Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best towels for specific products?

MikeSoFlo

Question

Which is the best towel to use for:

1. Hand polishing, wiping off polish (like One Step Polish or Revive Hand Polish) - Single soft Microfiber? Double soft Microfiber? Borderless Microfiber?

2. Wax, wiping off wax (like Ceramic Paste Wax or Americana) - Single soft Microfiber? Double soft Microfiber? Borderless Microfiber?

Thanks in advance! 

18 answers to this question

You'll get a bunch of different opinions here.  For what it's worth, my #1 go to for all of the above is the Borderless Grey / Orange / Blue (new) Microfiber.  It is an all-around general use towel that's soft enough to prevent marks on all but the most delicate paints.

P.S.  For all the younger members ...........  # is a number sign, not a hash brown. :lol:

Im with both of these guys, these are my go to towels when im doing most anything. Is a tripple soft really awesome, yeah, and I do use them, but 9 out of 10 times my quick grab and go towel is the borderless grey. 

Check out the stack! 24 of them for $115 BEFORE DIScOUNTS! 

https://adamspolishes.com/the-stack-adam-s-borderless-gray-towel-24-pack.html

I have a bunch of grey ones and now have some blue incoming with the 4th of July stuff. I also have a bunch of Single and a few Double soft which is why I'm asking ... too many towels to choose from.

I have bins of all of them, they do all have their use, but early on, you find that go to towel, at first it was a single soft for me, and then I found the joy of the borderless towels. As I said I still use them all just not all the time. 

The fluffier towels are nice for quick detail spray downs but could actually make removing wax and polish harder. Borderless grays are soft enough for most use while being tough enough to “grab” wax and polish residue. 

13 hours ago, BHarris23 said:

The fluffier towels are nice for quick detail spray downs but could actually make removing wax and polish harder. Borderless grays are soft enough for most use while being tough enough to “grab” wax and polish residue. 

That makes sense ... I can see the double soft not being as easy to remove paste wax. 

Usually the higher in GSM you get on towels, the harder they are to use in my opinion. I like a towel that can be used for multiple things. Keeps down on having to buy multiple different towels and clutter. 

I have no issues using triple softs to remove wax, have used them several times to remove patriot or buttery with no issue, they do great on detail spray as well. I dont personally think that Adams would recommend them for wax removal 

Direct copy from the Double Soft page (Seeing as the triple soft has apparently gotten up and run away) 

• Twice the Thickness of Adam's Single Soft Microfiber Towel
  • 920 GSM
  • Approx. 16" x 16"
  • Buff Away Polishes & Car Wax with Ease
  • Swirl Free Results you can Expect from Adam's

I have been replacing my various vendor towels with Adam's over the last couple of months.  I had what I thought were good to great towels and now I realize that my old "great" towels quality as good at best.  I'm still using the old towels for some of the jobs, such as exhaust tip cleaning, engine areas, but that's it.  The Gray's are becoming my favorite and I just received my July 4th order with the 24 stack, along with bug towels, glass towels a few more single and double soft's.  I have a feeling that grabbing some towels with every order will a habit until I've replaced all the old ones. 

I have used the single soft and gray with the Buttery Wax and both work great.  I noticed two things, I can do the entire Malibu with one Single soft, but it takes two gray's.  The flip side is that the gray is easier to get clean after usage.  Maybe if I used two single softs it would come out the same, but why when they gray are priced right and work great.

I haven't tried the double soft with removing wax yet, but I sure do like them when I'm using detail spray.

3 hours ago, RayS said:

I have been replacing my various vendor towels with Adam's over the last couple of months.  I had what I thought were good to great towels and now I realize that my old "great" towels quality as good at best.  I'm still using the old towels for some of the jobs, such as exhaust tip cleaning, engine areas, but that's it.  The Gray's are becoming my favorite and I just received my July 4th order with the 24 stack, along with bug towels, glass towels a few more single and double soft's.  I have a feeling that grabbing some towels with every order will a habit until I've replaced all the old ones. 

