Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wiper Arms

PacificNWBuckeye

I have a 2002 Dakota I bought used, the paint is ok for daily driver and I will work on correction at some point. It has a plastic cowl under the wiper arms. I had to pull the arms and the cowl to clean out the drains. While off I cleaned and gave the cowl a coating of SVRT, so it now looked pretty new. My wiper arms are showing their age, chalky possible spots worn through to metal. Any idea of a paint type used on the arms?

10 hours ago, PacificNWBuckeye said:

I have a 2002 Dakota I bought used, the paint is ok for daily driver and I will work on correction at some point. It has a plastic cowl under the wiper arms. I had to pull the arms and the cowl to clean out the drains. While off I cleaned and gave the cowl a coating of SVRT, so it now looked pretty new. My wiper arms are showing their age, chalky possible spots worn through to metal. Any idea of a paint type used on the arms?

I have had good luck with the Rust-Oleum Automotive Black Matte for wiper blades: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/matte-finish/

If you take the wiper arms off, hang them on a string and use a sandblaster, you will get great results.  If you don't have a sandblaster, but do have a air compressor, this one is inexpensive and works fine for a home solution: https://www.amazon.com/Sand-Blaster-Foot-Blast-Wrench/dp/B0007D30DO

Once you have given them a good cleaning or sanding to knock off any rust, dirt, etc., and then hang the wiper arms on a string to paint.  For the painting, I try to do 3-5 coats giving about 15 minutes between coats for curing and then 3-5 hours of hanging before they are touched and put back on the vehicle.   You should get a easy 10 years before you would have to touch them up again.