Customer Service 866.965.0400

New truck paint correction,then what?

Driftergtr

Question

So i just bought a new f150. She is washed up and detailed. I haven't  put any wax on her yet because i am planning to complete a one step correction  this weekend.  My question is then what?  I could wax her or i could put on a ceramic coating.  And i suppose some hybrid of the two is also possible.   What's the consensus from you all. I'm planning to keep it for a long time. 

10 answers to this question

I think that answer comes out of what you want. I am a big fan of wax and detail time, however if your time is really limited and spending an hour here and there on the truck is not therapy to you a Ceramic coat may be a better option. If you find that spending time cleaning the truck and being involved in it then wax or sealants may be a better option. If cost is your main driver then certainly Ceramic is on the high end, where while wax and other things may look a bit pricey will last you quite a while. 

Me personally I really like the time with the vehicle so I use paint sealant and either wax or H2O Guard and Gloss depending on the time of year (Wax in the warm months H2O in the winter when I can get temps to cooperate). 

In the end what are your goals and budget, that makes helping determine what your looking for a bit easier. 

I agree with @pirahnah3. It sounds like you need to define some goals more in order for us to best guide you. 

Our new car prep is usually a complete decontamination of the vehicle followed by a light finishing polish. 

The last step products depends on the client’s goals and budget. Define some parameters and we can offer more insight. 

The truck is lightening blue, so i want the deepest, and glossiest finish possible.  I wouldn't say that i find detailing meditative,  but i enjoy spending time getting out the imperfections as well as having a clean vehicle afterwards.  Its not uncommon for me to spend the day working on my cars.  I am wondering about the ceramic just as a base coat, then from there bringing up the brilliance with wax.  I looked at the polish angel line just to try something different. But, I know nothing about the product line besides the reputation. Which is good. 

You sound like a candidate for a coating. Right up until you said building up the gloss with a wax. If you coat your truck, you’re helping to negate the need for a wax. You could do it, but other than therapeutic value it’s not needed.

Wash. Dry. Boost occasionally. 

Ceramics will offer durability, gloss and ease of maintenance. But prep is everything. Do it right. Don’t cut corners. 

On my 2016 Silverado which I bought new that now has 45k miles on the ODO I have done the following:

I didn't polish it at all the first year or so of ownership, I was just super busy and honestly it barely needed it because I washed it properly and it's not like I'm trying to win car shows with it.

I just kept up a proper wash routine to avoid marring the paint too much and did H20 Guard & Gloss / kept up on the clay baring..

In hindsight I wish I had polished it up front, really made the dark gray paint pop....

After about 18 months of ownership I did do a full two step polish (mainly used the finishing polish because I didn't need a ton of correction, just a few spots)

At that point I put a good coat of Liquid Paint Sealant on the truck and since then I've been slacking off and haven't done anything but claybar and H20 GnG. My truck still looks better than 90% of the vehicles I see on the road but, it's due for some polishing again now that it's been a year since the last time I did it... If it's your first time around I'd suggest doing each step on one panel start to finish, detailing that big ole truck can be a bear....

Also be careful not to drop your tool box or polisher in the bed, I hear ford uses that Aluminum foil in the beds these days ? sorry just busting your chops ?

There seems to be multiple of us in the dilemma of what to do with our vehicles between therapy and ceramic.  I have multiple vehicles for therapy and since it looks like my wife wants a new Blazer when they are released, I have pretty much made a decision.  I'm leaning toward maintaining all the current vehicles, including my truck with less than 6k miles on it as non-ceramic.  Then if the wife does decide on the blazer, having one of the professional detailers on the forum do the ceramic. 

It isn't that I don't think I can do ceramic, I'm pretty sure I can.  What I have no doubt about, is that I can maintain ceramic that has been applied by a professional and it will look outstanding.  It really comes down to the comfort level of each individual and what they want to tackle and maintain.

By no means should my plan be construed as a belief that amateurs cannot or should apply ceramic.  I have saw way too many that have been done by non-professionals that were beautiful, it is up to the individual, their comfort level and time available to do it.

I also think it matter how much time you want to spend cleaning it weekly.  If you seal it at some point you will have to put some work in to re-seal it in about 6-8 months, I personal like this because usually by that time the truck needs a good simple polish and sealant. Usually right after winter and about right before winter is when I do mine.  If you ceramic coat it, you spend more time up front, but the protection last longer.  I think a good sealant regime, is just as good as Ceramic Coating.  There is about 10 different way to do it, just which one works good for you, same with steps.  My wife has a pearl white car, and the steps I use on hers is different then my gun metal truck.  Also if you want to Coat it, now would be the time because the truck has less imperfections.