Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning headliner

Ekim716

Question

How would you guys recommend cleaning some spots on a light colored cloth headline? I have a bottle of the carpet and upholstery cleaner but no brush? How should I go about that? Maybe just dab with a short nap towel?

Thanks 

5 answers to this question

The first thing is to identify what the spot is and if you are unsure my advice would be don't touch it.  Years ago I did a car that had a mark above the passengers front seat on a light colored headliner.  I knew to be careful, but the second I touched it, it started to spread.  Of course, I wasn't smart enough to stop touching it and quickly had a 1+ inch smear that took over 2 hours to correct.  If I had of asked, I would have found out that it was a Mascara spot the guys wife had accidentally done when she was putting on her makeup and he hit a bump. 

I admit and know that I'm an amateur detailer, but I have talked to enough experts to know that headliners are tricky to begin with and makeup, red fruit juice and grease are some of the hardest things to get out of fabric.  It was a lesson learned that really taught me to ask questions, look, analyze and know your limitations before you touch something.

1 minute ago, RayS said:

The first thing is to identify what the spot is and if you are unsure my advice would be don't touch it.  Years ago I did a car that had a mark above the passengers front seat on a light colored headliner.  I knew to be careful, but the second I touched it, it started to spread.  Of course, I wasn't smart enough to stop touching it and quickly had a 1+ inch smear that took over 2 hours to correct.  If I had of asked, I would have found out that it was a Mascara spot the guys wife had accidentally done when she was putting on her makeup and he hit a bump. 

I admit and know that I'm an amateur detailer, but I have talked to enough experts to know that headliners are tricky to begin with and makeup, red fruit juice and grease are some of the hardest things to get out of fabric.  It was a lesson learned that really taught me to ask questions, look, analyze and know your limitations before you touch something.

:bump: Must've been a big one!  :lolsmack:

Clean soft toothbrush,  spray it with some Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner, and gently brush it on the spot.  Repeat.  Blot with a dry micro after each brushing.   Don't spray the headliner., spray the toothbrush.  And unless your whole hoodliner needs a good cleaning, that should be all you need.  If the clean spots are really obvious, then spray a clean micro with the cleaner and WIPE the hoodliner and repeat  until clean, blot dry.  :2thumbs: