Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirl Killer Beginner Tips

vtaki801

Question

Haven't posted in a while, but when I have bought a new to me 2016 WRX in March this year. Unfortunately the previous owner did now take great care of the paint, and used an auto touch washer from my best guess. I just purchased the Swirl Killer 15MM 3 Step kit, and thought I can start offering some paint correction on the side with my little detailing business. If anyone has any tips for me on using it, that would be great. I've watched Adam's video where he is working on the black Ferrari multiple times, so I understand the basics, but hoping someone has some good tips for just starting out.Any help would be great. Thank you.

5 answers to this question

Lots more videos, including using a machine polisher, can be found here.

https://adamspolishes.com/video

Bottom line advice: work least to most aggressive with the pads and polishes, start in a 2'x2' section to see what it will take for the majority of the rest of the car, work slowly in a cross hatch pattern, and have fun!

Strip wash and clay first

no need to wipe previous polish before moving to the next,  unless needed to see where you are.  But it would just be considered an extra step.

Keep the pad flat at all times (unlike a rotary)

Change pads after a few panels, or at least brush it out and allow to cool,  the softer the pad gets and the warmer it gets, the less correcting it is doing.

19 hours ago, vtaki801 said:

Haven't posted in a while, but when I have bought a new to me 2016 WRX in March this year. Unfortunately the previous owner did now take great care of the paint, and used an auto touch washer from my best guess. I just purchased the Swirl Killer 15MM 3 Step kit, and thought I can start offering some paint correction on the side with my little detailing business. If anyone has any tips for me on using it, that would be great. I've watched Adam's video where he is working on the black Ferrari multiple times, so I understand the basics, but hoping someone has some good tips for just starting out.Any help would be great. Thank you.

Please take the suggestions I’m about to make with nothing but respect. Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get into it a bit. 

In one post you mention looking for tips on using your swirl killer and also adding paint correction in addition to your detailing services. This is a big red flag to me. Before you even think of offering paint correction to your clients, you need to build some experience with that new polisher of yours.

Having one polisher is great...to really offer it as a service on a variety of vehicles you should plan on investing in more polishers and lads. We have a total of five polishers (one has carpet brushes on it). So four of them that we use quite frequently. You could eliminate maybe one and be okay, but you really need the three to offer a complete service. We don’t use them on every vehicle. But you need the option when you need it. 

You need some experience to know what you can and can’t accomplish (setting client expectations is an important part of business relationships). Not everything needs three steps, or even two steps. Some do. Some require wetsanding. You can find yourself in over your head quickly. 

I’ve made this sentiment before...for us to touch your vehicle with a polisher for anything more than a light polish, you’ll find our paint thickness gauge in use. We want to know how aggressive we can (or more importantly can’t) be. The gauge is the way. Strike through someone’s clear coat using a polish too aggressive or bad technique...and all of a sudden you owe someone a paint job on your dime. 

True paint correction is an hourly charge. Polishing is a variable fixed charge. Know the difference between the two, but also understand the risks of both. 

My suggestion is to read the forums. Ask questions. Practice with that polisher. Invest in more equipment that you feel you need. Then, and only then do you offer the service to clients. You will make mistakes. Some minor. Some maybe a bit more major. 

If you’re interested in the adventures in starting and growing a business, feel free to read my posts. I’m pretty open and have chronicled the adventure with posts here. I’ve been fortunate to do some work for forum members here, even putting on a clinic. There’s more that goes on than owning a polisher. 

Please don’t take anything I said as other than respectful feedback. I’ve been lucky to get feedback from members here that’s been rather candid and it’s helped shape our business and the way we do things. Hopefully you take advantage of the same opportunity. 

If you have questions, ask. Myself and others are happy to answer. 

12 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Please take the suggestions I’m about to make with nothing but respect. Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get into it a bit. 

In one post you mention looking for tips on using your swirl killer and also adding paint correction in addition to your detailing services. This is a big red flag to me. Before you even think of offering paint correction to your clients, you need to build some experience with that new polisher of yours.

Having one polisher is great...to really offer it as a service on a variety of vehicles you should plan on investing in more polishers and lads. We have a total of five polishers (one has carpet brushes on it). So four of them that we use quite frequently. You could eliminate maybe one and be okay, but you really need the three to offer a complete service. We don’t use them on every vehicle. But you need the option when you need it. 

You need some experience to know what you can and can’t accomplish (setting client expectations is an important part of business relationships). Not everything needs three steps, or even two steps. Some do. Some require wetsanding. You can find yourself in over your head quickly. 

I’ve made this sentiment before...for us to touch your vehicle with a polisher for anything more than a light polish, you’ll find our paint thickness gauge in use. We want to know how aggressive we can (or more importantly can’t) be. The gauge is the way. Strike through someone’s clear coat using a polish too aggressive or bad technique...and all of a sudden you owe someone a paint job on your dime. 

True paint correction is an hourly charge. Polishing is a variable fixed charge. Know the difference between the two, but also understand the risks of both. 

My suggestion is to read the forums. Ask questions. Practice with that polisher. Invest in more equipment that you feel you need. Then, and only then do you offer the service to clients. You will make mistakes. Some minor. Some maybe a bit more major. 

If you’re interested in the adventures in starting and growing a business, feel free to read my posts. I’m pretty open and have chronicled the adventure with posts here. I’ve been fortunate to do some work for forum members here, even putting on a clinic. There’s more that goes on than owning a polisher. 

Please don’t take anything I said as other than respectful feedback. I’ve been lucky to get feedback from members here that’s been rather candid and it’s helped shape our business and the way we do things. Hopefully you take advantage of the same opportunity. 

If you have questions, ask. Myself and others are happy to answer. 

I appreciate it, and nothing but respect for sure. I love getting good feedback / advice like this. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous to do my own car. I for sure want a ton of experience doing my own car before I even consider doing others, and I called Adam's to ask what they'd recommend for doing my own car, and they said the 15MM was good for starting out. I appreciate the reply.

The 15 is a great “do all” polisher. But when it comes to client expectations you need all of the right tools for the job. You’re a good amount of time with your polisher away from considering offering it to clients in my opinion. You can get yourself in trouble with a polisher. Any time we introduce new services, I offer them at a significant discount to select clients (those I can manage expectations and know I can work with on problems that are bound to arise without destroying our reputation). It’s not impossible to add it to your services, but before you do so get adequate experience. 

Good luck.