceramic wax kit last week to step up my game but have been hesitant to use it .  I’m waiting on my strip wash and clay kit to come in tomorrow. I’ve never stripped the car since I’ve owned it and my question is to the process of what I should do.

this is what I plan

strip wash with foam gun

iron remover

clay

ceramic wax kit

ceramic boost

Do I bother with BG or buttery in the process? Or add them at the end in which order?  Also, once you put ceramic wax on the car do you still use Americana or patriot wax now and then?

so confused. Any help and guidance would be great. I’ve got a garage full of products and it’s like I want to put everyone of them on the car. 

then what?  Do I still use GG and DS or CB or WW

0ED69527-2CC9-4609-8DCD-2D6CB57543AE.jpeg

You skipped the polish.  You need that before the wax.  And no, I don't add any other wax on top. Why add wax to wax?  

Edited by Rich

Thanks for the great advice people!

forgot about the polish. Good thing I have a bottle of polish I got from one of my many many mystery boxes/buckets!  It’s the one step polish though so I will just go with that.

so.........

strip wash 

iron remover

clay

one step polish

ceramic wax kit

ceramic boost 24 hours later

BG

Looks good. Few more tips...VRT all trim after strip wash, before clay to make removing any residue you WILL get on it much easier at the end. Then touch up as necessary. Remember to remove polsih residue before wax. And consider taping off any sharp emblems to avoid damaging your pads. 

Add an adult beverage or two to the mix (assuming you're of age!), and post some pics when done!

I might also add...that's one BEAUTIFUL ride! ?

Edited by falcaineer

Well - Im disappointed.  Got my Adams Mystery buckets today along with the other items I ordered but the STRIP WASH is on backorder!!! WTF!!  Why don't they tell you that on the website when you order? Oh well - I guess I will have to wait.  May just go shopping for some strip wash.

You can't just do this process and skip the strip wash can you?  Just use the regular Adams car wash?

Thanks for the  VRT tip! and what do you mean remove all the polish?  Is that just done using a MF towel or is there another method?

Im 55 - a couple of adult beverages won't be good for anyone around me! lol

Edited by asaintsfan

10 hours ago, asaintsfan said:

Well - Im disappointed.  Got my Adams Mystery buckets today along with the other items I ordered but the STRIP WASH is on backorder!!! WTF!!  Why don't they tell you that on the website when you order? Oh well - I guess I will have to wait.  May just go shopping for some strip wash.

You can't just do this process and skip the strip wash can you?  Just use the regular Adams car wash?

Thanks for the  VRT tip! and what do you mean remove all the polish?  Is that just done using a MF towel or is there another method?

Im 55 - a couple of adult beverages won't be good for anyone around me! lol

Like @rrmccabe said, you can add a few ounces of Eco APC to your wash bucket with the CS in the absence of SW. It'll do the same thing.

When I say remove polish residue, you can use a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water mix with some blue Waterless Wash towels. Ceramic Prep also works great. It's a way of removing the oils from the polish prior to wax, sealant, etc.

I know many people do it, but I am not a fan of the whole IPA thing.  Why not just use coating prep?  Coating prep is labeled/sold that way because it removes polishing oils, buildup, and anything else from the surface leaving it completely clean for your favorite LSP.  It contains the lubricants your paint needs.  Alcohol does not.  I personally think Adam should relabel it, because this is a great step (and perfect IPA replacement) for inbetween polishing and waxing regardless of what product you're putting on.  It is not specific to coatings or SiO2.

If you're going ceramic wax...1) Prep the surface (clay, polish, coating prep, etc, etc) 2) Ceramic Boost 3) Ceramic Wax 4) Stop.

56 minutes ago, galaxy said:

I know many people do it, but I am not a fan of the whole IPA thing.  Why not just use coating prep?

I do it because its cheap. I just did ceramic and cleaned it with my homebrew IPA (in liberal amounts) first and then did the final using the coating prep. Just gives me a little extra insurance that the panel is oil free. When applying ceramic it seems making sure the panel is clean is more important that using something with lubricating properties.

