Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Bar for glass? (and painted wheels)

Bryman312

Question

hello guys, quick question.  i have HARD WATER from our sprinklers.  VERY hard water.  anyway my paint is spotted to hell. it'll need a full decontamination.  i wash it often to get that crap off fast but its too late.  my main question is can you use clay bar on the windows?  all the hard water is on my passenger side so i only have 3 windows to do. and 2 wheels. 

if i can clay the glass, do i need to seal it afterwards?  i already have some adams glass sealant from my last MB.  or do you need to use something else?

thanks for your input!!

14 answers to this question

Yes you can. And sealant isn't necessary after, but certainly will help. Clay the windshield and other windowz while you're at it!

You might also consider Revive to remove spots on your wheels, then seal them with PS, HGG or similar. Maybe even wheel coating. 

Edited by falcaineer

2 hours ago, Bryman312 said:

i think ill try clay first.  honestly ive never clayed anything before so this will be a good learning experience.  after they claying, as stated above  paint sealant?

PS will work. So will HGG. But neither will stand up to the heat from the wheels and brakes like Wheel Coating. 

4 hours ago, Bryman312 said:

i think ill try clay first.  honestly ive never clayed anything before so this will be a good learning experience.  after they claying, as stated above  paint sealant?

If you decide to clay the wheels, make sure you don’t use the same clay on the paint as the clay on the wheels. 

If clay doesn’t get the water spots off, try hand polishing either using revive or another polish. 

1 hour ago, Bryman312 said:

revive instead of clay on the wheels?  its pretty bad i can feel the grit of the hard water in some spots where it sat instead of ran off.........

I meant more for water spots. If you feel grit, that's outside my realm of knowledge. Will have to defer to others...sorry.

11 hours ago, falcaineer said:

I meant more for water spots. If you feel grit, that's outside my realm of knowledge. Will have to defer to others...sorry.

technically grit as in spots where the hard water sat for a few days and calcified? that's the best word i can think of.

heres a pic of the wheel........

IMG_20180714_102824.jpg

Edited by Bryman312

Try a clay bar on the wheels. If the spots are from a recent incident it should pull them off. BUT, once you clay your wheels keep that clay bar for wheels ONLY. It will pick up all sorts of metallic contaminants from the brakes and you don’t want to rub that all over your paint. 

Just now, cwp2016nd said:

Try a clay bar on the wheels. If the spots are from a recent incident it should pull them off. BUT, once you clay your wheels keep that clay bar for wheels ONLY. It will pick up all sorts of metallic contaminants from the brakes and you don’t want to rub that all over your paint. 

thats what i was thinking too!!  clay isint soo expensive that i cant have 2 anyway if needed.  figure maybe ill do windows first them wheels... and keep it just for wheels after.

i fear the hard part will be the lug holes!!  not looking forward to those.

2 minutes ago, Bryman312 said:

thats what i was thinking too!!  clay isint soo expensive that i cant have 2 anyway if needed.  figure maybe ill do windows first them wheels... and keep it just for wheels after.

i fear the hard part will be the lug holes!!  not looking forward to those.

For the lug holes, try some vinegar mixed with distilled water. Put some in a small container, dip a trim & lug but brush into the mixture and act as if you’re cleaning them normally. Rinse thoroughly with distilled water and you should be good to go. If it doesn’t come out with that you may have to take them off and clay/polish them by hand. 

1 minute ago, cwp2016nd said:

For the lug holes, try some vinegar mixed with distilled water. Put some in a small container, dip a trim & lug but brush into the mixture and act as if you’re cleaning them normally. Rinse thoroughly with distilled water and you should be good to go. If it doesn’t come out with that you may have to take them off and clay/polish them by hand. 

every time i was the car i do the vinegar treatment on the WHOLE passenger side (thats the side my sprinklers hit)  including the wheels.  and its helped.  that pic was taken AFTER last nights vinegar bath and full wash/dry.  so they are really at the point of no return LOL

23 minutes ago, Bryman312 said:

every time i was the car i do the vinegar treatment on the WHOLE passenger side (thats the side my sprinklers hit)  including the wheels.  and its helped.  that pic was taken AFTER last nights vinegar bath and full wash/dry.  so they are really at the point of no return LOL

Looks like you need to take those wheels off and use a small piece of clay inside the lug holes then. If that doesn’t take it all off, use a small dab of finishing polish with a microfiber towel and work it. One of those methods will work. 

As stated clay on the glass is great, if the spots don’t come off take the next step of the #0000 steel wool that should really help. 

‘’For the wheels, the h2o will do a decent job but a ceramic coating will obviously last much longer. As far as cloying the wheels...not sure, I might just hit them with the polisher and call it a day.