Customer Service 866.965.0400

1981 Ford Fairmont Detail!

cwp2016nd

Hey guys!

I had the pleasure to resurrect a 1981 Fairmont this passed Saturday. It is original single stage paint (besides the right side fender/door) and was SUPER hard paint. Took about 5 hours from start to finish on this one. Here are some pictures! 

Before anything was done 

X4Phx0a.jpg

FfrF0VK.jpg

9qAMj86.jpg

Paint decontamination at work...

B0MS1PK.jpg

ElPk84U.jpg

Half of the trunk done with an orange pad and correcting polish

UYyJiBN.jpg

A nice before/after on the drivers side door

YY9IwRJ.jpg

The final results!! 

r7cikIg.jpg

SytFffb.jpg

yV6jBR1.jpg

Dv9ykUY.jpg

tMHngGQ.jpg

Adam's products used...

Correcting Polish

Swirl Killer 21mm

Swirl Killer 12mm

Iron Remover

Wheel Cleaner

VRT

Leather Conditioner (For vinyl top)

Detail Spray 

Enjoy! It was about 90 degrees outside and I drank more than a gallon of water on this one and STILL got dehydrated. It came out nice though. 

Edited by cwp2016nd

15 minutes ago, tlbullet said:

Wow. What a difference.great owrk!    Im not familar with single stage paint ..but are u going to use the finishing polish? I see u only listed the CP. just curious to see what the FP would do. 

Single stage paint just means there is no clear coat. It is only paint on the panel which is why it looked "ashy" from oxidation. 

The finish polish wouldn't do much of anything to the naked eye to be honest. The paint was so far gone all I wanted to do was get rid of the oxidation and bring some color back to the surface. The correcting polish got me there faster than finishing polish. 

For fun, I wetsanded a small part of the trunk and used heavy compound, followed by correction polish and it didn't do anything for the finish so my best guess is the paint has been beat up and neglected for FAR too long. There are a ton of bird drop etchings and deep scratches in the paint as well. 

Edited by cwp2016nd

29 minutes ago, RayS said:

I did not expect to see those results especially on the trunk.  Nice job!

Thank you! 

It was my first time working with single stage paint. It was HARD paint. I know an orange pad and correcting polish is not aggressive, but after a section pass it removed minimal paint (I measured before and after with a paint thickness gauge). It turned out nicer than I thought it would.