So that is my reasoning :)

1 hour ago, galaxy said:

I know many people do it, but I am not a fan of the whole IPA thing.  Why not just use coating prep?  Coating prep is labeled/sold that way because it removes polishing oils, buildup, and anything else from the surface leaving it completely clean for your favorite LSP.  It contains the lubricants your paint needs.  Alcohol does not.  I personally think Adam should relabel it, because this is a great step (and perfect IPA replacement) for inbetween polishing and waxing regardless of what product you're putting on.  It is not specific to coatings or SiO2.

If you're going ceramic wax...1) Prep the surface (clay, polish, coating prep, etc, etc) 2) Ceramic Boost 3) Ceramic Wax 4) Stop.

I only have a small bottle of the Prep. Plus, a bottle of IPA is $2.50, the prep several times the cost. I wasn't aware of lubricants in the Prep, but by using a quality MF towel, that lessens most of my fears. To each his or her own, I guess.

2 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

I do it because its cheap. I just did ceramic and cleaned it with my homebrew IPA (in liberal amounts) first and then did the final using the coating prep. Just gives me a little extra insurance that the panel is oil free. When applying ceramic it seems making sure the panel is clean is more important that using something with lubricating properties.

So that is my reasoning :)

Jinx!

First - I want to thank everyone who took time out to answer my questions.  THANKS!!

I coated the car two weeks ago - took my over 6 hours to completely finish.  The only step I did not do was the strip wash at the beginning as my strip wash was backordered.  SO I went to autozone and picked up a Meguire's product to strip.  NOT GOOD.  Anyway, did the whole routine, iron remover,  the clay,  the prep, the polish and finally the ceramic coating.  I was beat by the time the sun went down but I must say I enjoyed it.  I think a polisher is in my future for sure.

So the car looks great from afar but under my garage lights the other day - good gawd - I saw all the scratches on the hood.  That was depressing.  Nonetheless the coating is done and I hit  it  with the ceramic boost the next day and it really looks good - once again from a far.  Already have people saying wow your car is amazing.  So my next question is - now Ive got to wait a few months with this coating before I strip again and coat again?  I really want to get all the scratches out this time with a polisher.  Took some pics after a rainfall.  I hit the car with a waterless wash after the last rain we had and looked good.  Going to hit again with the ceramic boost - how often do you use the CBDS?  Havent GGd it yet but Im thinking of that this weekend.

Just purchased the ceramic paste wax - is this something I should put on now over the ceramic coating?

A few pics below - once again thanks to all who responded.

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

I'm confused so did you ceramic coat it, or use ceramic wax.  I think these are both different products and the steps or area they are used might be different.  If it's like a wax I would say the same steps as using any other wax.  But if you did the whole ceramic kit, that is a whole different ball game. 

There is no need to wait to remove the Ceramic Coating and re-apply.  You can do it right away.  You will, however, need a polisher to mechanically remove the coating since it is now fully cured and can't be simply washed off.  If the hood is the only really noticeable area with scratches,  there's no need to remove the CC from the entire vehicle, though. 

It's not an easy task, but on the upside, in the process of removing the CC, you'll most likely compound out the scratches that bothered you in the first place. ;)

2 hours ago, Mbrazelton said:

I'm confused so did you ceramic coat it, or use ceramic wax.  I think these are both different products and the steps or area they are used might be different.  If it's like a wax I would say the same steps as using any other wax.  But if you did the whole ceramic kit, that is a whole different ball game. 

I did the 9h ceramic kit. 

You have some work ahead of you, and a polisher will be needed, as will pads and polishes/compounds. @shane@detailedreflections has some good insight on this process, so hopefully he will chime in here (don't recall where I read his comments elsewhere on here), too.

I must say, though, it does look great in the pics! And hey, I'm sure you learned some lessons along the way that will make the next time go even better. I also recommend you post any lessons learned from this experience on the Don't Dos of Detailing thread ?.

Edited by falcaineer