Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Mitt pointers

BlackScat392

Question

18 answers to this question

Nothing hard to it.  Just be sure to keep the area  you're working on well lubed.  I like using Detail Spray as my lubricant of choice, others use Waterless Wash and other products. I also prefer the clay bar over the mitt.  But it's just personal choice. Either works.

1 hour ago, BlackScat392 said:

I've been stocking up on my Adam's products and came across the clay mitt. I know clay bar is a must but I've never done it. Does anyone have tips or tricks for a first time clayer? lol

Because pictures (read: videos) are worth a thousand words, here's a video for both the mitt and the clay. Personally, I find myself using the mitt more now because of the time it saves. But clay is great, too. Recommend you perform the baggie test Adam describes at the start of the Visco clay video just so you can feel the difference...it pretty remarkable. 

You can clay whenever you feel necessary. After long trips, when the baggie test shows its needed, etc. Just realize it may cause some marring, especially the mitt, so that may lead to paint  correction before you wanted to do so. You can/should clay glass, too, so don't forget that. The current formula of PS should last at least 6 months, by the way. 

Oh, and questions are expected and encouraged. So ask away!! :cheers:

I prefer clay bar because even Adam says it is safer and the mitt has the potential to leave fine scratches.  Probably depends a lot on the paint and color but I really don't think I need it. I have considered using it as a monthly cleaning tool on my ceramic coated white truck.

You do not always need to do paint correction after clay barring.  Paint correction is "buffing" and Adams has a few paint correction products for completing that task.

All of this depends on your needs. If you have a black show car that you want to look perfect then yes you probably want to do paint correction.

7 hours ago, BlackScat392 said:

When you say paint correction, what products are you referring to? Do I need to use a polish everytime I clay the car?

I use both products, but prefer the mitt when doing my truck because of the size and long flat panels. Can do it with a mitt in a lot shorter time. I have always planned on polishing the vehicle after claying due to most of the time you may/will get some marring with either product. 

7 hours ago, n_burton9 said:

Once you're done using the mitt, is there a proper way to clean/store it to help prevent scratches on your next use?

I always rinse it out, let it dry, and put it back in the plastic case it came in. Cleaning it after use is what will help most to remove any contaminants. But some marring should be expected regardless just given its design.

So would it be safe to say that using an actual clay bar, as oppose to a mitt, yields less marring and scratches, but obviously consumes more time? I'd like to decontaminate Grace, and I'm willing to take the necessary time it takes to do it the most effective way. Thanks 

3 hours ago, Grace_the_M5 said:

So would it be safe to say that using an actual clay bar, as oppose to a mitt, yields less marring and scratches, but obviously consumes more time? I'd like to decontaminate Grace, and I'm willing to take the necessary time it takes to do it the most effective way. Thanks 

Presumably, yes, but either can cause it. They are both highly effective ways to decontaminate so you can't go wrong either way. One key difference: if you drop the clay, it's general practice to replace it; one way to help is split it in half so you have a spare. If you drop the mitt (you won't since it fits in your hand...unless you're doing some really crazy maneuvers :willy:) just rinse and keep going. Whichever you choose, just be sure the surface is well lubricated...DS or diluted RW 641:1 work perfectly.

Bogtom line, you'll probably want to polish after either the clay or mitt, so the decision is yours on which one you'll use. The mitt is significantly faster in my experience.

Here's an easy, short answer for you. 

In my experience, if you plan on polishing the vehicle after you clay the vehicle, use the mitt because it saves time. 

If you are NOT going to polish it afterwards, use the clay bar as it has less potential to scratch/marr the vehicle. 

I'm personally not a huge fan of clay mitts for my own reasons but they both work. 

Edited by cwp2016nd

I know this is pretty late but I just joined Adam’s forums as of recent and just came across this. But I’ve used clay bar from a different brand as well as a clay mitt that I currently still use. I must say I love the ease of use of the mitt vs the bar, not that the bar is difficult to use. But I love how with the mitt I use the soap from the bucket......same bucket that I use to clean the car with. And constantly emerge the mitt inside for cleaning and applying to the car again. Vs the clay bar you can drop it on the ground easier than a clay mitt and have to use specific lube like detail spray, rinseless wash diluted to a detail spray or clay lube. And the surface area you cover is much smaller. I have not noticed any scratches or marring with the mitt but I have seen some marring with clay bar in the past. Both products have brought me super smooth finishes. 

11 hours ago, Grace_the_M5 said:

DF24 your insight is greatly appreciated. I’ve heard the clay mitts are a lot simply to use. Thanks again! Enjoy the photo. 

6D759018-1440-4D59-92AB-842388A4DEAB.jpeg

Goals! Haha, would love a bmw. Preferably manual tranny.  RIP manual 😭