Customer Service 866.965.0400

Honest opinions wanted

Hamilton Detail

First off, I'd like to give a little background.  Being an engineer is my day job, but I have a huge passion for detailing cars.  I've been detailing cars since I was 13 years old.  I also detail cars on the side.  I do not advertise this side business.  It is simply spread by word of mouth.  

So I finally decided I need to put together a flyer with pricing instead of making up prices for people on the fly.  So I want to get your opinion on this.  What do you think?  Any changes you would make? 

Detail.thumb.png.f8a96ff51fb70b6dd869483b4296e172.png 

A few thoughts from a fellow business owner...

- You don’t include what’s really included. For example, on a “pro interior detail,” what does that cover?  Extraction?  Steaming?  Or just brushes and a shop vac?  “Machine polished” could mean a simple single stage or could mean three or four?  People are more likely to part with their money when they understand what they’re getting. 

- I’d lose the add-on services.  Or at least a lot of them. They confuse people. And quite honestly, your prices seem extremely low. I know it varies based upon your locale, but there’s no way you’re doing a paint correction on a car for $60. True paint correction for us is $85/hour. We build in regular steps of polish into our prices but if you want the true correction...it’s done hourly and it’s $85 per. 

- Ceramic coating for $300?  Again, what’s it include?  Can I expect wheels off and barrels done?  All trim?  

- On our website we provide with range of prices. Using your sheet, I can bring you my SUV and have it done for the same cost as a SmartCar. You set yourself up for a headache at that point when you try to deviate. 

- Your prices seem low. Like really low. We won’t do an interior for less than your “Pro Detail.” And even at that price, I’ve been leaning towards a price increase. That being said we have blowers, extractor, steamer, etc to justify our cost and we make that clear. Quite honestly at those prices when you figure in your costs, you’re working for little to no money and certainly not leaving money on the table to reinvest and grow. 

If you check my post history you’ll find a bunch of thoughts on how we run the business and how we research some options we offer. 

I agree w Shane..for $60-full correction—give me the first appointment u have!!  Assume ur gonna need at least 2 pads which cost about $30. Plus the polishes.  

-CC kit gonna cost u $115- leaves you $185 for other supplies/labor. 

Basic detail seems priced right.  But upgrade to “pro detail”. differences includes clay, strip wash and polish.. grest deal for customer for only $50 more.  Seems like a lot a labor for u for only $50.  

Best of luck. ????

Just my non-professional opinion!!   Dont want u to lose money!! 

25 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

A few thoughts from a fellow business owner...

- You don’t include what’s really included. For example, on a “pro interior detail,” what does that cover?  Extraction?  Steaming?  Or just brushes and a shop vac?  “Machine polished” could mean a simple single stage or could mean three or four?  People are more likely to part with their money when they understand what they’re getting. 

- I’d lose the add-on services.  Or at least a lot of them. They confuse people. And quite honestly, your prices seem extremely low. I know it varies based upon your locale, but there’s no way you’re doing a paint correction on a car for $60. True paint correction for us is $85/hour. We build in regular steps of polish into our prices but if you want the true correction...it’s done hourly and it’s $85 per. 

- Ceramic coating for $300?  Again, what’s it include?  Can I expect wheels off and barrels done?  All trim?  

- On our website we provide with range of prices. Using your sheet, I can bring you my SUV and have it done for the same cost as a SmartCar. You set yourself up for a headache at that point when you try to deviate. 

- Your prices seem low. Like really low. We won’t do an interior for less than your “Pro Detail.” And even at that price, I’ve been leaning towards a price increase. That being said we have blowers, extractor, steamer, etc to justify our cost and we make that clear. Quite honestly at those prices when you figure in your costs, you’re working for little to no money and certainly not leaving money on the table to reinvest and grow. 

If you check my post history you’ll find a bunch of thoughts on how we run the business and how we research some options we offer. 

Thanks Shane!  This was a true eye opener to me.  Since this isn't what I do for a living, I have no clue on what I should charge.  Kinda went with, "that sounds about right".  I'm for sure going to put more thought into version #2.  Once I complete version #2, I'll re-post it again on here to get your thoughts.  

5 minutes ago, tlbullet said:

I agree w Shane..for $60-full correction—give me the first appointment u have!!  Assume ur gonna need at least 2 pads which cost about $30. Plus the polishes.  

