Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Coating gone wrong

bcrawgmc

Question

Hello all,

I recently applied ceramic coat to my buddies vehicle after doing a full paint correction process. The car turned out great but on left half side of the hood, it seems that I let the ceramic coat dry too long before i wiped off and left a hazy look as if I never removed the ceramic coat. Is it possible to get these marks out with another product or can I machine polish off the ceramic and start over to correct the hood? Thanks!

20180619_165820_1529441954590.jpeg

10 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, 2012srt8 said:

try brilliant glaze if that doesnt work try finishing polish on a white pad

Also read to try the coating prep? Wonder if i should try the brilliant glaze first or coating prep

If it’s alresdy cured, glaze may mask it but if won’t remove it. If it did, it would be the easy way to strip coatings odd vehicles. It works on fresh or partially cured coating...a fully cured one and you’re wasting your time in my opinion. 

You can try some finishing polish and see if it levels it out a bit. Then maybe try to reapply. Worst case is you’re polishing it all out. If you do, I’d polish the entire hood starting with compound and redo the entire hood application. 

Great example of what high spots on a coating look like (as an education point for those reading and learning, not as a criticism). 

Be thorough. Change towels frequently. Work in small bites. Don’t take too big of a bite of the apple you scramble and end up with this. With experience you’ll know how much you can cover for given conditions. 

I have started to coat 2 panels at a time then backing the vehicle out of the garage to check for high spots in the sun. I caught a lot of high spots this way on the most recent black Ram 1500 truck that I coated. 

I also have tried to put less coating on the applicator and work in smaller areas. I used 4-5 towels to remove the coating residue on the truck.

Two panels at a time is a huge bite at once and gives you zero time for slacking. Most coatings recommend a 2’ x 2’ section at a time. We will go a little bigger than that, but not much. Moving a vehicle in and out to check for high spots would be time consuming. Work in smaller sections. Buff thoroughly. We use a suede buffing towel that we throw out when we are done, and then we do a final buff with a microfiber of each section. 

When working with coatings, less can be more. I can’t imagine trying to do two panels at a time solo and ensure it’s right. 

42 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Two panels at a time is a huge bite at once and gives you zero time for slacking. Most coatings recommend a 2’ x 2’ section at a time. We will go a little bigger than that, but not much. Moving a vehicle in and out to check for high spots would be time consuming. Work in smaller sections. Buff thoroughly. We use a suede buffing towel that we throw out when we are done, and then we do a final buff with a microfiber of each section. 

When working with coatings, less can be more. I can’t imagine trying to do two panels at a time solo and ensure it’s right. 

Let me clarify I did apply the coating to a 2x2 section at a time, wait, and then wipe off. Then after fully completing 2 panels I backed the truck out and rechecked for high spots.

Backing the truck out did add time to the job but after letting the coating cure for 24 hours I did not have any areas that needed to be redone. 

Edited by Thorsager

5 hours ago, John DiPonziono said:

Can ceramic coating make a light grey metallic paint appear 1-2 shades darker?

A coating generally doesn’t change the shade of the color unless it’s a matte finish. Matte finishes tend to darken a bit and become slightly more glossy. Gloss paint just tends to stay glossy.