Customer Service 866.965.0400

APC and Poision Ivy

vollychief

Members, Esteemed Colleagues and the Pools of Knowledge:

I was helping with a ground search and rescue for a missing person recently and I'm sure I walked through poison ivy.  I don't know how susceptible I am to poison ivy or any other poison type plant.  I had it once and really don't want to have a repeat event.  I took precautions when I got home to "wash" the oils off of me and I will be washing my clothes separately followed by an empty rinse load in the washing machine. 

For the items that I can't put in the washing machine such as my boots, belt, pack, etc., would APC be a good product to remove any poison ivy oils? 

Thanks for your help! 

It should help.  It is a mainly a degreaser, but you may want to dilute 1:1 with distilled water, or even down to 1:4 for use on the fabrics.  

I wonder if steam would be better?  A real steamer, or even an iron? 

10 hours ago, pirahnah3 said:

Absolutely.  Technu and Zanfel are the two things to have around.

I am immune to it so far, but my wife is not. When we bought our acreage we had poison ivy 40' into the trees and vines 1 1/2" in diameter.  I pulled them out with a chain and tractor.  So we are no stranger to it and Cindy has found that Technu and Zanfel are must haves.

If you get it, wash hard with a wash cloth. Scrubbing the skin is key.

As far as clothes, regular laundry detergent works fine as long as you wash on hot.