Customer Service 866.965.0400

What PSI pressure washer are you using?

MikeSoFlo

Question

For those of you using pressure washers, what is the optimum PSI? Pressure washers range from like 1600 PSI to over 4000 PSI ... what is a good pressure to run that will help cut heavy wheel dust and road grime but won't strip the paint. 

4 answers to this question

I use a 2200 psi Greenworks electric pressure washer from Lowes.  It works well with my foam cannon and has adequate power to clean away brake dust from the wheels and grime from the paint.  The bigger spec to look for in a pressure washer is the flow rate rather than the psi.  The highest psi rating of any pressure washer is achieved with the narrow angle tip.  You'll want to use a wide angle tip to fan out the spray to avoid damaging your paint.  Typically a 15 degree or 25 degree tip is what you'll use most often on a vehicle. The flow rate  of a pressure washer will determine how well it will perform when connected to a foam cannon; i.e. how much foam it will produce.  Adam's recommends a minimum flow rate of 1.3 GPM and a minimum of 870 psi to operate their foam cannon.  

4 hours ago, BrianT said:

I think you're better off focusing on what the highest quality you can afford.

I could afford a $1000 pressure washer but why if I can accomplish the same things with a $200 one. 

I could get one that's 2100 PSI, 2 GPM, 3 HP for $200 ... why do I need to spend more? 

4 hours ago, MikeSoFlo said:

I could afford a $1000 pressure washer but why if I can accomplish the same things with a $200 one. 

I could get one that's 2100 PSI, 2 GPM, 3 HP for $200 ... why do I need to spend more? 

Highest quality doesn't always mean most expensive nor does most expensive mean it is higher quality.  The Greenworks 2200 PSI is a very good pressure washer for about $200 if you are looking for an electric and there are others in the same cost/quality range. If you want Gas, then you are in a whole different price range and quality comparison.  The key is not going to the local super discount tool warehouse and buying the cheapest (quality and/or price) item they have in stock.