Customer Service 866.965.0400

Towel or Wash Media inducing micro marring??

wely324

Question

After polishing out my black car, I applied sealant and then glaze and went about 2 weeks without washing. After the first wash I applied H2O using the wet method and drying each panel with a borderless gray. The micro scratching, which generally is only seen under the sun, seems to be following left and right motions and not swirls, but I washed and applied H2O the same. 

I'm thinking it could be from the drying process. It had been a while since I used H2O and the borderless towel seemed a bit grabby  in comparison to how I remember. 

As for my wash pad, it seems after a dirty panel where the pad turns black, it doesn't rinse. I'm guessing it's a stain or should I swap my pad out?

11 answers to this question

What process, including soaps, etc, do you use to wash and dry your towels? Please be specific. Also, did you allow the HGG to dry in the towels during a previous use? Lots of potential factors here, but if cared for properly, the MF towels won't leave swirls, etc.

I agree lots of potential issues, as listed by @falcaineer, one other thought is you mentioned that the swirls seem to be circular but that you applied the HGG in the same motion as the car was washed but do not elaborate on it. 

Also im confused on your statement on the wash pad. You state that after a dirty panel the pad doesnt clean, what was on the panel? does this come out after a wash of the pad? I dont see a pad developing a stain that easily but it is possible depending on what was on the vehicle. 

On 8/6/2018 at 12:48 PM, falcaineer said:

What process, including soaps, etc, do you use to wash and dry your towels? Please be specific. Also, did you allow the HGG to dry in the towels during a previous use? Lots of potential factors here, but if cared for properly, the MF towels won't leave swirls, etc.

I use tide soap with no fabric softeners, I wash them on warm with a cold rinse and dry using low heat till they are about 90% dry. I use to pre-soak but haven't been lately. The towels I use for the wet application are previous towels I have used with HGG, but they no longer absorb or buff dry H2O like they use too. So I now use them as a wet towel, but maybe that is the issue. 

On 8/6/2018 at 3:54 PM, pirahnah3 said:

I agree lots of potential issues, as listed by @falcaineer, one other thought is you mentioned that the swirls seem to be circular but that you applied the HGG in the same motion as the car was washed but do not elaborate on it. 

Also im confused on your statement on the wash pad. You state that after a dirty panel the pad doesnt clean, what was on the panel? does this come out after a wash of the pad? I dont see a pad developing a stain that easily but it is possible depending on what was on the vehicle. 

As for the wash pad this is how it looked after a panel or two. I switched and grabbed another wash pad after seeing it not rinse out so well. As for what was on the panels, nothing out of the ordinary. Normal dirt from driving in the rain and going to work etc. The dirt was coming off the car so easily, just not off the wash pad. 

How do you guys wash your wash pads?

IMG_1140.JPG

4 minutes ago, wely324 said:

I use tide soap with no fabric softeners, I wash them on warm with a cold rinse and dry using low heat till they are about 90% dry. I use to pre-soak but haven't been lately. The towels I use for the wet application are previous towels I have used with HGG, but they no longer absorb or buff dry H2O like they use too. So I now use them as a wet towel, but maybe that is the issue. 

As for the wash pad this is how it looked after a panel or two. I switched and grabbed another wash pad after seeing it not rinse out so well. As for what was on the panels, nothing out of the ordinary. Normal dirt from driving in the rain and going to work etc. The dirt was coming off the car so easily, just not off the wash pad. 

IMG_1140.JPG

How I clean my wash pad is like this thanks to this video..  

26 minutes ago, wely324 said:

IMG_1140.JPG

Regular Tide, or Tide Free & Clear? If the former, that's probalby your issue as perfumes and dyes can cause issues with the microfibers, gumming them up and causing reduced performance. If the latter, that could work, but I would highly recommend you use the MRB for washing towels. Here's a great article on the process:

The video  @wildcatz80 posted is how I wash my pads, too. Good stuff there.

Strange that the wash pad would not come clean, wonder if there was something else on the paint that you were unaware of. Were you able to clean it off after? 

As for the towels, if they are gummed up with stuff that can casue the problems. To ask it again, how do you treat your pannels, if the scratches are circular how are you moving any and all products across the surface, lets try to find WHAT put it in and then we can solve what put it there. 

I use to have microfiber revitalizer but ran out. I'm using a liquid tide free and clear. 

To clarify the scratching is mostly left to right. I'll try to get some pictures.

As far as cleaning and applying H2O, I wash each panel using the two bucket method. I then rinse the car and then go ahead and apply H2O. I put one spray in the towel and then go ahead and do one spray per panel using a wet towel to spread it, and then buff dry with a borderless gray. The wet towel i'm using is a little more plush than the borderless gray, but similar. As for direction of motion I try my best to stay with the direction of windflow over the car when washing or using a towel on the paint. 

The H2O is definitely on there as it is beading much better than the sealant/brilliant glaze on there. 

On 8/8/2018 at 2:57 PM, pirahnah3 said:

Sounds like something was in a towel or in the wash pad. 

That's what I'm thinking, or maybe just need different towels. The borderless gray did not seem to glide smoothly when drying after h2o...