I have used the single soft and gray with the Buttery Wax and both work great.  I noticed two things, I can do the entire Malibu with one Single soft, but it takes two gray's.  The flip side is that the gray is easier to get clean after usage.  Maybe if I used two single softs it would come out the same, but why when they gray are priced right and work great.

I haven't tried the double soft with removing wax yet, but I sure do like them when I'm using detail spray.

What process/product are you using to clean them? They can be cleaned the same way and get equally clean by using the MRB and the tips outlined here:

To clean the towels, I start with a hot rinse immediately after use.  I have found that breaks up most wax like materials and draws out any oils.  Then they go through the wash with liquid, non-perfumed detergent and Microfiber Revitalizer.  I never use bleach and the white microfiber towels will sometimes show marks that I do not see on the grays.  It may be the color difference or it could be the GSM of the towel.  It could also be that I'm able to do the entire car with one single soft, so there is just that much more material to be removed from the towel in a cleaning.  There are plenty of variables that could be involved, but I can state without a doubt that they are wonderful towels and I wouldn't hesitate to use either for taking the wax off the car.

I also keep my towels separated by usage.  Towels for DS are not use for Wax removal or HGG, each of them have their own bin of towels.  Once towels start to get worn then they move down the line to tires, wheels, exhaust, etc.. For now I have a fair amount of old towels for that use, but that is how I have rotated my stock in a effort to prevent cross contamination.

As always, any suggestions or recommendations based on the Adam's towels and chemicals is much appreciated.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:48 AM, RayS said:

To clean the towels, I start with a hot rinse immediately after use.

Just be careful with a hot rinse. A small amount of time may not do any harm but microfiber is made up of significant amounts of polyester which is a form of plastic, and plastic does not react well to heat and that can break down the fibers and lead to them not being as effective. try a pre-treat of the Revitalizer and cold water instead maybe?

As a general rule, waffle weave is for wet products, plush is for dry. Exceptions for Rinsless Wash (single soft) and detail spray. 

Boiling towels is still recommended for removing built up waxes, etc. I doubt a washer would get hot enough to do damage. I soak mine overnight in APC prior to washing. 

On 7/3/2018 at 4:28 PM, MikeSoFlo said:

Which is the best towel to use for:

1. Hand polishing, wiping off polish (like One Step Polish or Revive Hand Polish) - Single soft Microfiber? Double soft Microfiber? Borderless Microfiber?

2. Wax, wiping off wax (like Ceramic Paste Wax or Americana) - Single soft Microfiber? Double soft Microfiber? Borderless Microfiber?

Thanks in advance! 

For wiping off single soft is my go to for just about everything exterior. I love that towel. For stuff like G&G I use grey edgeless towels for the first and second wipe. 

I know you didn't ask but for drying spend the extra money and get the ultra plush drying towel. It works like magic. The great white is also good but I find the ultra plush cuts my drying time almost in half. 

Edited by wnyshine
Spelling

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

Brand New video on the differences between the towels.

Very informative video, thanks for posting the link.  I have all the towels in the segment, except the drying towel and that is in my wish list.  I add a couple of towels into every order as I'm trying to replace all the various vendor towels.  Of course, I took advantage of the 24 stack borderless grays when they were on sale.   The one thing missing from the video, is the microfiber blanket.  My oldest absolutely wants one and when/if they come back, she will get one.  No, she is not spoiled - she is just developing an addiction and I'm trying to help cope with it.  She is the daughter that helps me with the vehicles.

4 hours ago, RayS said:

Very informative video, thanks for posting the link.  I have all the towels in the segment, except the drying towel and that is in my wish list.  I add a couple of towels into every order as I'm trying to replace all the various vendor towels.  Of course, I took advantage of the 24 stack borderless grays when they were on sale.   The one thing missing from the video, is the microfiber blanket.  My oldest absolutely wants one and when/if they come back, she will get one.  No, she is not spoiled - she is just developing an addiction and I'm trying to help cope with it.  She is the daughter that helps me with the vehicles.

Get the Ultra Plush Drying Towel and don't look back. :2thumbs: