Customer Service 866.965.0400

New house/garage

Blazelow

Hey guys, 

I just built a new house, and finally have a nice garage to start new with. I just got my new tool box and some shelving put in. My main complaint is that the builder only installed 1 tiny light bulb, that is literally useless.   Do you guys have any recommendations for garage lighting.   I found a set that I like but I think they put out like 4000 lumens each and that might be overkill. 

P.S. I was a member here years ago, went on a hiatus, forgot my login info, so here I am back again. 

12 minutes ago, Blazelow said:

Hey guys, 

I just built a new house, and finally have a nice garage to start new with. I just got my new tool box and some shelving put in. My main complaint is that the builder only installed 1 tiny light bulb, that is literally useless.   Do you guys have any recommendations for garage lighting.   I found a set that I like but I think they put out like 4000 lumens each and that might be overkill. 

P.S. I was a member here years ago, went on a hiatus, forgot my login info, so here I am back again. 

I went to Lowes and got the 4' Utelitrich LED's with the chain so I could select how many I want to have on, because as you said they can get very bright.  Then good thing is when you have mustang ripped apart and are trying to line up engine and tranny at night, you can get some real light in the garage.  It also helps when you need to get light angles to see different spots on the car, just turn off a light and it changes the optics rather well.  Look for one with a lens cover since it helps disperse the light.

24 minutes ago, RayS said:

I went to Lowes and got the 4' Utelitrich LED's with the chain so I could select how many I want to have on, because as you said they can get very bright.  Then good thing is when you have mustang ripped apart and are trying to line up engine and tranny at night, you can get some real light in the garage.  It also helps when you need to get light angles to see different spots on the car, just turn off a light and it changes the optics rather well.  Look for one with a lens cover since it helps disperse the light.

Do you know the lumen output of those lights by any chance?

31 minutes ago, MikeSoFlo said:

Check out this video, great idea for garage lighting. I'm doing some remodeling on a house I just bought and will be using some of the ideas from this video. 

I wish I had the funds for his garage!   That is awesome. 

7 minutes ago, pirahnah3 said:

Congrats on the new house and garage, love the toolbox, and gotta love that light lol. 

Thank you, sir.   Cant wait for it to be organized and cleaned.  Now if I can keep all my wife's stuff out of the garage I will be a happy man.     :xfingers:

17 minutes ago, Blazelow said:

Thank you, sir.   Cant wait for it to be organized and cleaned.  Now if I can keep all my wife's stuff out of the garage I will be a happy man.     :xfingers:

And that is EXACTLY why I am building a detached garage, because winter is cold and she wont walk out there to get stuff lol. 

1 hour ago, MikeSoFlo said:

Check out this video, great idea for garage lighting. I'm doing some remodeling on a house I just bought and will be using some of the ideas from this video. 

Thank you so much for sharing this. These are garage goals. I am getting a new house (condo) with a 2 car garage in August and it has the one light bulb like mentioned above. I am going to take what the guy in the video did and try to replicate it with cheaper products. I don't think I need that high quality but I want white walls, bright lights, some kind of work space, and a floor coating if I can afford it. 

8 hours ago, Blazelow said:

Do you know the lumen output of those lights by any chance?

I looked at the Lowes site and they are no longer available and I checked the Utilitech site itself and they are not listed.  I found a very similar setup on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/OOOLED-4800LM-Daylight-Worklight-Fixture/dp/B078BX42XS/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1532079300&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=led+shop+light&psc=1  

I know mine are a lower output than the ones I found Amazon, I believe they were 4000,  and I have had them about 4 or 5 years and they have worked without an issue.  I know they were more expensive at the time, I think they were around $60 for each light.

Similar to you, I had to go from a single bulb that I changed to a box to having a set of lights that I could control.  That is where the linkable lights with the chains came in handy.   If I get to where I can remodel the garage, I will have better lighting wired with multiple switches.  The garage comes after the 2 bathrooms and kitchen.

1 hour ago, BHarris23 said:

I got 2 shop lights with built in LED bulbs. They were $20 each at Costco. Only problem with them were they are plug-in instead of wired. 

That's an easy fix.  Just cut the plugs off and wire them up. 

Or swap out the light socket for a plug so that you can use it for anything really. 

I have come to really love plugs over hard wired lights especially on the cheaper ones because issues seem to always come up in a year or two. 

4 minutes ago, Blazelow said:

Those look decent.  I wonder if there is a way to mount them directly to the ceiling. Dont think I want them to hang down. 

I believe so. I'm going to have my electrician mount them, I don't want them hanging either. 

1 hour ago, MikeSoFlo said:

I believe so. I'm going to have my electrician mount them, I don't want them hanging either. 

You can mount them directly on ceiling. You will have to remove lights to access the cover plate to anchor to a stud. Anything with 4100k and above should give you the look of daylight. Wiring is easy turn switch off or tape it put a sign so no one will turn it on or can go to breaker and turn breaker off. Show us some picture when completed

I bought 2 of these bad boys.......    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-4-ft-4-Light-T5-High-Output-White-Fluorescent-High-Bay-with-Lamps-Included-IBZT5-4/205311298

They put out about 20k lumens each, and use T5 HO bulbs rated at 5000k.  I will put up pics as soon as I clean up the wiring and the garage, but man are these things bright.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have seven 4' LED lights from Lowes. I tied them all in together. I think its like a total of 22,500 lumen in my two car garage and its like daylight in there. Check out my @customgarageadditcts page on Instagram. I post a ton of "average joe" garages. I started it when I was remodeling my 22x19 garage and had to doa ton of research for it. Hope this helps.