Customer Service 866.965.0400

Single stage detailing questions

cwp2016nd

Question

Hey guys. 

I have a 1980 Ford Fairmont I’m going to detail next weekend. I’m 99% sure it’s a single stage paint job. 

I know polishing it will be similar besides paint residue clogging my pads....

My two concerns are do i clay and iron decontaminate is if it were clear coated? 

Thanks 

13 answers to this question

1 hour ago, mc2hill said:

Sounds like you will need lots of pads!  

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm thinking I might go out there this Saturday to do a test section so I know what pad/polish I will be using. I have 6 of each foam pad but I know it will take more than that. Once I know what pad I will be using I'm going to order more so I can just rotate them out as they get clogged. 

I plan on blowing them out after each section pass, but they still get clogged with paint residue. First I will try finishing polish on a white pad, but I'm thinking an orange pad with correcting polish will get me to where I need to be. We shall see! 

4 hours ago, mc2hill said:

Sounds like you will need lots of pads!  

1 hour ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Lots of pads. Lots of towels. Buy as many as you can. And way more than you think you’ll need!

Good luck and take pics!

So question based in ignorance...are "lots of pads" needed because they will become clogged with...what? Paint? Polish? All the above? Something else? Never done a single stage and only seen a brief demo.

Single stages will clog a bit more since you’re actually taking paint off. 

But also as a general rule you want more pads than you think you’ll need. Some cars surprise you and chew through pads like crazy. Nothing worse than trying to stretch the life of a pad or not having enough. 

Same rules apply to towels. 

4 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

So question based in ignorance...are "lots of pads" needed because they will become clogged with...what? Paint? Polish? All the above? Something else? Never done a single stage and only seen a brief demo.

On a single stage finish you are actually removing the 'dead' paint, and that will clog up the pads.  Ian's plan to using air to blow them out should help extend the 'working life' of each pad.  

1 hour ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Lots of pads. Lots of towels. Buy as many as you can. And way more than you think you’ll need!

Good luck and take pics!

I do hate that the 6.5" pads are $14.99 a piece, but they're on sale so I will definitely grab a bunch! 

Compressed air only helps so much but should hopefully extend the "working time" at least two sections. Its all testing so we'll see how it turns out. 

Thanks for the input. I have two crates full of towels also, so I'll be plenty good on that....

Shane, after a single stage correction do you just wash your pads and towels how you normally do? Or are they going to be permanently stained from the paint? 

3 minutes ago, cwp2016nd said:

Shane, after a single stage correction do you just wash your pads and towels how you normally do? Or are they going to be permanently stained from the paint? 

Permanently stained, but with a good cleaning (APC, T&RC, or MFB&R), they should still be usable, just not pretty!

11 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

Permanently stained, but with a good cleaning (APC, T&RC, or MFB&R), they should still be usable, just not pretty!

I thought the dye stains were permanent, but as long as they're usable I'm fine with that! 

Thanks

26 minutes ago, joelilton23 said:

Make sure to use a bit more product than you usually would too, to help lubricate the oxidized paint away. Good luck! Single stage before and afters are always amazing, so be sure to post pictures!

I would lubricante with detail spray instead of more polish. More polish mixing with the paint will simply clog your pads quicker. Detail spray just provides the lube. And really, once the pad is saturated, you’re good to go.