Customer Service 866.965.0400

Gear Shifter Protection

joelilton23

Question

Hey all,

I know this is a bit of a random question, but I was wondering if anyone has used paint/trim coating on a gear shift selector? I have just ordered a chrome ball knob and an extender that are covered in a chrome plating of some sort, and would like to keep them protected against tarnishing/weathering from being used all the time. The products have been discontinued, so it will be impossible for me to simply purchase again if it does wear out.

I have attached pictures from the manufacturers website to show what I am talking about, and am open to ideas if coating is not the best way to go about looking after them. Thanks!

likewise 2.png

likewise1.png

3 answers to this question

That doesn't look like chrome at all, but rather a clear metallic powder coat - but the vendor's stock photograph(that might even be a computer generated image) makes it hard to tell.  If you don't have this product in your hands yet, you can ask the manufacturer what it is made of and if it is chromed, powder coated or painted.  Paint is unlikely.

So, first off the shifter itself really shouldn't need protection unless you are planning on putting your hand on it when you shift.  ?

As far as the shifter handle goes, chrome (if that's what it truly is) is very resistant to tarnishing and all you should need to do is polish it from time to time to make it pretty.  You can even put wax or paint sealer on it if you like, but it's really not necessary - just be sure you don't leave a slick surface.

If it is powder coated, probably the best thing you could do is have an additional clear-coat powder coat put on top of it.  Or it may already have that from the manufacturer. 

Probably the best advice is - make sure your hands are clean when you drive.  That should be the case regardless, though.  The oils in your skin can do bad things to interiors.

Edited by RacerX

1 hour ago, RacerX said:

That doesn't look like chrome at all, but rather a clear metallic powder coat - but the vendor's stock photograph(that might even be a computer generated image) makes it hard to tell.  If you don't have this product in your hands yet, you can ask the manufacturer what it is made of and if it is chromed, powder coated or painted.  Paint is unlikely.

So, first off the shifter itself really shouldn't need protection unless you are planning on putting your hand on it when you shift.  ?

As far as the shifter handle goes, chrome (if that's what it truly is) is very resistant to tarnishing and all you should need to do is polish it from time to time to make it pretty.  You can even put wax or paint sealer on it if you like, but it's really not necessary - just be sure you don't leave a slick surface.

If it is powder coated, probably the best thing you could do is have an additional clear-coat powder coat put on top of it.  Or it may already have that from the manufacturer. 

Probably the best advice is - make sure your hands are clean when you drive.  That should be the case regardless, though.  The oils in your skin can do bad things to interiors.

They are due to arrive today, so I might give them a quick hit of h2o G&G - from the questions I asked, they have said it is powder coated. Can you polish powder coat the same as normal paint?