Customer Service 866.965.0400

Interior detailer leaving streaks all over dash?

desert_josh

Question

Just detailed a 2017 Malibu, black interior. Wiped down the lightly dusty dash with the interior detailer, looked great but when I pulled out of the garage into direct sunlight  it was covered in streaks. Tried wiping down again with a MF towel and no dice, ended up having to use another product to get rid of them..

Never had an issue with the product, any ideas?..

17 answers to this question

My wife's Malibu is a few years older, but I have not had any problems with the interior detailer on it or any of my vehicles.  I do keep it in a climate controlled room and make sure I shake it before use.  

Edited by RayS

Maybe there was another protectant or build up on the dash prior to your application of Interior Detailer. Similar to detailing an exterior surface, you want to clean the surface prior to dressing (paint, tires, trim etc) when necessary. Otherwise, the dressing may not level and apply evenly. Might be worth trying the leather and interior cleaner first on a dash or surface you are not sure about. I do that on most of the cars I detail as a standard.

I had the same issue with my Corvette.  I bought some interior detailer at eh Barrett Jackson show at Mohegan sun.  I tried it for the first time last weekend.  It left bad white streaks.  I cleaned the dash, then used leather conditioner.  

I may try it on my truck or GF's Jeep, but don't really like doing anything twice, so...……….

There's a real simple answer to this question. The problem isn't the product. The problem is that different parts of your dash are dryer than others and absorb product more than the less dry spots. Hence, streaks.  The answer is to reapply product until you get an even distribution and no streaks. The same problem happens with Leather Conditioner too (which is the only thing I use on my dashes).  Once you get your dash evened out, you shouldn't have any more problem. 

Never had this problem with the product. Is the applicator you're using clean and free of other product? That's the only thing I can think that would cause streaking. TH einterior detailer is generally a streak free product and does not require any additional buffing.

Again, like Rich said. If it wasn’t chalky before you used the product, then you’ve wiped away all the oil, grease, and dirt built up. You need to add leather conditioner to the dash and panels to rejuvenate them. If you don’t, it will become more susceptible to damage later. 

45 minutes ago, BHarris23 said:

Again, like Rich said. If it wasn’t chalky before you used the product, then you’ve wiped away all the oil, grease, and dirt built up. You need to add leather conditioner to the dash and panels to rejuvenate them. If you don’t, it will become more susceptible to damage later. 

That's one reason I like these forums. Good info all the time, especially for a new Adams user like myself. Definitely gonna hit again tomorrow with the LC

i actually have this same problem on a small spot on my door panel after using interior detailer. no issues previous to applying ID then after i noticed it i dressed it with LC . . had no luck . . so i gave it some scrubs after soaking it with LIC and then more LC but the problem persists. Almost like a chalky residue left after I applied the ID that can’t be easily removed. i’ve hit it with other cleaners and a brush to no avail  . . hate to say it but starting to think that some of adams products aren’t as user friendly as they suggest :(

6 hours ago, ColoradoSHObro said:

here’s a pic of the spot mentioned . . albeit small but not a problem that surfaced til after application of the ID

pqHOc7W.jpg

I don’t think it’s a problem with the product. It could be you didn’t apply enough LC. If it’s chalky white, it’s probably dried out and so you need to apply multiple applications of LC

Whatever you do, don’t keep scrubbing or hitting it with more “cleaners.” If you do that, you’ll probably harm the panel beyond repair. 

I have never seen interior detailer do anything like that. I think you need to use diluted interior cleaner first.

I have some inconsistent gloss issues which annoyed me but have always been resolved either by full cleaning first and/or  multiple coats of interior detailer so everything soaks in completely because as mentioned above things have different porosity.

I do like the latest version of interior detailer much more than the older TID formulas.

My guess would be that the white chaulky spot it left over residue from body lotion or just sweat from leanig on that spot. ...And that the LC or LIC just didnt reach down into the crevasses and remove the residue.  Try using cockpit brush with LiC first then LC

33 minutes ago, tlbullet said:

My guess would be that the white chaulky spot it left over residue from body lotion or just sweat from leanig on that spot. ...And that the LC or LIC just didnt reach down into the crevasses and remove the residue.  Try using cockpit brush with LiC first then LC

i’ve done all that’s been advised in the last few posts. let LIC soak for a minute, scrub with cockpit brush, and apply multiple layers of LC over the past month or so. it’s improved slightly over the way it looks in the pic. can’t help but think the LC is just masking it a little though. 

also,not saying it’s a problem with the ID product in general but a byproduct of using it. at least revealed after first application of ID and apparently it’s a spot the LIC won’t clean which is surprising to me. LIC has taken out some pretty nasty stains for me in the recent past.