-CC kit gonna cost u $115- leaves you $185 for other supplies/labor. 

Basic detail seems priced right.  But upgrade to “pro detail”. differences includes clay, strip wash and polish.. grest deal for customer for only $50 more.  Seems like a lot a labor for u for only $50.  

Best of luck. ????

Just my non-professional opinion!!   Dont want u to lose money!! 

Thanks JR!  It for sure sounds like I need to rethink the pricing.  I guess I'll need to crunch some numbers to come up with something more realistic.  

I’ll also add that a $15 headlight restoration?!?  Some materials and the time to do it right and you may as well hand the client some cash when they pick their car up. Headlight restoration usually runs in the area of $100, often times more if you get into wetsanding and applying a coating over the top when it’s done. 

Seems that figuring out pricing is a matter here. So let’s get into it a bit. 

When figuring our pricing, you’re setting a few things. A target time for the job. And a target profit margin. In order to figure that out, you need to find your expenses. 

- How much is the product you consume per job?

- How much wear do you put on your consumables?  You don’t need new pads every time, but you will need to place orders. 

- How much are towels?  How often are you replacing them?

- How much is your time worth?  What are you paying yourself?  

- How much do you want to leave for other business related expenses and surprises? Expansion?  Etc. I just cut a sizable check for accreditation through another supplier. And before that it was a very sizable investment in PPF (inventory, cutter, training).  You need to plan expansion. 

Once you know your expenses, that’s your minimum to break even. From there you need to pad those numbers. At your pricing, you aren’t paying yourself much after expenses. And you certainly aren’t leaving anything on the table in the business for growth or other expenses. 

You can reduce cost (or increase margin) by buying smart. Don’t limit your product selections within reason and when you buy less expensive, your margin goes up without impacting the client. We buy towels in bulk for example. 100 at a time. It’s cheaper for me. 

And this isn’t my full time business either, but I did get it set up as a legal entity and all that so we are legit. I have a career as a firefighter. But if I’m taking time away from my family to work, it needs to be profitable to do so and improve us. 

Edited by shane@detailedreflections

I am now following this. I am in the same boat. This isn't my full time job but I'd like to make some money on the side because I enjoy cleaning up cars. I didn't really know where to start. I wanted to jump right in and do everything and make as much money as possible. Shane and a few other suggested that I get some practice in to see how long different tasks take and how much product is used.

My family has a few cars to practice on. I detailed the interior on my aunt's Miata a month or so ago. It took a few hours. I charged $40. I know I need to charge more for that and get a few other supplies so I can properly clean different materials. I detailed the exterior last week for $80. To me, that is fair. 3-4 hours, wash, clay, wax, wheel clean, tire shine, and glass. Again, I need some more supplies for future details. I detailed my cousin's Dart, interior only. She has 2 kids. It was a disaster. I charged $80 and probably should've charged at least $120. Again, more supplies will be needed for others but they were thrilled. My brother asked for a full detail on their Traverse and after last weekend, I think I have a better idea of time and price. 

My suggestion is to detail family and friend's cars and keep track of how long different tasks take and how much product is used. Write everything down and figure out what break even is. I am no pro and I have a ways to go but I am getting started. 

9 minutes ago, Bscott94 said:

I am now following this. I am in the same boat. This isn't my full time job but I'd like to make some money on the side because I enjoy cleaning up cars. I didn't really know where to start. I wanted to jump right in and do everything and make as much money as possible. Shane and a few other suggested that I get some practice in to see how long different tasks take and how much product is used.

My family has a few cars to practice on. I detailed the interior on my aunt's Miata a month or so ago. It took a few hours. I charged $40. I know I need to charge more for that and get a few other supplies so I can properly clean different materials. I detailed the exterior last week for $80. To me, that is fair. 3-4 hours, wash, clay, wax, wheel clean, tire shine, and glass. Again, I need some more supplies for future details. I detailed my cousin's Dart, interior only. She has 2 kids. It was a disaster. I charged $80 and probably should've charged at least $120. Again, more supplies will be needed for others but they were thrilled. My brother asked for a full detail on their Traverse and after last weekend, I think I have a better idea of time and price. 

My suggestion is to detail family and friend's cars and keep track of how long different tasks take and how much product is used. Write everything down and figure out what break even is. I am no pro and I have a ways to go but I am getting started. 

Not to pick apart for what is “fair” to you. But $80 for 3-4 hours of work is $20-$26.66/hour BEFORE your expenses. Take supplies out and equipment and you’re realistically working for maybe $10-12/hour and not leaving anything on the table for future growth. 

Also, you’re training clients that you can and will work for very little. Once you start that cycle, it’s difficult to break. They’ll tell someone and they’ll come say “hey, you did so and so for $40. Do it for me?” At that point you look bad if you say no. 

Throw a discount here and there, but don’t work for free. 

Sometimes I will offer a heavily discounted service to a good client if i want to try something. It’s a win for both, but it has to be a client that we trust and have a relationship with. 

If you don’t value your time/work, who will?  

1 minute ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Not to pick apart for what is “fair” to you. But $80 for 3-4 hours of work is $20-$26.66/hour BEFORE your expenses. Take supplies out and equipment and you’re realistically working for maybe $10-12/hour and not leaving anything on the table for future growth. 

Also, you’re training clients that you can and will work for very little. Once you start that cycle, it’s difficult to break. They’ll tell someone and they’ll come say “hey, you did so and so for $40. Do it for me?” At that point you look bad if you say no. 

Throw a discount here and there, but don’t work for free. 

Sometimes I will offer a heavily discounted service to a good client if i want to try something. It’s a win for both, but it has to be a client that we trust and have a relationship with. 

If you don’t value your time/work, who will?  

That's a good point. I appreciate the input. I think it was closer to 3 hours. And If I put my mind to it and worked hard, It would take less time. I took breaks to find supplies and talk to my dad and get a drink so I wasn't really pushing myself. I gave her the family discount. There's a guy up here that does great work from what I have seen and he is offering full exterior detail for $50. I'll look for his Facebook post to see what is included but there is no way I can compete with that. He can't be making any money. 

3 minutes ago, Bscott94 said:

That's a good point. I appreciate the input. I think it was closer to 3 hours. And If I put my mind to it and worked hard, It would take less time. I took breaks to find supplies and talk to my dad and get a drink so I wasn't really pushing myself. I gave her the family discount. There's a guy up here that does great work from what I have seen and he is offering full exterior detail for $50. I'll look for his Facebook post to see what is included but there is no way I can compete with that. He can't be making any money. 

Found it. This is what someone is offering on Facebook

I’m starting a new 50$ detail deal.

-Exterior wash / no interior work 
-Clay bar work 
-Full hand applied wax 
-Rim and tire clean / shine

*Bikes are welcome! Full detail on bikes for 50$

Edited by Bscott94

36 minutes ago, Bscott94 said:

-Clay bar work 
-Full hand applied wax 

I’d be weary of techniques and products used on that “full detail.” Depending on what products he uses and how good he is, it could be worth only $50 but might not be a very good detail. ??‍♂️

Just now, BHarris23 said:

I’d be weary of techniques and products used on that “full detail.” Depending on what products he uses and how good he is, it could be worth only $50 but might not be a very good detail. ??‍♂️

Yeah, I wouldn't pay for a detail. I'll do it myself. I have see a couple pictures of what he has done and it looks like good work. That just seems too cheap.

23 minutes ago, Bscott94 said:

-Clay bar work 
-Full hand applied wax 

I would really have to question the quality of the products being used and the detail of of the work to that for $50.   At least with those prices, he won't be doing it very long and you won't have any competition to worry about.   

I will hand wash a sedan for $50 and use H20 Guard and Gloss as the drying agent along with hitting the wheels with Eco Wheel Cleaner and Tire & Rubber Cleaner, which takes about an hour and $10 worth of product.  Don't forget to calculate the cost of washing the towels and the MicroFiber Revitalizer along with the water usage if you are on city water or electricity if you are on a well.  

That leaves me $40 of which the US Government is taking 15% for Social Security tax, then you have your regular US income tax estimate 8%, state tax estimate 6% - I round up to 35%, just to make sure I keep enough in the bank for taxes and fees.   $40 - $14 (35%), which leaves you with $26 for the hour you spent washing the car.   Fortunately, I don't have to hire an accountant to do the quarterly and annual business taxes, I'm married to one.